Nikon Coolpix mounted on Phantom 2

Reaction score
Hi!
Was not to happy with the Gopro3 stills so I decided to try mount an Coolpix on my Phantom 2.

And yes, Its kind of a success :mrgreen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45d8Nca8Lr8[/youtube]

1. Glued a flat Gopro mount and a piece of aluminum on the top of the camera. (over the flash, no need for that)
2. Mounted a FMS 9gram servo on the aluminum with strips and shortened the servo arm.
3. Mounted the Coolpix on Ebay carbofiber mount (Tripod screw and secured with tape)
4. Made my own powercabel with male/female servo connector and hooked it up to servo and F2 on Naza.(gimbal pitch) Now I can trigger the shutter with slide lever on Phantom remote

P1060072.JPG
P1060073.JPG

P1060078.JPG
P1060080.JPG

Total weight: 1.3KG (Phantom 2 max take-off weight)
Not so beautiful, but it works and the Phantom flies like a baws :D

The camera is not the best, but it beats the Gopro. Just need to figure out the best settings, these pics are on auto and the light was terrible today.
Next mod is adding a genTIMER, but then I need to figure out another way to get power. (constant 4.5 – 5 volts)
http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/control/gentimer.htm

DSCN0093_fotor1.jpg

DSCN0095_Fotor2.jpg

DSCN0100_Fotor3.jpg

Health Robinson lives! Well done for your ingenuity and the rather nice results.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I've been doing some experimentation with my Samsung NX1100 that hangs under my Phantom 2 on the stillest of days, and here are the settings that I use:

Shutter speed; auto or 1/15 of a second
ISO; 800
F-number; 5

I'm trying to do high detail photo-scanning, which means that I want limited depth of field, and crisp details. Colour is less important for me ... so I've set ISO as high as it can go without an increase in graininess, and shutter speed is quick, so that vibrations don't wreck the image.

Tosi can you explain me please how you got the servo working? with putting it on the gimbal pitch control?

sincerely chris

chrisverst said:
Tosi can you explain me please how you got the servo working? with putting it on the gimbal pitch control?

sincerely chris

Sorry, has been busy flying for a while, not so much surfing :mrgreen:

Just made my own cabel using servo male servo connector on inside and female on outside, connected it to the F2 port on Naza:

P1080587.JPG

This is the outside:

P1080589.JPG

Now I just mount the camera on the Phantom and connect the cabel from servo my homemade. Just make sure the wiring comes out right on both sides. I also got the genTimer, but haven´t tried it out yet. (the small thing beside the Coolpix) I must admit I haven´t used the camera since this was posted, but the setup will be more handy this summer :)

P1080719.JPG

Edit:
Servo wiring, black on top in Naza F2 port:

jrconnector.png

Hi Tosi, I've just got Phantom 2 the othe day and have coolpix so looking to do the same. I'm having trouble tracking down right carbon fibre anti-vibration mount - any suggestions?
cheers!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31