Night flight with vision and LED SPOTLIGHTS

Reaction score
Hi,

Didn't realise how great the vision cam is in ultra low light.
Cable tied 2 x 700 lumen LED torches to skids and filmed in pitch black.
Results were very crisp and clean.
Flight time reduced to 17 mins with extra weight.

Phil

Wow, two 700 lumen flashlights? I have a 700 lumen flashlight but it's too heavy to strap to a Phantom. Please share some info on the lights.

Thanks,

Dan

I flew mine in thick fog at night, the other day with no lights strapped to it but it was neat.... When I landed the PV was pretty wet with dew which worried me... I'll post the vid soon

http://youtu.be/NZR-alEU9r4

I flew mine in thick fog for a 5 mi utes then got an eerie feeling like I should land. So I did. After stopping the motors, it was then the props were dripping with water and the top of the P2V was wet!

Flew mine last night to capture a local house that has an extravagant Christmas display:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcyvjeYDc9w[/youtube]

Not entirely happy with the outcome (color temp is off, contrast is high) but the Vision sure is easy to spot in the night sky! (The red/green indicators go well with the Christmas theme, too)

With Adobe Photo Shop, you can help your colors stand out. Its what EVERYONE is doing. The pictures you see on the internet advertising the P2V's photos have all ben photo shopped. That's a poor representation of the camera. I was disappointed with my camera too until a started using photoshop.

EyeUpHigh said:
Flew mine last night to capture a local house that has an extravagant Christmas display:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcyvjeYDc9w[/youtube]

Not entirely happy with the outcome (color temp is off, contrast is high) but the Vision sure is easy to spot in the night sky! (The red/green indicators go well with the Christmas theme, too)

It's a little harder at night with the GP. Normally shooting with Protune on will give you a flatter image that's easier to work with in post....but Protune will show more noise so that has to be dealt with in post also.

To be honest, you;re video looks a lot better than I would expect it to, Nice work!

Never mind Protune...that wasn't shot with a GP :oops:

Very cool video idea. I was thinking of doing the same thing. I didn't think that it would come out that well.

J

MrFlats said:
With Adobe Photo Shop, you can help your colors stand out. Its what EVERYONE is doing. The pictures you see on the internet advertising the P2V's photos have all ben photo shopped. That's a poor representation of the camera. I was disappointed with my camera too until a started using photoshop.

I wish I had thought of that - I actually trimmed the video down in Adobe Premiere before uploading to YouTube and could easily have tweaked the hue, saturation and gamma there with good results. Next time I'll do more than trim the ends before saving the file for upload.

EyeUpHigh said:
MrFlats said:

I wish I had thought of that - I actually trimmed the video down in Adobe Premiere before uploading to YouTube and could easily have tweaked the hue, saturation and gamma there with good results. Next time I'll do more than trim the ends before saving the file for upload.

It's interesting that the P2V is both a very fine flying machine and a photographic platform. It attracts RC fliers of every caliber and photographers who've never flown... as well as everyone in between. From my seat, it's amazing to read the conversations from each and every viewpoint.

I was a trained photographer back in the late '70s and still own a (pre Asahi "Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic F" SLR ) From the mid eighties on, I lapsed as I ventured into different venues.

I've also always enjoyed RC. (actually pre-RC) I was the Attleboro MA champion HO race car driver back around 1964. Slot cars were the RC of their day. I also owned a relatively large plane that was tethered to a controller. You had to walk around a barrel so you wouldn't get dizzy. It ran on a McCoy readhead engine.

I have also been a web designer and an ISP, and have had exposure to Photoshop, Paintshop, FLASH, etc...

All of the above makes it difficult for me to figure out which direction to run in ! Should I purchase all of this post-production software?

Should I just fly for the joy of flying?

All of the above???

The reason I'm drawn to the Phantom 2 Vision is exactly the reason I was drawn to computers in the first place. Technology that will never bore...

-slinger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers