Night Flight: Please re-open the discussion

In stereo :)

Reactions: BigAl07
It could be argued that lighting is a visual aid and VA's are not allowed to satisfy VLOS (other than corrective lenses).

HOWEVER, the AMA says this:
"RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations."

Got that. Still working on getting an answer from him on recreational use. Does the FAA website have a chat feature? hehe

Reactions: BigAl07 and flpholt
It will come down to interpretation of the current guidelines.
The 'law' is silent on this issue so you won't find a passage that says "yes you can" or "no you can't".

So with interpretation will come contention.

In the FAA website under Flying For Fun (recreational) there is nothing that states flying at night is forbidden. It does not appear to be forbidden. It is suggested to fly withing guidelines but nowhere do I see "you can't fly at night"

Hold on there. If your operations fall outside of 336, the FAA can potentially use 107 or even 91 against you. It's clear the FAA isn't comfortable yet with night flights but the 2012 FMRA prevents them from restricting it directly. That doesn't mean they can't consider it BVLOS or something else to get it out of the 336 safety net.

Personally. I think night flight is easier to maintain orientation from the ground and probably easier to spot from an aircraft. Hopefully, the FAA is coming around to the same realization. It seems they have a bit with 107 commercial operations.

Reactions: mikesmiley
My source is saying it's all in the FAR's Federal Aviation Regulations and is saying the Part 107 regulations are for ANY drone operators with a system over .5 lbs.

My source is saying it's all in the FAR's Federal Aviation Regulations and is saying the Part 107 regulations are for ANY drone operators with a system over .5 lbs.
You need to get a new source :(

The AMA allows it. The AMA is the unnamed 'community based org.' referred to in the guidelines IMO.

I do agree with Ian in that if you begin to operate as a hobby/rec pilot OUTSIDE the guidelines you may be charged with violations of 107 and beyond.

Charging a hobbiest for a 107 violation would be like penalizing a person driving a car for a motorcycle infraction.

How can you penalize for violation of commercial use when you are not even permitted to fly commercially?

I do agree with Ian in that if you begin to operate as a hobby/rec pilot OUTSIDE the guidelines you may be charged with violations of 107 and beyond.
Can you please state your source for this reasoning?

I have been doing a lot of night flying recently. I have Polar Pro led lights set on flashing and am flying out to about 1 mile at 400 ft. entirely over residential area with complete line of sight. I must say that my phantom looks like any other aircraft flying at night even at 1 mile. Wish I could put a strobe light on it but cant find any to buy that would be a easy install. P3P, MINI PAD2, SKYREAT WIND SURFERS.

If you followed me on Twitter (Pro-Drone-O) you'd see my P3A flying Lume Cubes. They have a strobe option and they have a kit for easy install in the landing gear. No integration with apps so you turn them on before you take off and turn them off when you land. I'm writing about them now.

Can you please state your source for this reasoning?
It's a time of great uncertainty. I do not hitch my wagon to any specific weblog interpretation.

Dronelawjournal.com

If you followed me on Twitter (Pro-Drone-O) you'd see my P3A flying Lume Cubes. They have a strobe option and they have a kit for easy install in the landing gear. No integration with apps so you turn them on before you take off and turn them off when you land. I'm writing about them now.
lume cubes overpriced just add this for 25 dollars and fly at night

The Lume Cubes are not overpriced for what they are because you can do more with them than just fly. 1)you can submerge them in 100' of water and go underwater with them and a GoPro 2) you can strobe with them and control the speed of the strobe using their smartphone app and bluetooth connection. 3) 10 levels of light output controlled by a dimmer slider on the app; way cool. 4) Phantom landing gear mount available and GoPro duel mount available, making them ideal for multitasking. The great thing about Lume Cubes are they're not just for flying. You can take them anywhere.

The Lume Cubes are not overpriced for what they are because you can do more with them than just fly. 1)you can submerge them in 100' of water and go underwater with them and a GoPro 2) you can strobe with them and control the speed of the strobe using their smartphone app and bluetooth connection. 3) 10 levels of light output controlled by a dimmer slider on the app; way cool. 4) Phantom landing gear mount available and GoPro duel mount available, making them ideal for multitasking. The great thing about Lume Cubes are they're not just for flying. You can take them anywhere.
almost 200 dollars overpriced nice try on promoting them but way overpriced can just get a flashlight due same thing

plus the mount so around 200 way to much for just a light

Reactions: liketogethigh

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav