Nice day for a high altitude flight 700 feet up

Reaction score
This video was shot on this beautiful day and to quell fears of Phantom 2 Vision problems and paranoia. This is a rock solid stable bird and great flyer. This was the first of three flawless flights I did today, now well over a dozen flights in without a problem. The flight conditions today were 55 degrees 10mph wind and altitude of 705 feet. The wifi was popping in and out as I passed 700 feet as I was standing near at least a half dozen strong wifi signals. It did great overall and nice views and even better stills which ill upload in later post if anyone wants to see. This is Queens New York. I am fully updated on all of the latest firmware flying a stock setup using my Nexus 7 for FPV. This is raw non edited footage sent straight to YouTube.

Link to the youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf0FsacYZWI

P.S. To the altitude police. 1) Model aircraft under 55LBS or less and flown within VLOS are exempt from FAA laws and regulation. The Phantom is under 3LBS and I was flying within VLOS. 2) 400 foot altitude limits is a safety standard, not a law, for model aircraft being flown less than 5 miles of an airport, and just FYI I happen to be over 7 miles. 3) No commercial or non commercial airlines fly over or within miles of the location flown. 4) The nearest planes flying were at least three miles away and at much higher altitudes than 700 feet. 5) Helicopter occasionally fly near this area and I would see and or hear them coming well before or during the flight. 6) I don't fly with reckless abandon and have taken necessary precautions and only fly within my comfort level. 7) With concern to "fly aways" many of the known issues have been sorted with firmware updates. And in many cases switching to "atti" mode can also stop one if it's in the midst of occurring. 8) If you're too concerned about possible problems, or worse case scenarios happening maybe this isn't the hobby for you and you shouldn't be flying yourself. But please don't spoil things for the rest of us with unnecessary worry or criticism.

P.P.S. To anyone still confused as to the actual and current "laws" regarding high altitude flight of radio controlled aircraft. Here's an interesting read. This is the proposal for dismissal in the case of FAA vs Trappy. An RC Plane Pilot who filmed some arial footage allegedly for profit over the UVA Campus at altitudes from 10 feet to as high as 1,500 feet. Some of the info here should shed some light as to the legalities of flying your Phantom or other model aircraft at high altitudes exceeding 400 feet. And to sum it up just in terms of regulations and law, yes as of the date of the flight and this post, it's legal.

http://www.kramerlevin.com/files/upload ... Pirker.pdf

P.P.P.S Even if a random low flying helicopter were to fly over the area that I was in. You need to realize how small the Phantom is. How slow the average helicopter flys. Also keep in mind this is not a flat surface but 3D space. Also the fact that I was flying in VLOS and could make corrections if necessary. The chances of a mid air collision with anything is so astronomically small you would literally have a better chance of getting hit by a car, struck by lightning, or winning the lottery. So enough with the doomsayers and paranoia. And lets get back to the whole point of this video which is to show how stable, reliable and safe to fly the Phantom 2 Vision really is.

Re: Nice day for a high altitude flight 700+ feet up

BenDronePilot said:
This video was shot on this beautiful day and to quell fears of Phantom 2 Vision problems and paranoia. This is a rock solid stable bird and great flyer. This was the first if three flawless flights I did today now well over a dozen flights in without a problem. The flight conditions today were 55 degrees 10mph wind and altitude of 710 feet. The wifi was popping in and out as I was standing near at least a half dozen strong wifi signals. It did great overall and nice views and even better stills which ill upload in later post if anyone wants to see. This is Queens New York. I am fully updated on all of the latest firmware flying a stock setup using my Nexus 7 for FPV. This is raw non edited footage sent straight to YouTube.

Link to my youtube video

Spectacular...

-slinger

Dude. You're very close to JFK. No worries?

BenDronePilot said:
mem_ny said:
Dude. You're very close to JFK. No worries?

Over 7 mile away no plane flys low here

Do you know how to read an aeronautical chart? Go to vfrmap.com to make sure. Controlled airspace is generally in a circle around an airport. Not just the flight paths.

BenDronePilot said:
This video was shot on this beautiful day and to quell fears of Phantom 2 Vision problems and paranoia. This is a rock solid stable bird and great flyer. This was the first of three flawless flights I did today, now well over a dozen flights in without a problem. The flight conditions today were 55 degrees 10mph wind and altitude of 710 feet. The wifi was popping in and out as I passed 700 feet as I was standing near at least a half dozen strong wifi signals. It did great overall and nice views and even better stills which ill upload in later post if anyone wants to see. This is Queens New York. I am fully updated on all of the latest firmware flying a stock setup using my Nexus 7 for FPV. This is raw non edited footage sent straight to YouTube.

Link to my youtube video

You really shouldn't go higher than 400 feet (per FAA recommendations)... especially that close to major airports. There could easily be general aviation flying at 500 feet in that area. It's very cool to fly high, but just not worth it...

race3 said:
BenDronePilot said:
This video was shot on this beautiful day and to quell fears of Phantom 2 Vision problems and paranoia. This is a rock solid stable bird and great flyer. This was the first of three flawless flights I did today, now well over a dozen flights in without a problem. The flight conditions today were 55 degrees 10mph wind and altitude of 710 feet. The wifi was popping in and out as I passed 700 feet as I was standing near at least a half dozen strong wifi signals. It did great overall and nice views and even better stills which ill upload in later post if anyone wants to see. This is Queens New York. I am fully updated on all of the latest firmware flying a stock setup using my Nexus 7 for FPV. This is raw non edited footage sent straight to YouTube.

Link to my youtube video

You really shouldn't go higher than 400 feet (per FAA recommendations)... especially that close to major airports. There could easily be general aviation flying at 500 feet in that area. It's very cool to fly high, but just not worth it...

No planes fly directly over here, and those planes that do fly anywhere near the general area are well above a couple thousand feet. The only kind of air traffic I might ever need to be concerned with would be the occasional low flying helicopter and there would be little to no worries about having issues there.

You'd only need to have concern flying close to 1,000 feet up if you're within a couple of miles of an active airport but as I stated to someone else I'm at least 7 miles from the nearest airports. So my altitude here was fine, even if I did 1,000 feet plus it would still be fine and not be anywhere near any commercial (or non commercial) flights that I've ever observed flying here and I've lived here a long time.

BenDronePilot said:
race3 said:
BenDronePilot said:

Link to my youtube video

No planes fly directly over here, and those planes that do fly anywhere near the general area are well above a couple thousand feet. The only kind of air traffic I might ever need to be concerned with would be the occasional low flying helicopter and there would be little to no worries about having issues there.

You'd only need to have concern flying close to 1,000 feet up if you're within a couple of miles of an active airport but as I stated to someone else I'm at least 7 miles from the nearest airports. So my altitude here was fine, even if I did 1,000 feet plus it would still be fine and not be anywhere near any commercial (or non commercial) flights that I've ever observed flying here and I've lived here a long time.

You have a lot to learn!

In short, keep it below 400 feet :)
for now anyways

You're not getting it. You don't need air traffic directly over you to be IN controlled airspace. If you're within 10 miles of JFK Newark OR Laguardis, the controlled areas surround and overlapping them start At the surface and extend TO 7000' AGL
just don't wanna see you on cnn....ya know? :D

BenDronePilot said:

Link to my youtube video

Nice Video, I used to live in the NYC Area.

I think a couple of good places to fly not too far from you might be Finger Lakes NY State Park. Mount Marcy is a beautiful location for Heli Flights. The Catskills are another nice place for higher elevation flights.

Have Fun Man,
Chuggie

Why does it let me delete some posts but not others? I wanted to delete this one cause I sent a corrected version after. Ah well.

Driffill said:
You have a lot to learn!

for now anyways

Believe me my flight was perfectly fine, and you too have a bit to learn too. There are no legal regulations disallowing flights over 400 feet as that is only a suggestion and not law for flights less than 5 miles from an airport and I am well beyond that. Not to mention the fact that there's no air traffic anywhere near me as I previously stated, so no worries.

If you want to complain about someone complain to those people flying their planes who can't see what's going on and several thousand feet up.

Chuggie said:
Nice Video, I used to live in the NYC Area.

I think a couple of good places to fly not too far from you might be Finger Lakes NY State Park. Mount Marcy is a beautiful location for Heli Flights. The Catskills are another nice place for higher elevation flights.

Have Fun Man,
Chuggie

Thanks for the suggestions and I'm glad you like the video :)

BenDronePilot said:
Driffill said:
You have a lot to learn!

for now anyways

Believe me my flight was perfectly fine, and you too have a bit to learn too. There are no legal regulations disallowing flights over 400 feet as that is only a suggestion and not law for flights less than 5 miles from an airport and I am well beyond that. Not to mention the fact that there's no air traffic anywhere near me as I previously stated, so no worries.

If you want to complain about someone complain to those people flying their planes who can't see what's going on and several thousand feet up.

It's an advisory by the Authority in regards to the matter. I agree that there is no specific rule stopping you from flying above 400ft, but while people like yourself flout that advice, and claim to not be doing anything wrong, could sway the authority to write the rule to enforce the 400ft limit.

I'm not a commercial pilot, but perhaps one of the other members on here who is could give you an idea of the required approach path for large aircraft, I'd imagine 7 miles from the airport would be well within the range of its decent.

And just for the record, the FAA are currently in battle with a well know RC pilot, and the flight in question was well below the 400ft un-official limit. So don't think that flying below 400ft means your fine either! Despite the lack of an official limit, they can still change you with other offences :/

FYI, I don't live in America, so none of this matters to me anyway . . . I have to abide by CASA's rules :)

BenDronePilot said:
Driffill said:
You have a lot to learn!

for now anyways

We are not trying to criticize you, we are trying to inform you of the FAA recommendations, which are perfectly appropriate. The FAA is currently re-working their laws in this area which are expected by 2015. So maybe you're not breaking the law, but I don't think it's smart to fly that high in a major metropolitan area. It's not so much commercial aircraft, but even general aviation which absolutely could be flying at 500 feet for various reasons.

For now, I think it's wise to listen to the FAA's advice. Furthermore, boasting about high altitude flying online is only going to encourage other, inexperienced and less observant folks to try the same.

Finally, with the number of unexpected fly-a-ways that people have had with these machines... you really don't want that problem at 700 feet! If it flew away and maintained 700 feet, you could EASILY be into commercial airspace near (or over!) one of the major NYC airports. It's NOT worth it!

Driffill said:
It's an advisory by the Authority in regards to the matter. I agree that there is no specific rule stopping you from flying above 400ft, but while people like yourself flout that advice, and claim to not be doing anything wrong, could sway the authority to write the rule to enforce the 400ft limit.

I'm not a commercial pilot, but perhaps one of the other members on here who is could give you an idea of the required approach path for large aircraft, I'd imagine 7 miles from the airport would be well within the range of its decent.

And just for the record, the FAA are currently in battle with a well know RC pilot, and the flight in question was well below the 400ft un-official limit. So don't think that flying below 400ft means your fine either! Despite the lack of an official limit, they can still change you with other offences :/

FYI, I don't live in America, so none of this matters to me anyway . . . I have to abide by CASA's rules :)

The RC pilot FAA battle you speak of is from someone who was making commercial use of their plane, though it's technically not illegal the FAA was trying to say he was flying recklessly by flying really close to people and what not. And that matter is currently being contested so we'll see how that all works out.

And their are no plane flight paths in the way of my flight nor do they fly anywhere near the altitude I was at. Please try reading all the information I provide before coming up with assumptions or presumptions when you don't live here and are not familiar with the area or the actual air traffic that flys anywhere near where the flight was. I appreciate the concern though it's not necessary.

awesome vid! dont let the altitude police ruin your fun!

race3 said:
BenDronePilot said:
Driffill said:
You have a lot to learn!

for now anyways

We are not trying to criticize you, we are trying to inform you of the FAA recommendations, which are perfectly appropriate. The FAA is currently re-working their laws in this area which are expected by 2015. So maybe you're not breaking the law, but I don't think it's smart to fly that high in a major metropolitan area. It's not so much commercial aircraft, but even general aviation which absolutely could be flying at 500 feet for various reasons.

For now, I think it's wise to listen to the FAA's advice. Furthermore, boasting about high altitude flying online is only going to encourage other, inexperienced and less observant folks to try the same.

Finally, with the number of unexpected fly-a-ways that people have had with these machines... you really don't want that problem at 700 feet! If it flew away and maintained 700 feet, you could EASILY be into commercial airspace near (or over!) one of the major NYC airports. It's NOT worth it!

If you're concerned about what could happen in a potential "fly away" then in theory you should not fly at any altitude anywhere as you don't know what said "fly away" behavior can result in. Flying up, sideways, miles away. Also many of the known potential causes of fly aways have been sorted with the last few updates to the Phantom's firmware. Also if you're paying close attention to your flight if you see any early sign of a fly away many of them can be prevented simply by switching to "Atti" mode and then landing to be on the safe side. Also I'm a bit too far away from either of the Airports in NYC for my Phantom to make it to either in the unlikely event of a fly away without running out of battery first.

Anyway the basic tone of your message, to me at least, is one of too much concern, or even paranoia, in which case you probably shouldn't be flying at all if you're that overfly concerned or worried about flying. Anyway I take all necessary precautions when I do my flights, regardless of distance or altitude I choose to go with. And I don't push the envelope beyond anything I feel safe or comfortable with. Just FYI. Anyway happy flying and do me and others a favor and relax a little.

Migmon said:
awesome vid! dont let the altitude police ruin your fun!

Thanks, And I second the comment on the "altitude police". Some people need to chillax

Your statements now sound a bit ignorant. I'm relaxed, as are all the other concerned posters... if anything you are TOO relaxed. I suggest you take some real flying lessons to understand airspace. Additionally, most of the reported fly-a-ways have reported flying away at the altitude of which they were at and continuing in a set direction at that altitude. In those rare situations, turning off the transmitter or switching to ATTI mode had no effect.

Regardless, that's not even my main point. The point is that you act as if it's absolutely no big deal to fly 700 feet in a major city like NYC. 500 feet is where General Aviation airspace typically begins. You should approach the topic more cautiously and respectfully... as those who have expressed their concerns have done so simply for the safety of everyone.

I've made my point... I don't feel I need to respond further.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl