Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

NFZ but still able to fly....

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by ironhead1530, Apr 19, 2016.

1. ironhead1530

I was doing some flying at a golf course yesterday and had an interesting experience. 1/2 of the course is in a NFZ and 1/2 is not. I taped some foil on my P3P and flew in ATTI to get some low flying shots in the NFZ, well below the tree line. After flying at that hole, I shut down the drone, and drove to an area that I thought was out of the NFZ. While the drone was off, I took off the foil and powered everything up. I noticed that the map and home point updated, but I was still in the NFZ. (turns out the NFZ extended onto the back 9, and I thought it was the front 9, so I was deeper into the NFZ than I was during the first flight). I thought I was going to have to fly with the foil on again, but it allowed me to take off and fly WITH GPS.

I can't remember 100%, but I think I forgot to take it out of ATTI mode when I powered up the 2nd time, then flipped the switch to P before I took off.

Any ideas why this happened? Is this a glitch and how safe is it to try and replicate? I'm unsure what would happen if it suddenly realized it was flying in a NFZ mid flight.....

2. LamboH

Around my parents house is within 5 miles of a tower controlled airport .it says nfz as soon as the app opens. I guess being within 5 miles of a nfz it still lets u fly but warns you of the location ( and you're suppose to call and check in with control tower . I think if you're at/ or less than 2 miles from the airport -that's when the motors won't start . ) Took off and landed in nfz and kept it close ----- was worried it might auto land like what one member reported happening to him when he flew in nfz

Also I believe if u take off from a Non nfz and fly into a nfz( less than 2 miles of tower controlled airport --the bird will auto land at its current position. Not too sure about this as I'm too scare to attempt. I believe it has been confirmed by another user and also by Dji reps

#2 LamboH, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  3. ironhead1530

From my experience, if you are in a RED zone, the motors won't start. A message comes up on the app that states you're in a NFZ and can't take off.

4. DefaultIT

Some of the NFZs are stepped, as I understood it: no flight within the inner radius, low flight (<100ft) within a second, larger radius, etc

5. ironhead1530

Hmmm interesting. Do they show up as different colors in the steps? Like a bullseye? I've only ever seen the zone as either all red, all yellow, etc.

6. FrequentFlyer

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

7. ironhead1530

Don't hate. It works lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app