NFZ and 1.6.4 possible new discovery??

I know how GPS works. However, I DO NOT know exactly how the phantom gets where the GPS zoned NFZs are. I didn't know if it's loaded into the maps in the app, or on the bird itself. Seems to me if you fly with no way to get map data(wifi only iPad without cached maps) you could get around it, unless the app knows not to let you fly in certain gps "fields" whether it has a map or not. Make sense?
Every time you boot up GO app, it looks for updates from remote servers, downloads them to itself, then pushes them to the quad. Once they are on the quad, Reinstalling GO doesnt make any difference. (Unless you blocked internet before downloading the NFZ database)

1.3, to 1.4 to 1.5 to 1.6 to 1.7 seem to have a progressive implementation of the GEO.

I have formatted, install clean "old" version of GO, blocked it from internet, went to an NFZ with Litchi, and GO, neither will allow the quad to start. Guys have found it to be true that once it it pushed to the quad, its there. Without reverting ability on the fw, or a way to wipe the bird clean, nothing "yet" can be done each time you upgrade, or update. I have found the ability to downgrade the RC, and its still in the quad. Don't be surprised if you update, you see more NFZs as time goes on.
(we have yet to be able to clear the NFZ database once its in the quad)

I can tell you this, I updated the phantom but left GO at 2.3 and controller at 1.4 and as soon as I connected it all together to fly there were NFZs but GO was connected to LTE. Map caching is off, so I wonder if I take a wifi only iPad and restore it from the backup of the one with 2.3 GO and never connect it to the Internet how it will react.
Once its in the quad, (at this time) you cant get rid of it.
The file has all the coordinates of the NFZs with a 0 or 1 next to it. When Go reaches the servers, DJI can update allowed or not by changing the 1 to a 0 vice versa.

I always wondered how if you write DJI a letter with permission, they can give it to just you without others. This explains how.

It was discovered a few months back , once the app switched to Go, that the app phones home whenever there is an active data connection, and updates NFZs. The FW/update that enabled flight modes also included the plumbing for app side NFZ updates, and was the bait because everyone wanted follow-me and poi, but once installed no one could roll back. Pretty genius on DJIs part, IMO. It's the equivalent of Apple saying "oh hey, if you update to this version Siri will come to life and pleasure you on command, and in exchange we get to data mine your online activity".

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

It was discovered a few months back , once the app switched to Go, that the app phones home whenever there is an active data connection, and updates NFZs. The FW/update that enabled flight modes also included the plumbing for app side NFZ updates, and was the bait because everyone wanted follow-me and poi, but once installed no one could roll back. Pretty genius on DJIs part, IMO. It's the equivalent of Apple saying "oh hey, if you update to this version Siri will come to life and pleasure you on command, and in exchange we get to data mine your online activity".

But I'm still a little confused because the only change I made is going from 1.4 to 1.6. Didn't update GO or RC.

But I'm still a little confused because the only change I made is going from 1.4 to 1.6. Didn't update GO or RC.
RC is irrelevant, it just sends stick input. The fact that you have the Go app means it phones home. DJI had this in the works for a long time, and the Go app, any version, introduced the background service that updates NFZs in real time, provided there is an active data connection (ie, you cache your maps pre-flight, at a minimum). IMO

RC is irrelevant, it just sends stick input. The fact that you have the Go app means it phones home. DJI had this in the works for a long time, and the Go app, any version, introduced the background service that updates NFZs in real time, provided there is an active data connection (ie, you cache your maps pre-flight, at a minimum). IMO

So, why doesn't this happen with 1.4 firm?

So, why doesn't this happen with 1.4 firm?
We are pretty sure it was put there at 1.4 but was much more "dormant" allowing you to fly. When you went to 1.6, not only did it update the coordinates, but it turned on some of the zones.

Once its in the quad, (at this time) you cant get rid of it.
The file has all the coordinates of the NFZs with a 0 or 1 next to it. When Go reaches the servers, DJI can update allowed or not by changing the 1 to a 0 vice versa.

I always wondered how if you write DJI a letter with permission, they can give it to just you without others. This explains how.

So, just voicing an idea, don't shoot me. If this is so, has anyone looked into this file? I can't imagine the bird having enough memory to store every NFZ on the planet with boundary data, etc. Hell, maybe it does but I doubt it.

And has anyone actually seen evidence of this file? Honestly, this whole "file" thing seems too easy. How does GO get it. From what URL? How does it send it to the bird? And, now just throwing spaghetti on the wall here, can't the URL GO connects to be re-directed (via local DNS/HOSTS) to a server that says they are all 0's or all 1's (whichever it needs to fly)? This sort of thing should be fairly easy with a local DNS/WiFi router. Or am I missing something here? Anyway once its got the you-can-fly-anywhere file, shut off GO from internet access.

Hi All. I live near LaGuardia Airport about 1.8 miles. I am right outside the second ring(restricted) and the highest i have flown is about 120 feet (don't want to push it) but the way I understand it is, the father away I get from the inner ring(NFZ) the higher I can fly. I have not tested those limits yet as that would really be irresponsible with all the air traffic in NYC. Now I go and fly at "Flushing Meadow corona park" which has a dedicated RC Heliport. I was told by park rangers I can fly in the park as long as I was in that heliport (go figure). In any case my location from there to the airport is also 1.8 miles. I have flown as high as 200 ft no restrictions. Also, If you look at my map. I went to test if my P3P would turn on and would it let me fly it. I was able to turn on the P3P and lift around 10 feet. After about 5 seconds of hovering the drone started to back up on its own towards the direction of the outter circle. So I had a small crash as I landed because it continued to go back and I was about 100 feet from the outter circle. But my question is why did it let me turn it on in the NFZ circle and why is the inner circle not a 5 mile radius? It is about 1.8 miles from the center of the airport to my home.

Well, you'll just have to take my word for it lol. I have no reason to lie, just curious if anyone has actually tried to fly in the NFZ or if I was lucky or what. I flew for two full batteries. I only went back to connect it to get the firmware and software versions and figured screen shot was easier than remembering.
I did in Vegas on 1-6-13. I didn't take it but 20 feet up and 150 out but I was 5 blocks from the airport.

Here's the database DJI access thru the 2.4.6 Pilot app. Don't know if it is the same on later versions:

https://flysafe-api.dji.com/api/release_limitarea.json/?

Put it inyour browser and you will see every airport, long list.
Found it inside inside the app after decompling. The thing is how to edit the list to delete the ones in your area, or make the app direct to another https: with a different file.

Of course, for testing and educational purposes only.

Here's the database DJI access thru the 2.4.6 Pilot app. Don't know if it is the same on later versions:

https://flysafe-api.dji.com/api/release_limitarea.json/?

Put it inyour browser and you will see every airport, long list.
Found it inside inside the app after decompling. The thing is how to edit the list to delete the ones in your area, or make the app direct to another https: with a different file.

Of course, for testing and educational purposes only.

Nice work, will love to hear more about this, thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic