NFZ and 1.6.4 possible new discovery??

Reaction score
Ok guys, wondering if this is normal. I planned to fly the phantom today off of a friends back porch on the beach. When I powered it all on I see I'm in a NFZ because there's a small regional airport about 2 miles away. Crap! So I click the warning to get it off of the screen and proceed to let the home point update then do a CSC to see if it will allow me to take off. To my pleasant surprise it does! All four arms are RED but it otherwise flies perfectly fine in both P and A modes. Is this normal? I also took a screenshot so you could take a look. The RC and the app are both past versions because I originally thought the app is what would implement the NFZs not the bird firmware. What y'all think?
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453907366.341036.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453907376.671983.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453907398.708454.jpg

Reactions: bearmikie
Also, when I flew out of the restricted area, the app then alerted me I was approaching a restricted area and to fly carefully. Flew right back into the NFZ with no problems.

I think it's App 2.3 that's allowing you to fly

You have best of all. You get NFZ warnings and are allowed to fly

Last edited:
There is no screen shot showing that you are able to fly in NFZ.

From what I understand, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, the second ring is a height restriction zone and not a full NFZ. I bet you would have different results if you were inside the smaller red zone.

Well, you'll just have to take my word for it lol. I have no reason to lie, just curious if anyone has actually tried to fly in the NFZ or if I was lucky or what. I flew for two full batteries. I only went back to connect it to get the firmware and software versions and figured screen shot was easier than remembering.

This is best I can do at the moment. If you compare this to above pics you can see I fly all in the NFZ.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453913501.608315.jpg

From what I understand, and someone please correct me if I am wrong, the second ring is a height restriction zone and not a full NFZ. I bet you would have different results if you were inside the smaller red zone.
I don't believe that is correct. There is no height restriction zone I don't think.

Funny i was in mexico last week, the island of "Isla mujeres". Im running FW 1.4 and DJI app 2.4.3 on Android. Now im not fully aware but this is what happened.
One day when i was there, i got the warning that i was in restricted area, i dont remeber seeing and red zones on my map and it flew fine. No height restriction at all. i ascended to max height and back down quickly with no issues. Note my cell phone had not data connection while i was at that location...
When i went back to my hotel, like 30 kms away, i did open the DJI app while my phone was connected to wifi...but not connected to the bird.

I was back on the island of isla mujeres two days later, at the same location, perhaps 300 feet away. I noticed that now the DJI app showed a NFZ with a smaller dark red circle and a lighter red circle with a bigger radius. I was in the lighter red zone. I got the same warning as before telling me that i was in a restricted area. However the bird refused to take off this time.
It kept blinking red lights and the DJI app showed error message "IMU is calibrating" with some something else saying that i was "near or inside a NFZ".

That was it, i couldnt fly the P3 there. Strange thing is that my previous day's location was much much closer to the air strip. I still dont know why i was able to fly on the first day and not the second day.
On another note. From what im told, that air strip was not in use and was for emergencies or something only. I was safe with the flying and always kept an eye on planes if one was to come by. Infact there was more danger of hitting sea gulls there than a plane.

Funny i was in mexico last week, the island of "Isla mujeres". Im running FW 1.4 and DJI app 2.4.3 on Android. Now im not fully aware but this is what happened.
One day when i was there, i got the warning that i was in restricted area, i dont remeber seeing and red zones on my map and it flew fine. No height restriction at all. i ascended to max height and back down quickly with no issues. Note my cell phone had not data connection while i was at that location...
When i went back to my hotel, like 30 kms away, i did open the DJI app while my phone was connected to wifi...but not connected to the bird.

I was back on the island of isla mujeres two days later, at the same location, perhaps 300 feet away. I noticed that now the DJI app showed a NFZ with a smaller dark red circle and a lighter red circle with a bigger radius. I was in the lighter red zone. I got the same warning as before telling me that i was in a restricted area. However the bird refused to take off this time.
It kept blinking red lights and the DJI app showed error message "IMU is calibrating" with some something else saying that i was "near or inside a NFZ".

That was it, i couldnt fly the P3 there. Strange thing is that my previous day's location was much much closer to the air strip. I still dont know why i was able to fly on the first day and not the second day.
On another note. From what im told, that air strip was not in use and was for emergencies or something only. I was safe with the flying and always kept an eye on planes if one was to come by. Infact there was more danger of hitting sea gulls there than a plane.
Your case is clear. If there is no map display no NFZ would be displayed. Once you came to hotel, you got the maps due to wifi connection and NFZs appeared on your screen. NFZ data gets saved on to RC and it will warn you if you are in NFZ area but if there is no map, probably App will not disable stick inputs. RC has limited processing capabilities.

Interesting. My height didn't appear to be restricted. Will go back and test

It may be specific to firmware versions too. I am just saying DJI says there are height restrictions zones. I don't know, I don't (can't) fly with GO. And Litchi doesn't give a hoot about them.

Your case is clear. If there is no map display no NFZ would be displayed. Once you came to hotel, you got the maps due to wifi connection and NFZs appeared on your screen. NFZ data gets saved on to RC and it will warn you if you are in NFZ area but if there is no map, probably App will not disable stick inputs. RC has limited processing capabilities.

So if you don't cache maps and fly with a wifi only iPad can you avoid NFZ all together and simply use the iPad for FPV?

The only time I have let GO online was the FORCED registration when it was new (which totally pisses me off). And now it knows about the NFZ near my house :( Anytime I run GO, I switch the Galaxy to airplane mode (ironic setting don't you think?) so it can't communicate out (no WiFi, no 3G/4G). I don't put it into airplane mode for Litchi.

I don't know how to get that NFZ data out of its brain unfortunately. From what I read, the RC caches the NFZ data, not only the app, the RC too. Anyone know how to flush the RC's cache? Is it even possible?

Well i had done some high level of cache of that area in my DJI gp app before going there just for map display and i remember seeing the map in the app during my flight. Is itpossible that that my cache was not at a low enough zoom level such that the NFZ was not captured?

hmm this would also imply that if we could clear the map cache of the app (which we can) and the RC (which we dont know how to) A flight would be possible in a NFZ if data connection was disabled?

You do realize that a GPS doesn't need a map to know where it is, and thus, where you are. A GPS can also figure out whether you are within some radius just by knowing it's own coordinates and the coordinates of the center of the radius. It's not as if the Go app is looking at the cached map on your device and waiting for the little red airplane to enter a colored region, then sending an alert.

Its not the cached map that I was asking about. It was the NFZ cache I was asking about.

Ok. Sent her back up. I went up to 800ft inside the outer red circle without issue. Came back down to 200 and flew towards the inner red circle. As I approached the inner red circle it gave me collision warnings and basically hit a wall. Would not fly into the inner red. Did not try to decent below where I was because I would have lost LOS. Hope this helps.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453921197.394474.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453921211.379163.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453921235.098096.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453921244.233600.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1453921252.716906.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member