Nexus 7 or I-pad mini for FPV and stable wifi

Reaction score
Guys I read through various threads where people like using the N7 for FPV and they aren't having any issues. My samsung Note 3 sucks and an old Iphone 4 I have. I tried a samsung S3 and it worked well. I would like a larger clearer viewing area and wifi stability with no video lag. I would like to hear how you feel about your N7 or Mini. Thanks!

I did quite a bit of research after my iphone 4 was useless, and considered a hudi , iPad mini, amongst others I didn't want spend too much as I have an ipad 4 which is too big but works great. After reading lots of reviews of processor speeds, chips, quad cores etc compared to each other I opted for the Nexus7 which pipped the iPad mini.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 623
FlyingFox said:
I did quite a bit of research after my iphone 4 was useless, and considered a hudi , iPad mini, amongst others I didn't want spend too much as I have an ipad 4 which is too big but works great. After reading lots of reviews of processor speeds, chips, quad cores etc compared to each other I opted for the Nexus7 which pipped the iPad mini.

So you don't have any issues FFox? Do you have the 2012 or 2013. Is it the 2g which I don't think they make anymore?

Hi, nope, no issues I only bought it a week or so ago and no problems so far , so a new 2013 version on 4.4.2 did the update from 4.3 on a software update.
If you search on nexus7 top right there's also a few posts mention any issues etc
It has a great screen and wifi speed is fine

I bought the Nexus 7 (2013) specifically for the Vision. So far (about 2 weeks) its been great, low latency, no drop outs.
You'll likely still need a visor to help with glare, but its way better than the small Galaxy S3/4

The Nexus is mounted with a tripod mount from ARKON. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A9A ... UTF8&psc=1

B&H Photo has these visors down below (see pic) my current GPS Visor is OK, but I'd like to darken it more.http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... M_CT7.html

t90o.jpg

7bg4.jpg

b33e.jpg

The Rookie

I'm using the Nexus 7, got it on eBay for $149, free ship, new, not recon. Has been working perfectly. Originally, I was using a Galaxy 3 android. It was dropping out all the time. And the Nexus 7 has a bigger screen.

I have the Nexus 7 2012.
The only problem I have is the glare on a sunny day. I know I'll figure it out eventually. Otherwise it works perfectly.

_slinger

mmotown said:
Guys I read through various threads where people like using the N7 for FPV and they aren't having any issues. My samsung Note 3 sucks and an old Iphone 4 I have. I tried a samsung S3 and it worked well. I would like a larger clearer viewing area and wifi stability with no video lag. I would like to hear how you feel about your N7 or Mini. Thanks!

Im using a Note 3 and have had no issues, I also plan on using the HDMI output adaptor to feed the new Fatshark Dominator HD goggles when they come out. It will plug into the mini HDMI goggles and use the on board FPV without adding any hardware. I have tried the adaptor from the note 3 to my 50 inch tv and works perfectly. Dealing with the sun is why I'm going with the goggle solution. A little off track but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

Hey RC ROOKIE thanks for your post! Very informative & helpful! I have posted the same question a few times in here, but no one had an example of what I wanted to see demonstrated. This is what I have been looking for.

Thanks,
Moose

WeaponsHot said:
mmotown said:

Im using a Note 3 and have had no issues, I also plan on using the HDMI output adaptor to feed the new Fatshark Dominator HD goggles when they come out. It will plug into the mini HDMI goggles and use the on board FPV without adding any hardware. I have tried the adaptor from the note 3 to my 50 inch tv and works perfectly. Dealing with the sun is why I'm going with the goggle solution. A little off track but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

I'm not sure what will work as an FPV option (goggles) for the Android system. The Nexus 7 2013 is proprietary, as it requires the Slimport HDMI adapter, necessary app, and even then, you may need buy a battery pack to power the adapter for FPV cable out. No one has shown on a video that this will work 'specifically' with the Nexus 7 2013 and the Zeiss Cinemizer Goggle.

It is a very expensive, but good option, I hope someone posts some videos of it. Hard to justify the price for the Goggles unless its more than a marginal improvement over phone/visor setup.

Moose said:
Hey RC ROOKIE thanks for your post! Very informative & helpful! I have posted the same question a few times in here, but no one had an example of what I wanted to see demonstrated. This is what I have been looking for.

Thanks,
Moose

No Problem Moose..Glad it helped.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik