Nexus 7 non reflective screen film

Reaction score
So - I ordered an anti glare - matte - screen protector for my Nexus 7.

What a waste of £3. Its about as matte as a mirror and the non reflective properties are a joke.

I was under the impression that matte was non shiny. How wrong I am.

Please could someone tell me who sells a NON reflective screen in the UK please,

Thanks

Pete

Just been speaking to a bloke who is knowledgeable on the subject of screens.

Anti Glare is NOT non reflective. In fact, it does nothing.

Matte is supposed to be non shiny but that is a confidence trick and usually it is not matte.

I am assured that the following item is what I am looking for

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EVC331Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, I have ordered and will let you know how effective it is.

Pete

Just been speaking to a bloke who is knowledgeable on the subject of screens.

Anti Glare is NOT non reflective. In fact, it does nothing.

Matte is supposed to be non shiny but that is a confidence trick and usually it is not matte.

I am assured that the following item is what I am looking for

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EVC331Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So, I have ordered and will let you know how effective it is.

Pete

Let me know how it is as I am after something similar.

Reactions: deltamike
Could also do with a sunhood if you have any recommendations? Read somewhere the standard DJI one doesn't fit for the nexus 7?

Last edited:
I have tried a few anti-glare and anti-reflective films and NONE of them have solved the problem of seeing my sun-lit face in the screen. The solution I came up with was to make my own sun shade that has an angle of less than 90 degrees to the screen, so that the black underside is reflected (though you won't see black) back at me instead of my bright face. The needed angle will depend on the length of the roof -- which requires some experimenting during construction. I don't have math equation for that, though someone might come up with it. Works great!

hood_angle.png

Do you have any difficulty in tapping the tablet screen AND getting it to be effective in sunlight?

As I am still learning to fly I wonder if the need to touch the screen during a flight is necessary. If this is possible a larger type of sunhood could be used.

So, does anyone reading this operate the a/c and not touch the screen?

You dont really need touch the screen as a rule after initial set up.
However I find any kind of attached shade more trouble than it's worth; you can almost always find some way to get out of the sun, sitting in a vehicle is my option of choice and makes almost no difference to control unless you are trying to go big distances.

Could also do with a sunhood if you have any recommendations? Read somewhere the standard DJI one doesn't fit for the nexus 7?

Hi Liamus,

The sunhood arrived quickly after all.

I ordered it from :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111701368605?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=410704779428&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ordered on Sunday 5 June and arrived Thurs 9 June

It does improve things slightly and I am glad I bought it. The stitching could be better and there is a purpose made entry hole for the TX - Nexus lead.

I am going to have a bit of fiddling as per Mapmaker's suggestion to see if it can be improved.

When I receive my non reflective screen film I shall take a before and after photograph and let you judge for yourself.

Pete

Hi Liamus,

The sunhood arrived quickly after all.

I ordered it from :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111701368605?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=410704779428&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ordered on Sunday 5 June and arrived Thurs 9 June

It does improve things slightly and I am glad I bought it. The stitching could be better and there is a purpose made entry hole for the TX - Nexus lead.

I am going to have a bit of fiddling as per Mapmaker's suggestion to see if it can be improved.

When I receive my non reflective screen film I shall take a before and after photograph and let you judge for yourself.

Pete

Excellent - thanks for replying. So the Nexus fits in ok?

Excellent - thanks for replying. So the Nexus fits in ok?

Yes, it does quite well really. You have to make sure the Nexus is well seated on the rubber pads but its not too difficult. There is enough space to finger the Nexus power on button on the top left which is handy. All in all, I am pleased for the price but not the effectiveness of the product.

There may be better hoods out there at double the price or upwards but that's maybe for the future.

Last edited:
So - I ordered an anti glare - matte - screen protector for my Nexus 7.

What a waste of £3. Its about as matte as a mirror and the non reflective properties are a joke.

I was under the impression that matte was non shiny. How wrong I am.

Please could someone tell me who sells a NON reflective screen in the UK please,

Thanks

Pete
Amazon.com: [3-Pack] SUPERSHIELDZ- Anti-Glare (Matte) Screen Protector for Google Nexus 7 2013 2nd Generation + Lifetime Replacements Warranty [3-PACK] - Retail Packaging: Cell Phones & Accessories
These work nicely, also no fingerprints!

hoodivision
Padhat for your Nexus!

Silly question but did you fit it? i bought cheap ebay ones and mine were reflective until fitted, i opted not to use them though as my matt ones seem to block light as much as cut down on reflections. Please post your result when you have found ones you like so i can try them :)

Silly question but did you fit it? i bought cheap ebay ones and mine were reflective until fitted, i opted not to use them though as my matt ones seem to block light as much as cut down on reflections. Please post your result when you have found ones you like so i can try them :)

That's not a silly question in my book Dan. Yes, I did fit it and it ended up more reflective than the original screen.

I feel that a good quality screen would have better non reflective properties than that of a cheap screen. We shall see. As I have mentioned before, I have ordered some others but I am still waiting delivery.

FPLVERT :- Thank you for your link to the Padhat. I am in correspondence with the manufacturers re the fitment of the Padhat regarding the fitment of the Nexus 7 and the controller of the P3A. The angle of vision as pointed out by MAPMAKER seems to tally with the Padhat. Its got to be better than the cheap one I bought and with better results.

If I order one I shall let you all know my satisfaction level in the product.

Stay tuned for any results ............................

Pete

I got my matte ones from this seller, they were def matt and alot less reflective, mine were for a lenovo a8, which is alot dimmer than the nexus.
Hellfire Trading 2x Anti-Glare Screen Protector Cover for Google Nexus 9 2014

I just realised today my phone has one of the brightest displays of any device at 700nits, so im probably going to try using that instead and put up with a smaller screen.

I got my matte ones from this seller, they were def matt and alot less reflective, mine were for a lenovo a8, which is alot dimmer than the nexus.
Hellfire Trading 2x Anti-Glare Screen Protector Cover for Google Nexus 9 2014

I just realised today my phone has one of the brightest displays of any device at 700nits, so im probably going to try using that instead and put up with a smaller screen.

Curses. I had already ordered the expensive ones but thanks for the link. It will be interesting to compare the differences between yours and the expensive ones (£5) when I take the photos.

Cheers Dan

Re the Sun hood, and non-reflective anti glare screen.

I thought I would let you know that I am at last satisfied with my efforts in getting what I want.

To recap, I first bought a non reflective screen for my Nexus which was a right devil to fit without dust bubbles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus-Asus-2-Generation-Protection/dp/B00EVC331Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466079496&sr=8-1&keywords=folix+anti+non+reflective+nexus+7

The screens arrived before the scheduled date. There are no English instructions for the Nexus 7 screens and there were none on the suppliers web site, so the screen film was fitted by guess work. However, once fitted there was an outstanding difference to the reflective properties. The glare was reduced considerably. The touch facility effectiveness was improved I feel.

Placing the screen film precisely was difficult and I had to have several attempts to position it accurately. Dust is also a problem, however, if there is dust trapped underneath, wash your hands, remove the film and start again. Clean the tablet screen with the cloth provided. Hold the film under running warm water and rub your fingers over both sides - don't worry - there will be no fingerprints. Shake but don't dry with any cloth and have another go. You can do this as many times as you like. I took 5 attempts. Use a credit card to squeeze out the bubbles not the piece of card with the kit. Once you are happy dry off with a cloth. Any remaining bubbles might well go in 48 hours of their own accord.

All in all a very good screen with a final bill of £7.65.

I bought a cheapo sun hood :-

which was really non-effective but after reading Mapmaker’s post I decided to investigate further. After a bit of experimentation I found that by lowering the top of the sun hood the Nexus screen reflected black instead of an image of my shirt.

I have attached a before and after photo to show the finished results.

If any one buys the same sun hood I can post a photo of the modified sun hood as a guide on how to modify it if you ask for it in this post.

Pete

Nexus before mod.JPG
Nexus after mod..JPG

Last edited:
Re the Sun hood, and non-reflective anti glare screen.

I thought I would let you know that I am at last satisfied with my efforts in getting what I want.

To recap, I first bought a non reflective screen for my Nexus which was a right devil to fit without dust bubbles.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Nexus-Asus-2-Generation-Protection/dp/B00EVC331Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466079496&sr=8-1&keywords=folix+anti+non+reflective+nexus+7

The screens arrived before the scheduled date. There are no English instructions for the Nexus 7 screens and there were none on the suppliers web site, so the screen film was fitted by guess work. However, once fitted there was an outstanding difference to the reflective properties. The glare was reduced considerably. The touch facility effectiveness was improved I feel.

Placing the screen film precisely was difficult and I had to have several attempts to position it accurately. Dust is also a problem, however, if there is dust trapped underneath, wash your hands, remove the film and start again. Clean the tablet screen with the cloth provided. Hold the film under running warm water and rub your fingers over both sides - don't worry - there will be no fingerprints. Shake but don't dry with any cloth and have another go. You can do this as many times as you like. I took 5 attempts. Use a credit card to squeeze out the bubbles not the piece of card with the kit. Once you are happy dry off with a cloth. Any remaining bubbles might well go in 48 hours of their own accord.

All in all a very good screen with a final bill of £7.65.

I bought a cheapo sun hood :-

which was really non-effective but after reading Mapmaker’s post I decided to investigate further. After a bit of experimentation I found that by lowering the top of the sun hood the Nexus screen reflected black instead of an image of my shirt.

I have attached a before and after photo to show the finished results.

If any one buys the same sun hood I can post a photo of the modified sun hood as a guide on how to modify it if you ask for it in this post.

Pete

View attachment 57199 View attachment 57200

Nice posts Pete - how's the sunhood after a few flights?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj