Nexus 7 II not working

Thank you all for the recommendations regarding updating the OS and resetting the pad. That is done but still no connection. I will have to look at cable. Will any USB to mini usb cable work? I asked the guy at Bestbuy what to get and he pointed to a row of mini usb cables. I picked the one with the shortest length.
Most should work fine but there are a few that come with some units that only have the charging wires connected; new cables purchased separately should all work ok unless they are marked for charging only. The cable that comes with the controller works good with the Nexus (if you didn't get a defective one). The excess length can be coiled around the handle on the back or the clip for the tablet.

Most should work fine but there are a few that come with some units that only have the charging wires connected; new cables purchased separately should all work ok unless they are marked for charging only. The cable that comes with the controller works good with the Nexus (if you didn't get a defective one). The excess length can be coiled around the handle on the back or the clip for the tablet.
Thank you. I am trying to see if I can connect to Mac with this cable. So far the Mac cannot see the Nexus. Possibly I got a "charge only" cable. I'll have to take it back and see.

You might just need to enable USB debugging since you didn't mention it I don't know if you have already.
The 2013 Nexus7 works well with it you won't have any problems once set-up correctly.

Thank you. The app actually takes you to the usb debug switch when you start...if it is off. I think I have a defective tablet :(

Just a sample size of 1, I tried a USB cable I had laying around. I got no connection. When I switched to the one that came with my P3, the Nexus started working perfectly.

Reactions: JBG
I don't think it is any special cable, just one of decent quality. There are a lot of really crappy, cheap USB cables on the market and I have had to toss a few in the trash.

This may be something you're aware of, but seems like a lot of folks aren't. Having USB debugging mode is a must, but also is having the USB mode set correctly. I've tried using an older Nexus 7 (first version with Android 5.1.1 installed) and although it lags a bit will connect and work once all the settings are correct. You MUST be in USB PTP mode. Most android devices default to MPT mode initially. Some may automatically switch but the Nexus 7 won't. If you don't know how to change to PTP (camera) mode, on a Nexus 7, Settings > Storage > select the icon in top-right (3 dots) > USB computer connection. You should see an option for PTP or MTP. I seriously doubt it's the device, cable or other issue. You can manually turn on the USB debugging mode. Double check that it is on. If prompted by a pop up window after debugging mode is set, approve it's use and select don't ask again. Then set it to USB PTP mode. Then if it doesn't work after you a sure all these setting are correct, then troubleshoot for other issues.

To check to see if USB debugging is on, go to settings > system, you should see "developer options" if you do, select that and about 6 items down should be USB debugging. It should be on (slide green & to the right). If you do not have developer options, select "about tablet" and press "build number" 10 times to get it in USB debugging/developer mode on. Then go back & look in "developer options and ensure it's on and then exit and set to USB PTP mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: MariposaLand
This may be something you're aware of, but seems like a lot of folks aren't. Having USB debugging mode is a must, but also is having the USB mode set correctly. I've tried using an older Nexus 7 (first version with Android 5.1.1 installed) and although it lags a bit will connect and work once all the settings are correct. You MUST be in USB PTP mode. Most android devices default to MPT mode initially. Some may automatically switch but the Nexus 7 won't. If you don't know how to change to PTP (camera) mode, on a Nexus 7, Settings > Storage > select the icon in top-right (3 dots) > USB computer connection. You should see an option for PTP or MTP. I seriously doubt it's the device, cable or other issue. You can manually turn on the USB debugging mode. Double check that it is on. If prompted by a pop up window after debugging mode is set, approve it's use and select don't ask again. Then set it to USB PTP mode. Then if it doesn't work after you a sure all these setting are correct, then troubleshoot for other issues.

To check to see if USB debugging is on, go to settings > system, you should see "developer options" if you do, select that and about 6 items down should be USB debugging. It should be on (slide green & to the right). If you do not have developer options, select "about tablet" and press "build number" 10 times to get it in USB debugging/developer mode on. Then go back & look in "developer options and ensure it's on and then exit and set to USB PTP mode.

Im using nexus 7 2013 Overclocked to 1.9Ghz, GPU to 490Mhz, CleanRom 1.7(4.3 Jellybean) ElementalX-N7-1.8, And ultra Mode on bus clock, Stock voltage, using phantom included USB cable, USB debugging enabled and MTP/PTP disabled....
My latency with Phantom 3 Advanced is less then 200ms, almost no delay.

Any ROM after 4.3Jellybean reduce the performance of this tablet A LOT ! I would advise anyone who own a nexus 7 2013 to downgrade ROM to 4.3, or even CleanRom1.7 for best performances.

Thanks Brother for the info...I was hopeful that your answer was the key to unlock my problem. It was in MTP mode. I changed it to PTP mode and made sure the USB debug was on. Still no connection. The seller is going to send me another one. I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I will at least know this for the next device.

Great thread. My first instinct was to order a Nexus 7 2013 as a display since they can be had new for so cheap and still have an incredible display. Seems like everything is covered here.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Running 2012 1st gen Nexus 7 without any issues. I am on Lollipop 5.1. Wonder why you are having issues.

I'm wondering if their supplied cable is a bit 'special' now!
It annoys me how it floats about round the antennas so I just ordered one with 90 degree bend from ebay.
Never mind, it will do for charging if no good.

I bought this cheap USB with 90 degree plugs because it annoys me how the cable floats about in front of the antennas.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321415114307

It also makes it possible to leave it connected to the controller in my rather 'snug' case so less wear and tear pushing in and out.
Seems to work just as well so far, but will keep the original in there too.
Almost forgot the cable more than once already since it wasn't needed with V+ so not a bad thing to have a second one in the case.

IMG_2728.jpg

I've updated to 5.1.1 and looking for USB debugging by going to settings > system and do NOT see "system" under settings. Am I missing it or is it different on 5.1.1?

EDIT: I found this, which worked.

"Enable the USB Debugging Mode by heading to Settings > About Device > tap on the build number seven times. Now head back to the Settings menu and tap to enter the Developer Options. From inside the Dev option you must check the box for USB Debugging. Only then are you able to connect to the computer successfully."

Im using nexus 7 2013 Overclocked to 1.9Ghz, GPU to 490Mhz, CleanRom 1.7(4.3 Jellybean) ElementalX-N7-1.8, And ultra Mode on bus clock, Stock voltage, using phantom included USB cable, USB debugging enabled and MTP/PTP disabled....
My latency with Phantom 3 Advanced is less then 200ms, almost no delay.

Any ROM after 4.3Jellybean reduce the performance of this tablet A LOT ! I would advise anyone who own a nexus 7 2013 to downgrade ROM to 4.3, or even CleanRom1.7 for best performances.
Thank you for the input. I just got my replacement Nexus 7 today. I want to make sure it is as fast as possible. What do you think about CleanROM 6? Will it help the performance of the DJI app? Not sure I want to stay back on 4.3 not sure how to go back to an older version. This is the first Android device I have ever played with. Look forward to your feedback.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1