Nexus 7 - Decent Tablet on Sale - Now!

It was a good tablet until the GO app began growing and growing each update. I have only used the Nexus 7 2013 version and for the most part had video processing issues since 1.2.6. The N7-2013 just does not have enough ram or processor speed to function well with the GO app. DJI now has the following recommendations for use with the simulator.

Recommended device configuration:
CPU 2.5GHz & above
RAM 2G

So I bought a Nvidia Shield that was suppose to be here today but due to a UPS shipping hub being swamped I wont get it until tomorrow. These app's will only continue to become more resource dependent.

Sure, the Nexus is 2+ years old, it does have 2GB RAM but the processor is not up to spec for the GO app. I have been running Litchi lately.

Don't want to be constantly contrary, but I found that my sadly missed Nexus 7 ran both Go and Litchi perfectly! Hardly a hiccup, and the brightest screen in the game! Sadly my current wife dropped it on the kitchen floor yesterday, cracking the screen, so I've had to go out and buy a Shield K1 (too good a deal to miss). Time will tell whether I get on with it as well as I did with my beloved Nexus.

Reactions: JBG
Don't want to be constantly contrary, but I found that my sadly missed Nexus 7 ran both Go and Litchi perfectly! Hardly a hiccup, and the brightest screen in the game! Sadly my current wife dropped it on the kitchen floor yesterday, cracking the screen, so I've had to go out and buy a Shield K1 (too good a deal to miss). Time will tell whether I get on with it as well as I did with my beloved Nexus.
tell us how the shield k1 works out.

Certainly will! Testing tomorrow with Go, Litchi , just short flights as the weather is atrocious in the UK at the moment but tomorrow looks better.

it's exactly the same tablet as the original shield tablet, just rebranded as "K1" (and minus the stylus).
so the original shield was a good one than?

It was a good tablet until the GO app began growing and growing each update. I have only used the Nexus 7 2013 version and for the most part had video processing issues since 1.2.6.
All the time we hear of people having troubles with just about any tablet although others are using the same one without problems.
The cause of the issue is usually configuration rather than the tablet.
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the N 7 2013. It still works flawlessly for me.

Reactions: JBG and Wacker2611
I've been using the nexus 7 for months. No problems through multiple updates and firmware changes. I do not use a sun shield outside but do keep it shaded when the sun is bright

I recently began using a Nexus 7 (2013) and so far it works just fine. Using the latest Go app and google services enabled too. Was using an LG V410 but it was overheating and shutting down after about 9 minutes. It's hard to beat the Nexus 7 given the cost.

Reactions: JBG
it's exactly the same tablet as the original shield tablet, just rebranded as "K1" (and minus the stylus).

It's minus more then just the stylus, most notable the overall cost is less.

I recently began using a Nexus 7 (2013) and so far it works just fine. Using the latest Go app and google services enabled too. Was using an LG V410 but it was overheating and shutting down after about 9 minutes. It's hard to beat the Nexus 7 given the cost.

Is your controller the "A" or "B" model?

Well, just been out for a quick flight during a break in the weather with my new K1. Very nice indeed, lovely screen, flawless fpv video, no glitches at all. Heavy though, and does not fit on a 8" sunshade ,(not that I need one at the moment.) Very pleased with it, although the performance of my dear departed Nexus wasn't that far off, so I would still recommend as a dedicated device. I am going to love using this new Shield though. Can't go wrong for 150 quid.

The only issue I'm aware of with the Nexus 7 is that the recently released simulator definitely stresses the processor as indicated by high cpu temperatures.Since the Nexus 7 happily runs many advanced games, I'm guessing this is more an indication of sub-optimal software rather than any inherent limitations of the N7.

I rooted a Nexus 7 (2012) and it's worked fine with the go app, Haven't tried Litchi yet. Is it worth the $20?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.