Nexus 7 2nd gen rebooting during flights.

Reaction score
Hi, 1st post here, still a relative noob to quads.
Have a P3S, and bought a brand new 2nd generation 32gb nexus 7 to use with it. So far, not having much luck with it. 1st time i used it, the DJI GO app appeared to lock up, then the tablet rebooted itself while i was recording waypoints for a mission. Major panic at the time as wasn't sure what would happen without it, till I realised it still flew just fine. That was only my 3rd flight with a quadcopter.
Again today, it did the same thing, while 900 metres out, this time while using litchi. Was flying in normal fpv p-gps mode using the telemetry to navigate, when same thing happens, no response on screen to control inputs on there, then it just went off. Hmm, time to flick the rth switch a few times!
Anyone else have this problem? Nexus was brand new, not refurbished, minimal apps installed. The video feed using litchi lags like hell, on this flight i'd been up 6 minutes and was still showing me video from before take off!
Help, before I bin the bloody thing!
Cheers.

I have the same tablet. Since I've had my Phantoms it has spontaneously rebooted 2-3 times. Twice I was running A-Z Screen Recorder while flying & thought that might have been related. Mine hasn't rebooted in quite some time. Not sure if it may have been heat related? I have the white model which helps in that regard. I also now generally fly while sitting in my vehicle.

I did have a screen recorder running today, but not the first time it happened. Tablet didn't even feel warm so not an overheating issue.
Don't know why litchi lags so badly, dji go is spot on.

I did have a screen recorder running today, but not the first time it happened. Tablet didn't even feel warm so not an overheating issue.
Don't know why litchi lags so badly, dji go is spot on.
The bit rate in Litchi can be customized, lower it if it's lagging.

Yeah, I've seen that it can be changed, not tried it yet. Just a little annoying that it works fine with dji go (when the tablet doesn't reboot lol)

Just putting this out of the way... if you have both Litchi and DJI Go installed, be sure that one of them is totally stopped (Settings>Apps>[Litchi/DJI Go]>Force Stop) before running the other. These two apps compete for resources to access the P3S so if you ran Litchi with DJI Go still running in the background (or vice versa), strange things happen and lagging video is just one of the better results. Worst case, you get a black screen and DISCONNECTED written at the top. Having the tablet reboot under this condition is not so far fetched, IMO.

I also have a Nexus 7 2nd Gen and a P3S. The N7 is running the latest Marshmallow firmware but it's got nothing of the issues you're running into. Then again, I always force stop both apps before starting any of them.

I also used that tablet for flying my p3s and I would run this app called shut app before flying. It would kill all apps so there was nothing running in background. I rooted mine and took off a lot of apps cause I only used for flying. I had some lag at times and turning the bitrate down helped. Never had it reboot on me before though. Does it only reboot when flying? I was flying a few days ago and litchi kept force closing on me. If its brand new and not getting hot I would try to maybe factory reset it. Also try the shut app from play store and run that before opening up litchi or the go app. If that doesn't work I would say start trying to see if you can return it.

Sent from my Shield Tablet using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: dparkins
I also used that tablet for flying my p3s and I would run this app called shut app before flying.

I agree with ShutApp. I can only remember mine rebooting once before I started using the app. I now have a dedicated N7 only for flying. I also have deleted any Apps that aren't needed....

I think once you start using Shutapp you will stop having the "reboot" problem.

Hi all,
Thanks for the suggestions, I do always (mostly!) make sure the other app is closed before flying, couldn't say 100% as i do forget occasionally. However, the 1st time it happened i didn't even have litchi.
Will try the 'Shutapp', good suggestion. Upgraded to android 6 marshmallow last night, will see how it gets on now. Failing that, it's going back as faulty, hopefully for a refund.
Then buy...???

You could also put it in Airplane mode, won't hurt.
There was a spell last year when google services had to be rolled back to pre-installed version and updates blocked or you got rebooting and crashing.
So far as I know this was resolved at least a year ago with subsequent updates.

Put it in airplane mode? Err, doesn't that stop all wifi - p3s uses that to communicate with the transmitter.

I see, well it's a wifi only tablet, but cheers for the suggestions guys.
Really want to get on with using litchi to its fullest, but get nervous every time i use it now lol.

I don't know the percentages but I think most ppl have wifi only N7's. Mine are both wifi only; both w/Shutapp. Let us know your progress!

Keep on flying!

Cheers, gonna give it another whirl tonight with litchi and see what happens. Used Shutapp on it last night, then dji go, had 20 min flight, no issues.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31