Nexus 7 1st Gen

Reaction score
Please don't flame me for this question. I've read posts on "which tablet to use" until my eyes have crossed.

In the course of my reading, I've seen some people state that the Nexus 7 1st Gen works well, and others say that the 2nd Gen is required.

I'm pulling the trigger on an Advanced, and would like to order a tablet at the same time so that it's here when the Advanced arrives.

So the question is: Does the Nexus 7 1st Gen work well with the Advanced?

RodeoGeorge

That's step one. Thanks for the update, and the help.

RodeoGeorge

Here i am.

IMG_20160116_212954.jpg

Forgive the shitty pic..

I've just connected it for the very first time, so this is really a first impression.
The app seems to work, i took pictures, camera works, gimbal works.
Later, after the Harry Potter chapter to sedate my three litte devils, i'll check more deeply the matter.

What i can tell you is that the lag is quite low, but i know that it should be tested in the field and not in my studio with everything in two meters range.....

My setup is:
Nexus 7 2012 (1st gen) with a clean, rooted Kitkat 4.4.4 Android
DJI Go App version is 2.3.0 (74)

Reactions: George Strickroth
Another BIG thank you.

I'm trying to fit an advanced into the budget, so I need to look at a tablet that i can also afford at this time.

There's $100+ difference between the 1st Gen and the 2nd Gen, hence the question.

RodeoGeorge

P.S. Love the look on the cat's face, like, let me at it!

Another BIG thank you.

I'm trying to fit an advanced into the budget, so I need to look at a tablet that i can also afford at this time.

There's $100+ difference between the 1st Gen and the 2nd Gen, hence the question.

RodeoGeorge

P.S. Love the look on the cat's face, like, let me at it!

You're welcome, trying to help for what i can, i'm really a profane here...
I had the N7 sittin' around so i though i can use for flying.

As far as i could see pretty every andoid device is usable, but to reduce the lag of your video for fpv the "speed" of the android device is quite important, so that's why everybody is pointing to the Nvdivia Shield as the best option, being that a powerful tablet, built for gaming.
But i haven't fly with the nexus 7 yet, only with my nexus 5 phone.

Best option would be to borrow a n7 from a friend and test it yourself..
I would love to to use it, the size is perfect, and i can use that money to buy an extra battery.
Other things to care are the brighteness of the screen, and the glare on its glass.
Stay tuned for my next (real) tests!
Ciao

P.S.:The other two cats were curious about the drone gimbal buzzing...

I think (from what I read) that more processing power is needed. I should be more evident when flying and filming.
I purchased a nexus 7 (2013 model) for $99 on Craigslist. I sold my old Samsung Galaxy (1) for $70. Thus it was a cheap upgrade for me.

I think (from what I read) that more processing power is needed. I should be more evident when flying and filming.

You're probably right, meanwhile, to squeeze all the power i can i've overclocked the Nexus, following this guide, and installed the 2.4.3 version of Dji Go app.
Time (hope few days..) will tell.

You're probably right, meanwhile, to squeeze all the power i can i've overclocked the Nexus, following this guide, and installed the 2.4.3 version of Dji Go app.
Time (hope few days..) will tell.

When I was using devices I had it was pretty poor quality on running the app. It's to a point I agree you need to get a newer device then this.

How long did you test if for? I saw tons of lag on mine when gimble moved. Although I admit I am not OCing the nexus.

When I was using devices I had it was pretty poor quality on running the app. It's to a point I agree you need to get a newer device then this.

How long did you test if for? I saw tons of lag on mine when gimble moved. Although I admit I am not OCing the nexus.

Just connected at home...not tested in the field yet. Actually I don't have great expectations, but soon I'll try out!

Yes, I have first gen and 2013 model. First gen is lacking in most areas from RAM to speed, and if you update the OS you'll notice this even more. Id only use the 2013+

That's nuts. I have a 2012 (Gen 1) Nexus 7 and 1) DJI Go is listed as not compatible, and 2) I tried side loading the app and it wouldn't install the .apk
Ended up buying the Nvidia Shield K1 aftwards. :(

Attachments

• 2016-01-19_14-32-05.jpg
    2016-01-19_14-32-05.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 445
As you can see by my screen shot, I have several Android devices. Shame not to be able to use some of my older tablets, especially as a dedicated tablet for my drone.
I have been able to successfully re-use my DroidX for tracking purposes. Google's Device Manager works awesome and pinpoints down to 15 meters.

Yeah it's older and incompatible for a reason, how are you finding using it with the latest OS. I'd not trust the laggy nature, even if could load it on there. Not enough RAM or processing power. Old stuff, gets old :)

Yeah it's older and incompatible for a reason, how are you finding using it with the latest OS. I'd not trust the laggy nature, even if could load it on there. Not enough RAM or processing power. Old stuff, gets old :)
Right now it's sitting in a pile of rubbish, lol. I don't use it anymore.
But yeah, it was very sluggish after the update to KitKat.

Just connected at home...not tested in the field yet. Actually I don't have great expectations, but soon I'll try out!

I tried my nexus 7 2012 on latest update.The app ran but had low fps. I might try to root and install and custom rom maybe do some Overclocking. Did overclocking have much effect for you ?

I tried my nexus 7 2012 on latest update.The app ran but had low fps. I might try to root and install and custom rom maybe do some Overclocking. Did overclocking have much effect for you ?
Hmmm, actually not.
I fear the bottleneck is the 1giga ram, so although the old n7 is running quite well overall I didn't manage to use it to fly. Now I'm using my nexus 5 with no issue, but I'm thinking to get my hand on a mini iPad..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31