Next logical camera upgrade after standard Vision 2+ camera

Reaction score
I'm using the built-in camera that came with my Vision 2+. The quality is good, but man, my iPhone takes such better pictures and video. That got me to wonder what the next logical upgrade would be.

Do the GoPro models take better pics and video? Can you still remotely tell them when to start/sop recording and snapping pics?

I almost wish I could strap my iPhone on to a 3-Axis gimble and remotely operate that from my iPad...

Re: Next logical camera upgrade after standard Vision 2+ cam

Zip tie that phone to the front of your V+ camera and post the vid..... :mrgreen:

mede8er said:
Zip tie that phone to the front of your V+ camera and post the vid..... :mrgreen:

yes , that is a great idea.

For a moment I was so happy to see replies to my query...

And then... :(

The current Gopro doesn't allow start/stop recording and snapping pics.
The Phantom 2+ manages to do what it does because the camera and gimbal are very lightweight but that comes at a price. The small sensor and lens are limiting. To carry a heavier camera, you need a heavier gimbal and you quickly find that the Phantom isn't really able to do this. Unless someone can make a bigger/better dedicated lightweight drone camera/gimbal, to carry a bigger camera you have to have a bigger drone.
The Align M480 (being delivered late this month) looks good but probably too big unless you want to carry heavy photographic artillery. But Align have said they will bring out two smaller models before the end of the year and these should be worth looking out for. Who knows - DJI might also get in on the act with competing products?

That sounds promising. For now I'm hoping to stick with my Phantom and hopefully a better camera comes along for it.

I imagine an iPhone weight less than a GoPro camera -- I still think it would be neat to be able to mount that (or any other reasonably-sized smartphone with a great camera) on a gimble, use the controller's wifi extender, then use another device with an app to change video/camera settings and snap photos and start/stop video...

Meh, I should probably learn to make do with what I have for now...

Meta4 said:
The current Gopro doesn't allow start/stop recording and snapping pics.
The Phantom 2+ manages to do what it does because the camera and gimbal are very lightweight but that comes at a price. The small sensor and lens are limiting. To carry a heavier camera, you need a heavier gimbal and you quickly find that the Phantom isn't really able to do this. Unless someone can make a bigger/better dedicated lightweight drone camera/gimbal, to carry a bigger camera you have to have a bigger drone.
The Align M480 (being delivered late this month) looks good but probably too big unless you want to carry heavy photographic artillery. But Align have said they will bring out two smaller models before the end of the year and these should be worth looking out for. Who knows - DJI might also get in on the act with competing products?

The GO pro Hero 3+ Black edition can take interval photos whilst filming.

If the next iteration of the Vision+ camera has optical zoom and much less fisheye distortion --- then I'd be tickled pink

Why not just change the lens in the camera?
I seriously want to do this on my camera and I sent the ragecam guys a email requesting respond back about the vPlus setup and they never responded. So I stopped at that time and put my attention on something else at the time. But my goal was to speak with those guys and work on getting some kind of group discount. Anyway, they have tutorial video on youtube that shows how to do the mod yourself. Even though it didn't look like it took that long, I have a feeling it would be maybe around 3hrs to do it. Personally, I feel like the ragecam fee for everything is a little too far north for my taste. I found this guy on ebay selling replacement lens for the vPlus. He had a video showing the difference between his lens and the vPlus.

You should really use this info as way of knowing there is options. And then buy a replacement lens which are flat, a better color imaging, and put together a how-to, and then brag when everyone ask you where you got your setup.
http://ragecams.com/shop/phantom-vision ... p-686.html

thanks flyNfrank. I tried searching for some samples from that Rage modifiction but no luck yet... I'll keep trying...

The cost for that lens replacement doesnt seem to be worthwhile...at least to me.

Now, come out with an upgraded camera that has an optical zoom? Im in.

This might be of interest to you. Should be coming out soon for the P2V+. You will be able to interchange camera and gimbals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_aB4gylS8

That's been "coming soon" for quite a while now and no further info from the maker since they put out that teaser.
If it's like their other stuff it will cost a mint too.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31