News Helicopter vs Drone

Wow, you've made no point other than you're unable to accept constructive criticism. The rules, laws, and/or guidelines are there to govern safety. If you disagree you elevate your risk and everyone around you. You are obviously too close minded to listen to anyone's input except your own. Good luck to you @Youngbill , you really need it.

An example of Why some should not operate quadrotors or any RC aircraft for that matter....ya just don't get it, and if you haven't by now, you probably never will.
Maybe switch to ground based camera systems like an RC truck or tank.

You ahve any experience with any RC hobby before the quad, just curious...
Who are you replying to?

If you look back to my original post you will see I was looking for opinions. But it all goes downhill real fast when the "gods gifts " to this forum get their knickers in a knot. Then you have the people that chime in without reading the thread.

For the record, I do follow the FAA guidelines while flying....for the most part.

That is sort of like saying "I don't drive drunk, most of the time",,,I'm really not sure what is wrong with having up to 400', staying 5 miles away from airports,,,if you ever think you will get drones considered at the same level with aircraft with people on them,,,your in a dream world..not going to happen, not for you, me, the FBI or the CIA,,manned aircraft will aways come first,

If you want to be treated 'equal' to news helicopters, go buy one and go for it,,then your life is on the line and you would be screaming if you saw a drone in airspace with you

I do think, and i think the FAA would agree, if a helicopter goes out of its way to dump a drone, the pilot is not flying with safety in mind and should have action taken against him

Let's say there is a news worthy event (not a forest fire) and I'm flying my drone to get shots for the local newspaper(not for money) and along comes a news copter trying to get similar shots. Now I understand I should yield to manned aircraft but in this situation I think the first on scene should have right of way. What do you guys think?

I understand the whole forest fire issue but this is not the same.
It's not about who go there first, or what one thinks is fair. It's about what is safer.
So why should the guy with the expensive copter get the shot and not me? In the forest fire situation, the manned aircraft were called off. Why should the news copter not be called off? Doesn't seem fair. Why shouldn't the manned aircraft be responsible and safe and leave the area?

It's not about what is fair. It's about what is safe. You on the ground controlling the drone are not in any danger by having to maneuver. It's not someone in an expensive chopper getting something you can't, it's the human lives in the chopper getting priority over a hobbyist drone when it comes to avoiding potential collisions.

That is sort of like saying "I don't drive drunk, most of the time",,,I'm really not sure what is wrong with having up to 400', staying 5 miles away from airports,,,if you ever think you will get drones considered at the same level with aircraft with people on them,,,your in a dream world..not going to happen, not for you, me, the FBI or the CIA,,manned aircraft will aways come first,

If you want to be treated 'equal' to news helicopters, go buy one and go for it,,then your life is on the line and you would be screaming if you saw a drone in airspace with you

I do think, and i think the FAA would agree, if a helicopter goes out of its way to dump a drone, the pilot is not flying with safety in mind and should have action taken against him[/QUOTE]

I fly at night.....there I said it.....let the bashing begin [emoji56]

So why doesn't the FAA take action against such helicopters? We have seen their actions in video and people on this board have actually filed complaints.....yet.....NOTHING happens. Like all government agencies, they are a joke and prove it time and again.[/QUOTE]

It's not about who go there first, or what one thinks is fair. It's about what is safer.

It's not about what is fair. It's about what is safe. You on the ground controlling the drone are not in any danger by having to maneuver. It's not someone in an expensive chopper getting something you can't, it's the human lives in the chopper getting priority over a hobbyist drone when it comes to avoiding potential collisions.

What's safe is for the helicopter pilot to back away if a drone is already in the air space. Some people may claim the helicopter pilot can't see the drone, but I'm not so sure, they can see them just fine when they want to ***** about it to the media or FAA. Also, why couldn't I carry a transceiver and let the pilot know I was there? It would be no different from another helicopter letting them know they were there.

This is all hypothetical, no need to get upset.

What's safe is for the helicopter pilot to back away if a drone is already in the air space. Some people may claim the helicopter pilot can't see the drone, but I'm not so sure, they can see them just fine when they want to ***** about it to the media or FAA. Also, why couldn't I carry a transceiver and let the pilot know I was there? It would be no different from another helicopter letting them know they were there.

This is all hypothetical, no need to get upset.
You are not considering the big picture. If a manned aircraft hits a drone, the aircraft could crash and kill many people (aircraft and ground). You are charged with making a law to state how to avoid this loss of life. Are you going to make a law that says a helicopter needs to see a drone and fly away in all situations or make a law that says an unmanned drone can't put multiple lives in danger? I state the initial choice as I did because who's to judge who was right at that spot first. There is no way to know. You really want to leave the cost of lives up to an argument about who might have been in a certain area first... or will you judge that a drone getting some good video is more important than the lives of multiple people? Make that law and see how popular you are when a drone causes a crash.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
What's safe is for the helicopter pilot to back away if a drone is already in the air space.

How do you know he sees your little white blur? The P3 doesn't have side markers or top side strobes. It would be very easy to miss.

It's really simple: No matter what the situation, if a manned flight comes towards you, you get out of the way!

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
How do you know he sees your little white blur? The P3 doesn't have side markers or top side strobes. It would be very easy to miss.
They need to talk to all the commercial pilots and get the tricks :p

Reactions: Youngbill
Darwin award in the making? OMG, really? WAAAAAAA, behaviors and attitude from OP is what will cause extreme regulation from the government. does OP have the proper credentials to give photos to the news paper, does he have a pilots license? common sense? UGH! I saw a signature the other day " just because the phantom is RTF, it doesn't mean the pilot is"

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.