News Helicopter vs Drone

If you're looking to be a stringer with a drone, you should seriously reconsider it. There is no protocol for you to operate safely with a helo (or other emergency services) near by. How do you know what the helo is? It could be news or it could be emergency services.

Worth mentioning, helo pilots have a little game called "Sink the Drone". The way it works is they fly above your drone and your drone plummets. I've seen it at the beach twice now.
Get video and the tail number if you can and report the helicopter to the FSDO. He is violating 91.13 'Careless and Reckless' because the downed drone could injure someone. Possibly 14 CFR 91.113 - 'Right-of-way rules' because the helicopter pilot is the overtaking aircraft and must yield Right of Way to other aircraft already in the airspace. He is also violating 18 U.S. Code § 32 - 'Destruction of aircraft or aircraft facilities'. 18USC32 is not an FAA rule, but the FAA should refer the violation to the US Attorney because the act appeared intentional.

does anyone know why the guy was arrested? He seemed to be flying in an area with no people close by (or under him anyway)
If you are talking about the "Attacked by Police Helicopter" video, the arrest was for operating a model aircraft from National Park property.

The FAA right-of-way rules have been in existence for decades. In general, the least maneuverable aircraft have the Right of Way and lightweight drones are more maneuverable than any manned aircraft.

The news helicopter would likely be violating 14 CFR 91.113 - 'Right-of-way rules' if the knew the drone was there "first" because a pilot can't intentionally use his Right of Way priority to occupy previously occupied airspace. (An aircraft in distress has the right-of-way over all other air traffic.)
Then this goes back to my original question which I seem to get an earful for. If I'm there first filming I shouldn't have to give up my airspace, correct? I know it's a different story if it's a medivac flight but I'm talking about the channel 6 news copter painted bright orange and yellow.

Then this goes back to my original question which I seem to get an earful for. If I'm there first filming I shouldn't have to give up my airspace, correct? I know it's a different story if it's a medivac flight but I'm talking about the channel 6 news copter painted bright orange and yellow.

If you are there first and a helicopter shows up YOU have to give up your airspace, no ifs and or butts! Get your Phantom out of there, Descend, land, stop flying. Is that clear enough?

If you are there first and a helicopter shows up YOU have to give up your airspace, no ifs and or butts! Get your Phantom out of there, Descend, land, stop flying. Is that clear enough?
Actually it's not clear. I'm hearing mixed things, not only on this board but elsewhere. It's like saying Fox News shows up to an accident first so no other media can be there. I'm not talking about regular air traffic, I'm talking about a news copter purposefully entering into already occupied space.

The AMA bylaws ask hobbyists to always yield to human occupied aircraft.... whether there is a real FAA regulation or not about an overtaking vehicle - I think we have a moral responsibility to avoid situations where our models can injure or kill another human being. This includes having to yield to a news helicopter.

The other thing at issue is WE have to be defensive... it's kind of like being a motorcycle driver - you can't assume anyone sees you... so even though you might legally have the right of way... you might want to yield to that 18 wheeler changing lanes.

These drones are hard to see against the sky (especially on cloudy days) - add to it the speed at which Helicopters fly, and you are just being foolish if you don't yield (just to make a point). Regardless (and this is not saying the OP will do this) it is just a matter of time before a freak accident with a drone brings down a helicopter and all hell breaks loose.... just because some guy thought he had the right to stand his "ground" in the airways....

Last edited:
Actually it's not clear. I'm hearing mixed things, not only on this board but elsewhere. It's like saying Fox News shows up to an accident first so no other media can be there. I'm not talking about regular air traffic, I'm talking about a news copter purposefully entering into already occupied space.
This is not a simple question, Young Skywalker. Too many factors can influence the outcome. When I get my 333 I'll be doing real estate, agricultural, geomapping and other things. Don't plan to compete with my local news outlet, rather watch the news in my lounge chair at home w/ a cold brewsky. Thus, don't see it as a potential scenario for me, But I understand it could be for others. There is a major hospital in my small city with regular LifeFlights in and out. They fly low over my house. SO, I'm getting a portable VHF receiver with their frequencies. As a campus police chief I used to work closely with them and they are a good bunch of guys. Their freqs. are public information. When I'm working a job near the hospital I'll keep the receiver on and loud so I'll know what's coming. If I see one coming I'll land and take a break. No harm done.

Youngbill, I do not claim to have all the magical answers to UAV and manned aircraft and doubt even the FAA does, yet. It's an exciting, brand new world and both sides just need to learn to coexist.

Only God (the deity, not the FAA :D)owns the sky.

Reactions: 750r and Youngbill
The AMA bylaws ask hobbyists to always yield to human occupied aircraft.... whether there is a real FAA regulation or not about an overtaking vehicle - I think we have a moral responsibility to avoid situations where our models can injure or kill another human being. This includes having to yield to a news helicopter.

The other thing at issue is WE have to be defensive... it's kind of like being a motorcycle driver - you can't assume anyone sees you... so even though you might legally have the right of way... you might want to yield to that 18 wheeler changing lanes.

These drones are hard to see against the sky (especially on cloudy days) - add to it the speed at which Helicopters fly, and you are just being foolish if you don't yield (just to make a point). Regardless (and this is not saying the OP will do this) it is just a matter of time before a freak accident with a drone brings down a helicopter and all hell breaks loose.... just because some guy thought he had the right to stand his "ground" in the airways....
AMEN.

Reactions: Youngbill
Only God (the deity, not the FAA :D)owns the sky.

I was going to take issue with this.... but it turns out you're right, I looked it up... God only gave us the earth... nothing about the sky.... dang.

"Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, to be like us. Let them be masters over the fish in the ocean, the birds that fly, the livestock, everything that crawls on the earth, and over the earth itself!""
Genesis 1:26

I think this was a healthy debate. Being a gun owner and carrier I must always be on both the offensive and defensive. If we were all sheep and just agreed to everything the government tries to feed up......well.....I don't even want to think about it. That's why I think we need to give some pushback to the FAA (and media) or we'll all be flying circles in some field like the RC plane guys ( no offense plane guys but you already made that bed).

Reactions: SteveMann
I think this was a healthy debate. Being a gun owner and carrier I must always be on both the offensive and defensive. If we were all sheep and just agreed to everything the government tries to feed up......well.....I don't even want to think about it. That's why I think we need to give some pushback to the FAA (and media) or we'll all be flying circles in some field like the RC plane guys ( no offense plane guys but you already made that bed).

Now that you have guns and concealed carry into the mix all we need now is your political persuasions to complete this thread :) But seriously are you going to give way to a helicopter that might be in your airspace?

The FAA rules are quite clear and apply to the overtaking aircraft, and further an overtaking aircraft cannot use their superior Right of Way provided by 14 CFR 91.113 - 'Right-of-way rules' because the helicopter pilot is the overtaking aircraft and must yield Right of Way to other aircraft already in the airspace. The AMA guidelines and the proposed Part 107 rules will add a rule that an unmanned aircraft will always give-way to a manned aircraft.
For now, if you are operating under a Section 333 exemption, then line 24: "The UA must remain clear and give way to all manned aviation operations and
activities at all times." is the rule. Otherwise the current FAA principal that whichever aircraft is there first has the right of way (except aircraft in distress which always have the right of way).

That's the current rules. But common sense would say, if a helicopter comes into your operating area, move or land. Even if you technically have the Right of Way, the helicopter pilot may not see you, and you have a responsibility to "see and avoid". 91.113(b) says: "vigilance shall be maintained by each person operating an aircraft so as to see and avoid other aircraft".

When you see a gaggle of news helicopters, you can be certain that they are in communication with each other to coordinate their altitudes. It's a small world and they all know each other. If they are in an ATC controlled location, they all get clearance to a block of sky and coordinate and keep each other in sight.

The helo is expecting that any other air traffic will identify itself, it's location and it's intentions on the air to air channel. That is essential to maintain separation. If you cannot communicate your presence and intentions, you are a hazard.

Should something happen, it would be your fault. Your only safe option is to be in an area where the helo cannot go.

Now that you have guns and concealed carry into the mix all we need now is your political persuasions to complete this thread :) But seriously are you going to give way to a helicopter that might be in your airspace?

San- I'm a right wing extremist [emoji6] But seriously, I'll move to an area that would be unsafe for the copter. If however the copter decides to play "Sink the drone" then all bets are off and I'll be playing "tag the rotor" [emoji6] I'm JOKING!

The helo is expecting that any other air traffic will identify itself, it's location and it's intentions on the air to air channel. That is essential to maintain separation. If you cannot communicate your presence and intentions, you are a hazard.

Should something happen, it would be your fault. Your only safe option is to be in an area where the helo cannot go.

I like that idea. I can move to tree top level and still get great shots.

Reactions: SanCap
The FAA rules are quite clear and apply to the overtaking aircraft, and further an overtaking aircraft cannot use their superior Right of Way provided by 14 CFR 91.113 - 'Right-of-way rules' because the helicopter pilot is the overtaking aircraft and must yield Right of Way to other aircraft already in the airspace. The AMA guidelines and the proposed Part 107 rules will add a rule that an unmanned aircraft will always give-way to a manned aircraft.
For now, if you are operating under a Section 333 exemption, then line 24: "The UA must remain clear and give way to all manned aviation operations and
activities at all times." is the rule. Otherwise the current FAA principal that whichever aircraft is there first has the right of way (except aircraft in distress which always have the right of way).

That's the current rules. But common sense would say, if a helicopter comes into your operating area, move or land. Even if you technically have the Right of Way, the helicopter pilot may not see you, and you have a responsibility to "see and avoid". 91.113(b) says: "vigilance shall be maintained by each person operating an aircraft so as to see and avoid other aircraft".

When you see a gaggle of news helicopters, you can be certain that they are in communication with each other to coordinate their altitudes. It's a small world and they all know each other. If they are in an ATC controlled location, they all get clearance to a block of sky and coordinate and keep each other in sight.
As much as I love my P3P, it's just plastic and electronics; I could never live with myself if I had any role in something like this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/4-killed-in-tv-news-helicopter-collision/
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(pretty neat animation of the crash in link above)

I like that idea. I can move to tree top level and still get great shots.

I do that as a rule. LA is so full of helos you never know when one may come careening across the sky at 150ft AGL. I keep my Phantom out of clear sky as much as possible. I use the buildings, trees, hills, etc.

Reactions: Youngbill
As much as I love my P3P, it's just plastic and electronics; I could never live with myself if I had any role in something like this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/4-killed-in-tv-news-helicopter-collision/
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
(pretty neat animation of the crash in link above)

Those guys were friggin idiots! So worried about TV ratings. What if the pieces of those copters landed on a school! If anything, the FAA should be cracking down on those types of idiot pilots.

Your missing my point. I'm already on scene filming, the news copter then shows up. He's not flying through the area, he wants to be where I am. Why isn't it his responsibility to turn around and leave. If he stays, HE is the one making an unsafe choice.

I get the whole "Right of way" thing but this is different. He does not NEED to be in that area, he CHOOSES to be in that area.
If you are even questioning this, you shouldn't be flying. Learn the rules, Respect them. Realize you are flying a toy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.