Newby

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Welcome to the forum Ray,

If you have not already done so, check the CAA rules for flying UAV's.

Flying drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority

To protect yourself in the case of an accident, insurance is a good idea. e.g. (BMFA) British Model Flying Association (UK). It costs £33 at the time of writing. Click on the link to view their web site :-

Members Insurance

You can also insure your UAV against damage : -

Drone Insurance - Phantom Flight School

The next thing to do is join a flying club to learn the ropes. Its more than likely there will be members only too glad to help out with advice or find someone near you who has a Phantom. The golden rule :- Always get permission from the landowner to take off and land.

After some time, something to aim for is :-

Multi-Rotor –

You might like to try the following apps. The first one shows UK airspace and includes NOTAMS.

UK AirspaceAVOID for Pilots – Android Apps on Google Play and :- No Fly Drones

One item that I have found to be of great help is a clear coloured strobe. I affixed mine to the rear of my P3 and it is easily seen in daylight for some distance. It helps greatly to determine orientation.

STROBON Cree® Standalone - Flytron

If you have any questions try doing a search first by clicking the magnifying glass top right. You might find your question has already been asked and it will save you a lot of time. If you can’t find an answer, then just post the question. We are only to happy to help.

Enjoy the forum.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Mike, I have been reading up on the CAA rules and regs, where you can and where you cant etc. I will be getting some insurance now you've mentioned it but to be honest hadn't thought about it before. I went out and bought a cheap Iphone 4s as the way I read it my Samsung Galaxy 5 was not compatible to the drone but even that wouldn't connect so I trawled thru some Utube vids and discovered I wasn't doing the binding in the correct order .... and lo and behold aell went smoothly and also my Samsung Galaxy connected !! Rgds

Reactions: deltamike
Thanks for the tips Mike, I have been reading up on the CAA rules and regs, where you can and where you cant etc. I will be getting some insurance now you've mentioned it but to be honest hadn't thought about it before. I went out and bought a cheap Iphone 4s as the way I read it my Samsung Galaxy 5 was not compatible to the drone but even that wouldn't connect so I trawled thru some Utube vids and discovered I wasn't doing the binding in the correct order .... and lo and behold aell went smoothly and also my Samsung Galaxy connected !! Rgds

There's a LOT to learn. Well done in thinking it out. You are on a very steep learning curve here.

You are in a beautiful country. Looking forward to seeing some vid. sometime.

I work on an ex Greek car ferry type of landing craft around the west coast of Scotland gathering round timber from the forests where there is no vehicular access or where it's frowned apon by the nimbies and yes the scenery is something else for the two weeks of our summer .... Rgds

Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic