Newby question about GoPro WiFi and video transmitters

Reaction score
I'm about to purchase a Phantom 2. I'm told that the GoPro wifi will conflict with the phantom 2 factory controller, so I need to purchase a 3rd party video transmitter if I want FPV. Would I be better off going with another controller/receiver like a Futaba or will I still have the same conflict problem?

If I stick with the original controller, which video transmitter is considered best?

You'll get the same problem if you just replace the receiver and transmitter as they work on 2.4Ghz which is the same frequency as WiFi. You cannot use the GoPro Wifi with the P2, only the P2V (which has a transmitter on a different frequency), if you risk it you'll find your P2 can and will go out of control.

The way to do it properly on a P2 is to buy a 5.8Ghz Video Transmitter for your bird and a receiver for the ground. You'll also need a monitor or goggles to be able to see the feed back from the P2. It's already pre-wired for a vTX and also for an IODS Mini which will give you an on-screen display of your flight data. Putting it all together is dead easy and covered numerous times in threads on this forum, so you won't struggle for help.

Have a trawl through the threads on here and you'll see FPV being mentioned all over the place. It'll give you a good starting point.

Thanks for the info. I'm ordering tonight,

Are all controllers on the wifi frequency now days? What happened to the lower frequency units of yesterday?

I think you can still get them... the problem is getting them working with the P2 (lack of S.Bus etc) and also the relative lack of range compared to 2.4Ghz.

Remember that 2.4Ghz Wifi from your phone to your P2 will be very limited compared to the range of a dedicated 5.8Ghz FPV setup. You can buy 'All in one' FPV setups off the shelf (Storm FPV is just one example) for a reasonable price.

I have the same setup as described above. I was flying last weekend and a guy showed up with a large collective helicopter and his new Gopro 3+. First flight for video. Promptly lost control and crashed. He was using the Gopro wifi and remote shutter fob. I do use the Gopro wifi to connect to my smartphone to adjust the type video, resolution etc. Prior to Phantom power up only, be triple sure I turned it off before flying.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav