Reaction score
Hello all,
I've always enjoyed flying RC heli's but gave up a few years ago. I recently found a video showing a DJI phantom and now I really fancy getting one and having a go but before I buy i wondered if I could ask a few questions on here first.
Is the phantom easier to fly then a T-rex 450 for example?
How easy is it to get decent video footage?
I really like the idea of the FPV monitor, but i'm getting ahead of myself a bit. I can get one RTF for £499 which to me seems really cheap considering the technology, and if it's easier to fly then a heli hopefully it should cut down on repair bills......a bit.

Sorry for all the questions but just wanted to get a feel for peoples experiences.

Cheers
Jonny

jskdog said:
Hello all,
I've always enjoyed flying RC heli's but gave up a few years ago. I recently found a video showing a DJI phantom and now I really fancy getting one and having a go but before I buy i wondered if I could ask a few questions on here first.
Is the phantom easier to fly then a T-rex 450 for example?
How easy is it to get decent video footage?
I really like the idea of the FPV monitor, but i'm getting ahead of myself a bit. I can get one RTF for £499 which to me seems really cheap considering the technology, and if it's easier to fly then a heli hopefully it should cut down on repair bills......a bit.

Sorry for all the questions but just wanted to get a feel for peoples experiences.

Cheers
Jonny
Well I would say it's about 100 times easier to fly than a T-Rex or Raptor, not even in the same league, It's really a tough little beast as well, it seems to take tumbles well. The only problem is it comes with a Parkflyer Tx and I'm assuming Rx which may or may not result in all the fly aways. I know a guy who has 10 hours of flight on his no problems except bad brushless bearings ( this may be fixed with balancing motors?) and others have issues straight from the box. I loved mine the first 300-ish minutes

Thanks for the reply Mark, can I ask what happened after 300 minutes? Still trying to justify getting one to myself......i'm getting there ;-) .
What are the main problems with the phantom?

jskdog said:
Thanks for the reply Mark, can I ask what happened after 300 minutes? Still trying to justify getting one to myself......i'm getting there ;-) .
What are the main problems with the phantom?
I had zero problems with it until it took off with no control, then I gained control and then it took off with no control again by possibly using a iPhone to send a command to turn lights on in a house so if this is the case and that caused the first loss of control, I'm ok with that ( sort of).........its the second one that bothers me. Not to mention this poll with a 22% failure rate http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 00&page=24

Got mine a couple weeks ago and had about 7 hours of amazing flight time so far. It's so much easier than any heli!

The only thing I'd like to say about that poll, is the statistical and cognitive bias it has. I've not added to that poll, because I've had no issue (yet). The vast majority of people finding that poll are going to be people searching for reasons why they might have had a fly-away, whereas the people who have not had those issues, are least likely to even stumble upon that poll.

Therefore, I would take those poll results with a small mountain of salt. Don't get me wrong, there's clearly some issue around for these fly-aways to happen in the first place (most likely rumours being WiFi interference), but a rate of 22% seems highly unlikely.

The first thing I did when mine arrived was put an "if found please call..." sticker on the hull, and the only other advice I have to anyone is to make sure you understand all the LED Indicator blinks before you take off, and try to avoid heavy WiFi areas.

Thankyou for the replies folks, Might have to get one orederd next week. It does look a nice piece of kit and I have been enjoying the video's people have posted.

Hmmm been reading a bit more on here and it appears that a few people have had 'issues' with their phantom's with regards to flying off. I really had my heart set on ordering one next week but i'm getting more and more concerned this could be a waste of money?Are there any other models availabe with the same kind of spec for similar money?Love the gps mode on the dji, that's what interested me the most. I've had heli's that have got away from me, so the idea you can let go of the sticks and let it hover whilst you re-gain your composure is a definate plus!

For the most part, I do recommend the Phantom. As far as I know with the limited research I have done, the Phantom is pretty much in a class of its own as far as what it has to offer for the price it is going for. There are other products out there for less, but they do not offer as much, and those that do tend to cost more. Of course there is a compromise somewhere in there in order for them (DJI) to be able to give us the perks for the price. So, with that said, there is bound to be an issue or two from time to time.

Is it a total waste of money? I would say no. I have had my fair share of problems with my Phantom (crumbling shell, bad bearing, etc), but as a rookie into this whole business of quadcopter RC, it is a great product. I look at the problems I have had with it as learning experiences. Don't let the mishaps others have had stop you if you want to get into this. If we all did that, we wouldn't have cars, motorbikes, and a host of other things we use daily. We have to take precautions like driving and what not.

P.S. --- NO I am not saying rogue Phantoms is not a major problem because it is. I would hate to loose mine, and can only sympathize with people who have lost theirs.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl