Reaction score
ive been reading , researching, very interested in making a purchase of a phantom 2. my question .
would I get better camera, video and first person video results by getting a phantom 2 and modifying with my own
camera , mount and modifications, antennas etc. vs. the phantom 2 vision plus? thanks for any help

Dave

I think its generally acknowledged that a GoPro Hero 3+ is a better camera over all than the Vision+. But only having a P2 with Zenmuse gimbel I can't really compare personally. The P2V+ flies out of the box while the P2 route needs some putting together and possibly some soldering. Having a GoPro also means you can use it off Phantom if you wish. I think the P2 route is also more expensive in the end once you add everything. It does mean you have a bit of choice what kit you put on it. Including longer range antennas. There are those here that have also modded their P2V's extensively. Have a browse through the dedicated forums here and check it out. Thats what I did 3 months ago.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

thanks, yes ive been reading all posts all day today. im leaning big time towards the phantom 2 and doing my own modifications over time.

Coolhand,

+1 to what irishsights said.
If you feel comfortable adding the FPV stuff yourself then it is probably the best way to go, and less expensive.
There is a readymade cable for the Immersion 600mw Vtx that would eliminate any soldering. That transmitter paired with a Black Pearl monitor works very well for reasonable cost.

Tom

Thanks so much for the help,, starting to get it figured out.. probably going to get the phantom 2
with the new gimble, no camera for starters, but not until i get the Drone Mods UAV GPS Locator , its
out of stock right now,, then extra battery, then probably do the fatshark fpv, and get the goggles.. then later add maybe the
new go pro camera coming out, then do my antenna mods. One question i don't understand,, i know the
fpv camera is separate from the go pro camera,, can i watch both views while flying? how does that work?

thanks again for your time.

DAve

The FPV camera is the GoPro.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

You mentioned getting the gimbel but no GoPro in the beginning. When you get your kit just don't powerup the gimbel with no GoPro attached...potential damage. In a similar vein never powerup your video transmitter without an antenna attached, it will be wrecked.

wow, thanks soooo much for the info,, I thought I was getting a grip on all of this,, but I obviously have a lot more to figure
out. I really thought I saw a photo of a fatshark very small front facing camera on a phantom in addition to a go pro mounted
below it. so you say all I need is a single go pro camera {to enjoy fpv, I will actually be recording what I am seeing?}, a modified transmitter, modified antennas on phantom,, modified antennas on remote control and goggles or monitor,,, my main interest eventually is to fly slightly further than stock distance and enjoy best possible signal first person viewing with the goggles .

thanks so much for your input and patience.

Dave

actually now after reading the post on Compass problems, looks like I would be an idiot to purchase phantom now.
very sad.. I was really excited about this, but if the company is not going to stand behind their product, then they will fold
in no time with the power of the internet and social media.

coolhand said:
wow, thanks soooo much for the info,, I thought I was getting a grip on all of this,, but I obviously have a lot more to figure
out. I really thought I saw a photo of a fatshark very small front facing camera on a phantom in addition to a go pro mounted
below it. so you say all I need is a single go pro camera {to enjoy fpv, I will actually be recording what I am seeing?}, a modified transmitter, modified antennas on phantom,, modified antennas on remote control and goggles or monitor,,, my main interest eventually is to fly slightly further than stock distance and enjoy best possible signal first person viewing with the goggles .

thanks so much for your input and patience.

Dave
Phantoms have been modified to do this but its not for a beginner. You can enjoy FPV with a GoPro without recording. Its an off the shelf transmitter not a modified one. Receivers are also off the shelf. Independent antennas will give you better range. I would suggest you start off slow and lots of practice and not try for big range for good while. Personally I suggest you do not fly it out of sight of an observer standing with you for safety reasons. Out if sight with goggles can present you with dangers you cannot see with the goggles. IMHO

coolhand said:
actually now after reading the post on Compass problems, looks like I would be an idiot to purchase phantom now.
very sad.. I was really excited about this, but if the company is not going to stand behind their product, then they will fold
in no time with the power of the internet and social media.
What compass problem are you referring to? Depending on where you are in the world their is a stronger magnetic variation which affects some flyers but not desperately restrictive. Some have experienced a deviation from a straight flight path. I and many others have not experienced this. IMO it would not be a deal breaker, but its up to you. A firmware update will fix this once they get the fix right.

its like a 42 page active blog on this site,,, 412
Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

Very Serious, glad your not having problems.. but these people are basically grounded with no response from DjI. you should
check it out.. you are 100 percent right about taking it slow in the beginning, which I will.if I do this. I just like to gather as much info as possible so I know where im eventually heading.. thanks for the tips on a spotter and staying in close view in the beginning..
absolutely I would do this,, goggles would be one of my very last purchases if I even go goggles over a good monitor,, the only reason I like the goggle idea is because of the bright sunlight on monitor issue

I wish there were some stories of guys flying this product: phantoms for more than 6 months. and their experiences. anyway, thanks for all your help, it means the world to me.

Dji are addressing the issue. An employee of DJI actually posted a request here for user input and log files. So there is active input. This was as a response to the coordination by one of this forums dedicated users. There are several DJI employees here including one from the repair centre in LA. Some may call it user beta testing but at the end of the day this is an extremely advanced consumer SUA and we all want to contribute to each other and to DJI to make it even better. There are not many alternatives in its class. Hope to see you back here!

coolhand said:
its like a 42 page active blog on this site,,, 412
Fixing DJI's Compass Problem

Very Serious, glad your not having problems.. but these people are basically grounded with no response from DjI. you should
check it out..

I wish there were some stories of guys flying this product: phantoms for more than 6 months. and their experiences. anyway, thanks for all your help, it means the world to me.
I think you're over reacting. No one is "basically grounded" by the compass issue; in fact many of those on the board are flying to collect data for DJI to investigate. The problem isn't that big a deal. As a beginner, I didn't even notice it until I saw some posts, then watched very closely as my bird flew.

There are plenty of stories here from guys flying older Phantoms that go back for few years. You can also find plenty of stories over here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electr ... otors-790/

If you're looking for guarantees, you will be disappointed. This is, after all, a hobby product, and for years, part of the fun of the radio control hobby has been about tinkering, fixing, learning, building, repairing....

+1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20