Newbie.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to phantom flying and have a couple of questions.

GPS lights, do they count down as they find sats? Ie, start with three, two, one then none?

And, is there any thing to lube the motors?

I'm sure there is plenty more I need to know but all seems good at present.

Cheers fellas.

Mosher42 said:
Hi, I'm new to phantom flying and have a couple of questions.

GPS lights, do they count down as they find sats? Ie, start with three, two, one then none?

And, is there any thing to lube the motors?

I'm sure there is plenty more I need to know but all seems good at present.

Cheers fellas.

Yes, GPS lights count down- and it is very important that you wait until you get the best signal possible so that if something goes wrong, the Phantom knows how to get to your Home location.

Lubing the motors is covered in other threads- seems like it may not be necessary.

Yes, hold out until you no longer see any red blinks. and it's a single or double green blink only.
(or at least until you get 20x green blinks indicating that home location has been recorded).

lubricating your motors is something to consider, as eventually the bearings will lose lubrication, overheat and make noise and have issues.
some folks find it easier to just replace the bearings themselves.

I bought this oil, and have modified my Phantom so that I can apply drops without having to unscrew the motors
http://www.amazon.com/Brushless-Hi-Perf ... +motor+oil

I hadn't heard of ACF 50 so did a Google search and found this:

"Firms such as Boeing Helicopter, Cessna, British Aerospace and Sikorsky all find the product acceptable, as does the FAA."

I think I'll try it on my ebike!

I fly quite a bit and lube the bearings on my Phantom about once a week. I drilled holes in the shell beneath each motor and apply a small drop of TriFlo, top and bottom. Takes 5 minutes, max.

The general opinion seems to be that stock Phantom bearings are not exactly high quality. My feeling is that lubrication is worth the effort.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl