Newbie with WIFI Extended Range Question

Reaction score
I am new to the Phantom Vision 2 Plus but I am wanting to dramatically increase my wifi range and I have a few questions. I am wanting to build an extender using (2) of the TP‑LINK TL‑ANT2414A Antennas and connect them to a WIFI Extender via (2) of the 2X U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtails. I only want to use this enhanced configuration occasionally for specific purposes when farther distances are needed but I don't want to have to carry this pole mounted dual antenna system every time I fly. So, is it possible to order another factory DJI WIFI Extender and Bind it to the Phantom and attach it to this system TP-Link system I am building? I would like to continue to use the factory extender on the remote as I will be using it the majority of the time, but when I have the need for greater distance just turn the controller Mounted Extender OFF and turn the TP-Link modified extender ON? (I know I cannot use both at once). I probably made that question a lot harder than what it needs to be and I apologize in advance as I am new to this, but hopefully someone will understand what I am asking. Any help is greatly appreciated.

kymedic121 said:
I am new to the Phantom Vision 2 Plus but I am wanting to dramatically increase my wifi range and I have a few questions. I am wanting to build an extender using (2) of the TP‑LINK TL‑ANT2414A Antennas and connect them to a WIFI Extender via (2) of the 2X U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtails. I only want to use this enhanced configuration occasionally for specific purposes when farther distances are needed but I don't want to have to carry this pole mounted dual antenna system every time I fly. So, is it possible to order another factory DJI WIFI Extender and Bind it to the Phantom and attach it to this system TP-Link system I am building? I would like to continue to use the factory extender on the remote as I will be using it the majority of the time, but when I have the need for greater distance just turn the controller Mounted Extender OFF and turn the TP-Link modified extender ON? (I know I cannot use both at once). I probably made that question a lot harder than what it needs to be and I apologize in advance as I am new to this, but hopefully someone will understand what I am asking. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here's a link below that shows what he did and what he used to achieve extreme distance with P2V+. The range extender has 2 antennas inside it, just use one to add an RP-SMA then you can use it or not use it as you like.
As for the range extenders, good luck trying to find one. DJI have not made any spare parts available. Some RC/hobby stores carry a few parts but I haven't seen range extenders as yet...
** Correction, DB has seen them advertised... I stand corrected**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E9_LbSdm5E

Are the range extenders for the Phantom Vision 2 and the vision 2 + models different? I was under the impression that the two range extenders were the same and would work with either model.

kymedic121 said:
Are the range extenders for the Phantom Vision 2 and the vision 2 + models different? I was under the impression that the two range extenders were the same and would work with either model.

Yes they are different. The Vision extender is the RE500, while the Vision+ uses the RE700. The RE700 is significantly more powerful, which is why so many Vision+ units get such great FVP range out of the box. The RE700's have just become available, and I ordered one for myself yesterday from Dave's. I plan on doing the same thing as you. I want to keep my stock controller for everyday use, and do the mods on a second controller/extender for when I want to go long range. Make sure if you get one to get the Vision+ RE700 model.

The extender bracket normally comes with the Vision/Vision+ controller. I don't see it in the photo for the extender I ordered. I haven't ordered a replacement controller yet because they only have the Vision controller and I'm not sure it has the external USB port?

Thanks so much folks. I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me out. I am a true NEWBIE to all of this and I am sure I will have many more questions along the way. I truly appreciate all of your assistance and guidance!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20