Newbie with a couple of questions

Reaction score
I'm 60 years old, getting back into RC after a long hiatus. Just took delivery of my Phantom v 1.1.1, assembled it with no hassles whatsoever, have watched the DJI videos, and have successfully downloaded the driver and newest version of the NAZAM Assistant.

I went through both the basic and advanced configurations and the basic completed successfully, but a moment into the advanced calibration routine, I was greeted by a message that said the" MC was too warm, disconnect for 5 minutes and try again." Nonetheless, the calibration went on to completion and gave me a green check at the end. The obvious question is, WTH??? Am I good to go, or not?

Also, although the Phantom is reasonably sturdy and (shockingly!) lightweight, do you REALLY trust the latch on the battery compartment to stay secure? I can envision maneuvers which would result in a battery spilling out and throwing the CG off so badly a crash is guaranteed. Is there any need to buttress the closure with velcro or some such?

Thanks in advance!

PF

I too got the "too hot" error. Several times in fact. i just unplugged the battery and let it sit for a while then plugged it back up and went straight to the advance setup. I've read where someone actually put the thing in the freezer for a bit. seems that would invite condensation moisture into the electronics.
The battery door does seem kind of iffy. the only time mine has came open was when i lost a prop nut and she went down on her side in the grass.
Keep at it, you will get the advance setup to work. Then you can enjoy the easy flying this quad provides.

So, you think the advanced calibration green check mark is bogus and I need to repeat the calibration?

Maybe the new (and freshly charged) battery is overheating some component? That's not a pleasant thought...

PF

Leave the Phantom unplugged for 5 minutes.

Plug it into your computer
Run the NAZA software
Power the Phantom
Immediately do the Advanced calibration.

Seriously, don't stick it in a freezer.

LOL!!!! Great sense of humor on this forum. I can't believe that was someone's past attempt at solving this problem.

OK...I'll try going immediately to the advanced calibration as suggested and will report back. So long as I have successfully completed the Basic, I'm OK to at least try and hover, right??

PF

Thanks. I just attempted the Advanced Calibration again. I was immediately greeted by the same "too hot" message even though the Phantom was connected to the battery less than 15 seconds before initializing the calibration. The calibration SEEMED to go smoothly and took about 1 1/2 minutes to finish and gave me a green check mark at the end.

My house is 68 degrees F, and every part of the Phantom is cool to the touch. This has got to be some kind of software glitch. :x
Going to try to power up the motors and hover at first light (about an hour).

EDIT: WOW!!!!!!!!!! Everything worked perfectly. Compass calibration, GPS fix of >7 satellites, everything! Flew in GPS mode for starters, then switched to attitude mode - I could get used to both. Followed the "beginner" instructions of simply hovering for a while, then yaw to 90 degrees each direction to get used to the profile, then some simple out and backs before making some tentative maneuvers around the yard.

Never went higher than 8 feet, but, hey, ya gotta walk before ya run. Flew at 7:30 am and was surprised at how quiet the thing is. We have 1.2 acres of land, but lots of trees, a pool (now closed and covered) with a fence, a poolhouse, etc, so I was a bit timid flying it around. Should be no problem at the middle school or high school athletic fields which are only a few minutes from my home.

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm thinking the advanced calibration "too hot" message is a software glitch, but have no way to confirm that unless someone else knows of a way. Anyway, thanks again for answering my newbie questions.

Now if the battery connectors were not so hard to separate!!! Why on earth they don't have an on-off switch like my old RC airplanes and heli's I'll never understand!

PF

For what it may be worth, being an ex-engineer, I found half the fun of owning a Phantom is modifying it to suit your sensibilities. Dual batteries, Main power switches, velcro battery door safety closure, etc.

In short Yes to the switch, Yes to the velcro safety strap on the battery door...

1. I also got the 'too hot, disconnect for 5 minutes' pop up last week when I upgraded my new Phantom to 4.0 (I have V1.1.1).
The only thing I disconnected for the 5 minutes was the battery, left the USB cable connected and Tx on.
The advanced IMB calibration completed successfully after that slight delay.
2. Some might scold me for this, but I leave approx. 1/8" gap between the battery connectors, they are still tight, but no where as hard to get apart if you close them completely.

I stumbled upon an EXTREMELY helpful 24 minute video which walks you through the whole procedure. I >>think<< MAYBE I didn't download the default configuration file before trying to do the calibrations. Honestly, I'm not really sure that was the problem.

In any event, I re-did everything per the video, starting with calibrating the transmitter (sticks) which I didn't even know you could do. Then I hooked up USB, powered up the Phantom (Tx on, of course) and re-did all the training. Then I went outside, calibrated the magnetometer, got a GPS lock, then did the Basic and Advanced calibrations. I still got the "too hot" error message...but it went away differently. I closed the box containing the message and the advanced calibration then went to completion, taking 3 or 4 minutes to complete. At the end it gave me a green check mark and no further error messages.

A test flight (in pretty windy conditions) seemed fine, although the Phantom was being buffetted pretty good! I'll know much more after flying on a calm morning. It still seems to take off a little awkwardly - nose down. I have to pull back on the right hand stick a tiny amount to make it take off perfectly parallel to the ground.

FWIW, I have NOTHING on the Phantom, no camera, no camera housing, nothing. Just bare bones Phantom while I train and hone my piloting skills. Is this why it takes off a bit nose down??

PF

FWIW, I have NOTHING on the Phantom, no camera, no camera housing, nothing. Just bare bones Phantom while I train and hone my piloting skills. Is this why it takes off a bit nose down??

Are you trying to take off slowly ? If so, that could be why. It's best to give it a good dose of throttle, and it will lift
off nicely, and once it's out of it's own prop wash, it will be easily controlled, and able to hover well.

BTW, don't call the compass a magnetometer...... It' too 1950's era.... It invokes visions of Roswell incidents, and AREA 52. ;)

cczx14r said:
2. Some might scold me for this, but I leave approx. 1/8" gap between the battery connectors, they are still tight, but no where as hard to get apart if you close them completely.

Yeah, the XT60 connectors have a solid grip, especially when new. I'm hoping that it will loosen a BIT (maybe 15 - 25%) with use. I have a ***** of a time getting the battery off charger and de-powering the Phantom. That's why I was thinking of getting one of those larger aftermarket doors and installing an on-off switch.

After only a half-dozen flights, I already have a "must have" wish-list!

1) padded case
2) extra battery or two with higher capacity
3) GoPro camera (on the way!)
4) Set or two of three blade props

PF

This is not a scold.....but a warning. A LOT of current needs to flow easily through that connector....and be absolutely UN-interrupted. Imagine the consequences of a msec of disconnect....your birds brains will have to go through their startup routine again before you regain control. Ask me how I know! For best current flow there needs to be maximum male to female hot metal contact area....full insertion. And the more grip and tension, the less chance of a weight-shift msec disconnect during flight.

I agree it is a PIA, but playing with less than maximum, secure contact/grip is playing with BAD CONSEQUENCES...surprisingly low flight time OR sudden brain stroke mid-flight. Just sayin'.

Well, when ya put it THAT way... :lol:

You are right, of course. Still, I do wish there was an on-off switch. Maybe there is none for the same reason you gave. Just one more vibration-prone spot to cause a msec power interruption.

PF

I have a power switch on mine. I'm getting along in years, am female, and don't want to get down on my hands and knees in the dirt plugging stuff in...hence the power switch. I can plug everything in on the bench, walk to the take off spot and flick the switch as I set it down for the IMU to warm up.

I have a 12v/40a-24v/20a automotive grade toggle that should stand up to any amperage draw tossed it's way.

PS the new Vision and presumably other iterations of the Phantom to come, have a simple off/on switch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers