Newbie to the site, could use a little advice on my new P4 package options

Reaction score
My brother brought his P3 to our fathers 1,500 acre ranch, which i always knew that would be a great place for drones! After a weekend of having a blast.. I've decided to get the new P4
I'm on drone world, and have P4 package, picked out..
I just have some questions on all the options, like if I should stick with the factory P4 remote, or if I do a upgrade, is the panel remote upgrade worth getting over stock?
Or I f I'm spending that much, should I just go with the firebridge Remote Upgrade
Since we have such a big place, I'm more wanting to explore areas, that 4wheelers, and side by sides can't get too, and take vids/pics of our beautiful waterfalls, and all of our exotic animals.
I know you you have around 25 minutes, before time to send it back for a fresh battery!
So I'll upload some pics on what all I've picked, and more recommendations, the better.
BTW this is my first post, and I hope I posted this in the right section. If not my apologies.
Thanks
Jason

Attachments

• IMG_3862.PNG
    IMG_3862.PNG
    918 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_3864.PNG
    IMG_3864.PNG
    401.6 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_3861.PNG
    IMG_3861.PNG
    406.6 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_3865.PNG
    IMG_3865.PNG
    431.2 KB · Views: 394
If I need to buy, I will go to Best Buy and buy it.

I will go with stock remote
I will not pickup carbon fiber props. Buy only DJI props.
I m not sure of that filter kit.

In short I think I can buy much better accessories from Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'd skip the carbon props.
You don't need a charging station unless you have many batteries and fly intensively.
Unless you're a distance freak, I'd skip the firebridge upgrade (didn't know you could get that) and the remote upgrade.
I'd skip the 7 in 1 lens filter and get 2 or 3 fixed filters. You can't vary it in mid air anyway and the quality of the filter is never as good in a multi.

Actually, you might be better looking at a Mavic now that they've become available as they pretty much supercede the good old P4, and you'd be way ahead on dollars and get some cool features like firebridge built in.

As to Mavic, I'd wait. There will be teething pains. We don't know yet if it's as good as the P4 and will do the same things as well as the Phantom 4. We only know that it's smaller. But if you're going to wait, maybe you should wait for the P5...its capabilities will likely exceed the Mavic. Or maybe wait for the Mavic 2.....and so on. If you want to buy now, get the Phantom 4. It's a known quantitity and it's excellent. If you can wait a few months, wait to see if the Mavic works and what its capabilities are.

Get the standard Phantom 4 and a couple of extra batteries. Skip the rest of that stuff...I wouldn't even get a backpack unless hiking with it is in your game plan, The box that it comes in works great as a vehicle transport container. Filters..pick up some neutral density filters...ND4, 8, 16, 32. Get the screw-on kind like the Taco R/Cs. Learn on the Phantom 4 and upgrade if the hobby is satisfying to you. By that time you'll be able to choose between the Phantom 5, and you'll know if the Mavic can actually live up to its unprecedented hype.

As to Mavic, I'd wait. There will be teething pains. We don't know yet if it's as good as the P4 and will do the same things as well as the Phantom 4. We only know that it's smaller. But if you're going to wait, maybe you should wait for the P5...its capabilities will likely exceed the Mavic. Or maybe wait for the Mavic 2.....and so on. .
The person could just wait for the P10. That is, as long as DJI is in business, the OP could wait and wait and wait for the "next" drone and never buy one.

The person could just wait for the P10. That is, as long as DJI is in business, the OP could wait and wait and wait for the "next" drone and never buy one.

Yes. You got my point.

At some point, you have to get on the technology merry-go-round, otherwise you're paralyzed waiting for the "next-big-thing". Having said that, it's generally prudent to wait for new paradigms to prove themselves a little before climbing on board. Early adoption does have its down side.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be mainly using it at our 1,500 acre ranch flying it around areas of woods that has pretty waterfalls, flying over wild life, as well as using it when I take my cigarette boat out on poker runs.. So once I get comfortable, I will be using it a lot. I guess I'll be using it a lot to practice as well though. I plan on learning around a 20 acre clearing on our land before flying over woods,
but I think by reading the comments hear, I'm going a little overboard for a rookie.
The factory controller says it can go up to 3 miles, and I'm starting to think that would be plenty at first.
I really just want the right filters, quicker charge times, and from what I'm understanding go direct with DJI for the carbon fiber props..
So if a can ask another newbie question.
I see that the firebridge signal booster controller isn't very popular with you guys? Why?
I understand there are great sellsmen out there, but they made it like I would get better control, speed as well as 4.5-5.0 mile range.
My brother has the P3, with DJI props, and a faster battery charger, and loves it just like it is.
Just wanted to get more opinions before, it's to late.
I did like going with this site, the techs/sales guys were very friendly, helpful, as well as being patient with me, cause i kept them on the phone for over 30 minutes going over packages, and I really like the human era warrantee for a year.
I can log some serious hours in that time, and have my but covered.
Thanks for all the quick responses, I did check out the mavic, but I think I still want to stick with the P4. Just need help on what to add to the base kit.
Thanks again
Jason

My advice would be to purchase the basic drone package from DJI directly. I purchased the package with the P4, two extra batteries, and the charging hub. I did so directly from DJI because I wanted to know that everything is authentic - especially the batteries - and I wanted no possible issues if I had any type of warranty problem.

I have since researched and acquired accessories that I have discovered through using the copter, that I needed, such as ND filters, a hard case for transport, and yes, I did modify my remote with a MaxxUAV antenna upgrade panel, but you will not need this initially. (And, as a side note about my range extender, Drone World charges hundreds of dollars more than what I paid for the same thing from MaxxUAV, and I did the modification myself. Here is a link to what may be a useful thread to you: Maxx UAV Antenna mod )

I suggest that you keep it simple Jason. Start with only what you need at first - directly from the manufacturer - and then enjoy that other part of this hobby that involves smartly researching and then buying only needed accessories. You will find that there is a ton of advice already on this forum, and any other questions that you may have will be answered quickly.

Hope it helps, and no matter what you decide, welcome to this great hobby!

Reactions: Tommy Iversen
My advice would be to purchase the basic drone package from DJI directly. I purchased the package with the P4, two extra batteries, and the charging hub. I did so directly from DJI because I wanted to know that everything is authentic - especially the batteries - and I wanted no possible issues if I had any type of warranty problem.

I have since researched and acquired accessories that I have discovered through using the copter, that I needed, such as ND filters, a hard case for transport, and yes, I did modify my remote with a MaxxUAV antenna upgrade panel, but you will not need this initially. (And, as a side note about my range extender, Drone World charges hundreds of dollars more than what I paid for the same thing from MaxxUAV, and I did the modification myself. Here is a link to what may be a useful thread to you: Maxx UAV Antenna mod )

I suggest that you keep it simple Jason. Start with only what you need at first - directly from the manufacturer - and then enjoy that other part of this hobby that involves smartly researching and then buying only needed accessories. You will find that there is a ton of advice already on this forum, and any other questions that you may have will be answered quickly.

Hope it helps, and no matter what you decide, welcome to this great hobby!

Thank you, after sleeping on it, I think I couldn't agree with you more!!
After realizing how much money I'm spending on upgrades, I think you, and my brother both gave me the same advice.
I'll start basic, and work my way up from there. No need to rush into it.
I'll get with DJI directly, and start out exactly like you said, and I'll look into maxx auv, after I get comfortable with operating it stock, plus the DJI carbon props.

Ok I'm on DJI'S website, and I don't see a controller with it? Also don't see where to buy DJI carbon props. I just want to triple check, I'm getting everything i need to start flying.. do I need the output module?
Here is what I've picked out so far.

Attachments

• IMG_3874.PNG
    IMG_3874.PNG
    165.1 KB · Views: 315
Carbon fiber props do not provide much value other that deeper cuts if you make the mistake of coming in contact with the props while running. This is most important if you were to hit someone else, or a curious dog, etc.

Carbon fiber props do not provide much value other that deeper cuts if you make the mistake of coming in contact with the props while running. This is most important if you were to hit someone else, or a curious dog, etc.

Oh ok cool, I thought carbon props was a nice upgrade. But great one less thing to worry about, also do I need to get the output module?
I really don't even know what it's for.

Hold off on the HDMI Module now too. This is an upgrade module for the remote that is most often used for FPV goggles. You can always do this later. The P4 package that you selected above does come with the remote. You will love it! Also, the DJI standard props are perfect. Only buy these if you ever need to buy more props.

Or save $550 and get a P3A w/ extra 2 batteries.
The P4 is cool, but not much different than a P3.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017LETWLU/ref=twister_B01DSPEOFU?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

With the savings, you could buy the Maxxuav, amp'ed panel antenna, a drone case, filters and you might still have money left over.
You'd have a pimped out Phantom.
-----------------------------
Example= $482

DJI - EvoLite Kit Plus

DJI Backpacks - 30% Off Discount - Don't Miss Out !! No Obligations
I got one, the discount works.

DJI Phantom 3 Filter 3-Pack

Last edited:
I still want to stick with the P4. Just need help on what to add to the base kit.
There's a whole industry based on up-selling accessories.
I'd suggest going easy on the additional purchases until you get a feeling for what you might need.
After nearly 3 years flying Phantoms, I wouldn't recommend much more than extra batteries, maybe ND filters if you are into video and a case if you take it travelling.
You'll probably get all the range you want on the 1500 acre property without paying extra for anything.

Reactions: Brockrock
Even though I love my P3A I would go with a P3P or P4 if I were buying new. Some will argue that you don't need 4k and there are still many new TV's and monitors that are only 1080 but I personally think it is not a bad time to move to 4k.

The package deals do offer many of the items you will end up buying so why not.

I love my hard backpack. I can fit everything I need for a day of flying in it and it is pretty well protected so that is why I picked this package.

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-...UTF8&qid=1477531900&sr=8-5&keywords=phantom+4

Yes, go slow on accessories, learn how to fly first then order what you need. I recommend a Windsurfer and two extra batteries to beginners. Later you can expand the accessories to your specific needs. I'd also recommend the Think Tank Helipak backpack, $200.

Even though I love my P3A I would go with a P3P or P4 if I were buying new. Some will argue that you don't need 4k and there are still many new TV's and monitors that are only 1080 but I personally think it is not a bad time to move to 4k.

The package deals do offer many of the items you will end up buying so why not.

I love my hard backpack. I can fit everything I need for a day of flying in it and it is pretty well protected so that is why I picked this package.

https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-...UTF8&qid=1477531900&sr=8-5&keywords=phantom+4

I like that package, but is there any DJI warrantee, and I'm guessing all parts are DJI?
Also amazon doesn't take PayPal correct?

I like that package, but is there any DJI warrantee, and I'm guessing all parts are DJI?
Also amazon doesn't take PayPal correct?

I can not say if they are a DJI official dealer or not and if they offer factory warranties? No Amazon does not like Paypal. There are may deals like this on Ebay but I believe you will run into the same issues on warranties.

I am pretty sure you will find what you need at Wally World who is a official dealer. dji phantom 4 - Walmart.com

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan