Newbie to Phantom 3 and Site

Reaction score
I purchased my new P3A this week and took it out for its maiden voyage today. Having never flown a quadcopter (or any airborne RC for that matter) I was pretty nervous to hit the throttle for the first time!

I spent most of the last couple of weeks preparing myself by reading all the documentation I could find, watched countless videos on YouTube and read many entries on this site.

Along with the P3A I also purchased a barely used Nexus 7 II and Nanuk 945 case off of eBay as well as an extra (OEM) battery. After updating the firmware and doing the IMU, gimbal, RC and compass calibrations I took my family and bird out to a local field and had a blast!

I'm still on beginner mode and will be for awhile. I plan on taking baby steps for my first several flights but I was amazed on how easy it was to take off, fly and land. While I concentrated mostly on flying and getting my bearings, I did shoot some pretty good video and stills just to test functionality.

I've found that this site is a wealth of knowledge and I thank you all for the various posts that have helped me gain a lot of "pre-flight experience".

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Welcome, glad you found this place. Its great. The guys and gals here are very friendly and really quick to help out with questions- big or small. Try to use the search function first before making a new thread, most stuff has been covered. Lots of good info here!

EDIT: Unsolicited Pro-tips - #1 Practice landing! Its best to just hold full down on left stick to descend and continue to hold until motors stop. How do you descend? seems people are losing Phantoms from doing CSC in mid flight. There is a phantom simulator in the DJI GO app "academy"(graduation cap icon); use it a couple of times to practice a CSC (Combination Stick Command).
#2 make sure the DJI battery "clicks" in place on the phantom and recently charged to full 100%.

Godspeed!
God_f19c6d_1781083.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kate and sonof40
Welcome! You're doing everything right, so you're off to a very good start. Research is always great, and of course, always feel free to search and/or ask questions if you have any. We're all very happy to help. You've bought one of the best in class drones. It looks like you're having a great time with it, which is completely expected. Get the basics down first of course, and a good tip to know is to try ATTI mode just in case you lose GPS, which is rare, but it can happen. One thing you might want to invest into is a GPS tracker like a Trackimo or a Marco Polo if you fly in very remote areas. I've experienced a flyaway, which is again very rare, but happens, so it never hurts to protect yourself. Happy flying!

Reactions: Kate
welcome and have fun. Remember we are here to help or just listen. If something just doesn't seem right just ask us. There are some really smart people on here.

Thanks for the tips. They are always welcome!

Welcome! You're doing everything right, so you're off to a very good start. Research is always great, and of course, always feel free to search and/or ask questions if you have any. We're all very happy to help. You've bought one of the best in class drones. It looks like you're having a great time with it, which is completely expected. Get the basics down first of course, and a good tip to know is to try ATTI mode just in case you lose GPS, which is rare, but it can happen. One thing you might want to invest into is a GPS tracker like a Trackimo or a Marco Polo if you fly in very remote areas. I've experienced a flyaway, which is again very rare, but happens, so it never hurts to protect yourself. Happy flying!

I went with the Marco Polo and am waiting to receive it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers