Newbie that is too scared to turn it on...

Reaction score
Got my Phantom2 last night and assembled it today. Not much instructions with it.
After briefly reading a few posts, I quickly became to afraid to even turn it on. I do not have a GoPro as of yet but figured I could get some practice flying it until I can make it to the store to pick up a camera.
Is there a step by step instructional manual or video for my version of Phantom and other than what came in the box (with the exception of 4AA batteries) is there anything else I need? I've seen a few people with some sort of range extender, FPV set-up, phone holder? I assumed it would have come with it. The manual basically told me to scan the barcode and it would direct me to the set-up video. The video shows the set-up for a Vision+.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Completely new to this stuff.

Dude. Dont be scared. Search youtube for vids, read the instructions and understand what they are saying and you are good to go.

I have only had 17 flights and these things rock. I recently switched from phantom to naza mode and using IOC is way better than no IOC.

Easy aircraft to fly.

Have fun

About a month ago I was in your same situation. Only experience was a few RC cars and trucks. Just keep reading the posts, watch the vids and read the manual. I set mine to NAZA mode, calibrated and verified all switches. On the first flight it was full throttle to a 6 ft hover, looked good went forward, backward, left and right. It was easy and within a few minutes figure 8's, circles on point, multiple takeoffs and landings. It was a great day. Enjoy!

04BLKUAV said:
Got my Phantom2 last night and assembled it today. Not much instructions with it.
After briefly reading a few posts, I quickly became to afraid to even turn it on. I do not have a GoPro as of yet but figured I could get some practice flying it until I can make it to the store to pick up a camera.
Is there a step by step instructional manual or video for my version of Phantom and other than what came in the box (with the exception of 4AA batteries) is there anything else I need? I've seen a few people with some sort of range extender, FPV set-up, phone holder? I assumed it would have come with it. The manual basically told me to scan the barcode and it would direct me to the set-up video. The video shows the set-up for a Vision+.
Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Completely new to this stuff.

Why did you buy it? If it was to go flying or seeing your locality from above then what the heck are you playing at. Go and fly the thing. It's designed to take off and sit there awaiting your commands. ;) It's not a terminator, it won't attack you.

You say you've "briefly" read some posts. Try reading extensively. You've been given a link to download the manual. That has a pretty detailed list of instructions, including basic flying.

You've spent some money on this device which is currently a paperweight.

Just saying

Bmews

Since its your 1st post welcome to the forum and don't let the arrogant pessimistic bass turds scare you away.

The Internet is an amplification device for the unhappy people of the world. I am always interested in how often it seems to be the same small group of guys who account for the majority of complaints and "issues".

FWIW, I've been flying a Vision and Vision plus since March. I have yet to have any issues with either one. This evening I did some distance testing with my box stock P2V+ at my local RC field. I have my lateral limits set to 2,000 feet. SO I wanted to see if that worked. I'd never gone farther than 1,100 feet before. Tonight I went all the way out to my limit and the software told me that I had reached the limit I programmed. I did it twice, once at 100 feet and once at 200 feet altitude.

At 2,000 feet with my Vision + I still had full flight control and WiFi connections at both 100 and 200 feet high.

I fly carefully and suggest taking baby steps until you gain confidence in yourself and your equipment. But there are way more happy owners that you will never hear about than the unhappy ones who swamp the various Internet forums.

Just a few short weeks ago, I was in your shoes. I had invested over 3k for my choice of package/setup. I bought a Phantom 2, Sundance Edition from DSLRPros.

It can be a bit overwhelming, but you can get a handle on it. I think its critical to take baby steps with the learning curve.

As of today, I have logged 16 successful flights. Tomorrow , I will be putting the GoPro and gimbal back onto the bird and I plan to take some of my first videos. I won't be fast and my video may not be beautiful to anyone but me, but I will get through this exercise without crashes or other damaging issues. It will be fun and I will learn how this craft feels under this load.

My sleeping pills are kicking in, so I need to shut up for now.

Just take it slow, "baby steps", push yourself to learn and try to ignore the posts from occasional jerks that are not here to help. If you read enough of this forum, you will learn who the guys are that want to help and who the worthless punks are.

Just stay at it and the fun will find you.

Good grief.......grow a set of balls. Afraid to turn it on? Why the heck did you buy it? Talk about the pussification of america

PhantomPhreak said:
About a month ago I was in your same situation. Only experience was a few RC cars and trucks. Just keep reading the posts, watch the vids and read the manual. I set mine to NAZA mode, calibrated and verified all switches. On the first flight it was full throttle to a 6 ft hover, looked good went forward, backward, left and right. It was easy and within a few minutes figure 8's, circles on point, multiple takeoffs and landings. It was a great day. Enjoy!
Good info here. I had a small quad that was a bummer to fly. When I popped my P2V up for the first time it just stayed in place, it was great. "Look Ma, no hands!" Just READ and understand the manual. Be out in the open somewhere and have a BLAST!
Be sure you take off quick after sat lock. NO slow take off. Have fun!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic