Newbie Tablet Question

Reaction score
I feel like a kid at Christmas! My 50th Bday is tomorrow and my wonderful wife has purchased a P3S for me!!! I've been trying to do my homework on this forum (Great by the way) and my first of many questions is that the only options until I get the machine tomorrow is either my phone LG V10 or the Ellipsis 7" tab WiFi only. I have seen the compatible list but neither is on it. Anybody tried these?

Thanks

My ellipse cellular works so the wifi should. Make sure you optimize it

I bought a used Nexus 7 (2013) on Craigslist for $99.
It is a good tablet.... pure android (no bloatware).... it is frequently among frontrunners on the approved tablet lists.

I feel like a kid at Christmas! My 50th Bday is tomorrow and my wonderful wife has purchased a P3S for me!!! I've been trying to do my homework on this forum (Great by the way) and my first of many questions is that the only options until I get the machine tomorrow is either my phone LG V10 or the Ellipsis 7" tab WiFi only. I have seen the compatible list but neither is on it. Anybody tried these?

Thanks
I use and lg 70 and a fire tablet. Both work fine, and like you, neither is on the list.

For sure use tablet over phone. Honestly you can get a almost new iPad Air 2 mini for 149. Then no issues. May as well enjoy the big 50 in style. I know I did. :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You can at least load the app on the phone or the tablet while you wait. I used my phone for 5 months until I bought the tablet, and it was fine, but I'm a guy who hardly ever looks at the tablet, just to line up shots or see how I'm oriented if its way out there. And it doesn't take maximum range for it to disappear, especially if your eyes are 60. LOL

One of the most important things to note when buying a tablet for your Phantom is to make certain it has built in GPS... the kind that does not require WiFi to work. It will allow for more DJI Go flight options. I believe iPads don't have GPS unless you get a model with celular data capabilities.

One of the most important things to note when buying a tablet for your Phantom is to make certain it has built in GPS... the kind that does not require WiFi to work. It will allow for more DJI Go flight options. I believe iPads don't have GPS unless you get a model with celular data capabilities.
I'vebeen meaning to ask someone, do all cell phones have gps? I have flown my P3 with my fire and my lg phone, done poi, and follow me, but haven't done any waypoint flights. I'm just wondering what the lack of gps restricts, since I know for sure that my tablet doesn't have it, just wifi.

I'vebeen meaning to ask someone, do all cell phones have gps? I have flown my P3 with my fire and my lg phone, done poi, and follow me, but haven't done any waypoint flights. I'm just wondering what the lack of gps restricts, since I know for sure that my tablet doesn't have it, just wifi.

Cell phones have stand alone GPS or what is called "assisted GPS"... which just means they work in conjunction with cell phone towers to pinpoint your location.

If you have a phone or tablet with GPS you can then change your return to home point to wherever you are standing vice where the Phantom took off from. You can also use the "follow me" option in the DJI GO app. Also your map info will work in the DJI GO app.

DJI should really include a GPS in the controller in future editions (perhaps this will be the case with the Phantom 4).

Cell phones have stand alone GPS or what is called "assisted GPS"... which just means they work in conjunction with cell phone towers to pinpoint your location.

If you have a phone or tablet with GPS you can then change your return to home point to wherever you are standing vice where the Phantom took off from. You can also use the "follow me" option in the DJI GO app. Also your map info will work in the DJI GO app.

DJI should really include a GPS in the controller in future editions (perhaps this will be the case with the Phantom 4).
I see. I know you apparently don't need gps for poi, because I've used my tablet for that, but follow me I may have used the phone. I cant really remember. My phone to me is just something you need to fly the drone. I guess as long as I have one with gps and one without, I guess I'm good. Thanks for clearing that up.

I've succesfully loaded DJI Go on both devices up to a point of connecting the bird with no glitches. I'll post my results tomorrow. In the meantime, I'll fly my protocol slipstream around the living room and terrorize the dogs!! Lol!

just find any tablet or phone that has a processer that is 1.2ghz or higher and the has min. 1gb ram ,or higher , wifi with gps or wifi + cellular
then you will be fine ,

just my opinion and Samsung Galaxy tab 4 seems to be also fine . as I have seen from other peoples post

Thanks
Samsung Tab 4. New at $130 or used/refurbished around $90. 7" screen with incredible resolution and brightness. Great processor as well. I've used a lot of tablets (including ipad) and for the price, feel this one is great!

Reactions: Nabzo
Nabzo and Irongate are right. I am still kind of new, but I know that the devices with the fastest processors work best.

Samsung Tab 4. New at $130 or used/refurbished around $90. 7" screen with incredible resolution and brightness. Great processor as well. I've used a lot of tablets (including ipad) and for the price, feel this one is great!

Does the Tab4 have GPS or is it the same as an ipad, you need to pay more for a cellular version?

Edit: I see they have GPS/Glonass. Where are you seeing refurb for $90. Walmart has 8gb refurb for $130.

Thanks for your help.

I have flown my P3S using my Iphone 5, and my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. Both function, but there is considerable lag, slow processing, and the devices get hot. The Nexus 7 - 2013 is pleasurable. Fast. Best screen in the business also.

Reactions: Nabzo
I'm just trying to find something in between cost-wise of an Ipad and a cheap $40 Walmart tablet. The Galaxy 4 peaked my interest...

Does the Tab4 have GPS or is it the same as an ipad, you need to pay more for a cellular version?

Edit: I see they have GPS/Glonass. Where are you seeing refurb for $90. Walmart has 8gb refurb for $130.

Thanks for your help.
Sorry, wrong about the $90... amazon had them refurbished for just over $110. Worth it just to pick one up from Walmart for $130. Great unit for the price. Hard to beat.

Sorry, wrong about the $90... amazon had them refurbished for just over $110. Worth it just to pick one up from Walmart for $130. Great unit for the price. Hard to beat.
Also, just picked one up last week brand new for $128 at Wal mart. New, not refurbished.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers