Newbie questions

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a complete newbie from the UK (South Bucks) and just bought a Phantom 3 off eBay 2nd hand that's only been flown a few times. I did my first flight yesterday and everything worked as it should and I got some great pics and video. A couple of scares with a tree and flying out of range but got back safely.

I noticed though that the firmware was out of date and from what I can gather it can be troublesome to update so please could someone just guide me on the following:

1) is it essential to update the firmware - what difference does it actually make?
2) if I do try to update, is it significant that I have two batteries?
3) are there any other considerations?
4) if I buy a signal booster will this negate the need for a firmware upgrade in terms of a potential performance hike

Im over in Florida in early April and plan to take the P3 with me and am just scoping out the best case to buy to make sure that I can safely take it on as cabin baggage on Virgin/Delta.

Pouring with rain today so sadly no flying...

Thanks in advance for any help

Peter

Hi,

I'm a complete newbie from the UK (South Bucks) and just bought a Phantom 3 off eBay 2nd hand that's only been flown a few times. I did my first flight yesterday and everything worked as it should and I got some great pics and video. A couple of scares with a tree and flying out of range but got back safely.

I noticed though that the firmware was out of date and from what I can gather it can be troublesome to update so please could someone just guide me on the following:

1) is it essential to update the firmware - what difference does it actually make?
4) if I buy a signal booster will this negate the need for a firmware upgrade in terms of a potential performance hike

Im over in Florida in early April and plan to take the P3 with me and am just scoping out the best case to buy to make sure that I can safely take it on as cabin baggage on Virgin/Delta.

Peter
Hi the firmware update important,,it sorta sposed to help iron out any glitchs and safer flying,,, no one batt heaps,,,,,signal booster wont make firmware updates stop coming,!,,:oops:,,,bloody rain,,,,i got wind,,,,,

Hi,

Peter
If unsure about doin update reinstall dji app that should give latest version for your drone

Reactions: peteruk
Hi,

Peter
1488700272172375316343.jpg
these r phantom cases ,,must b online somewhere

Thanks. Yes plenty on eBay but I need to find one that complies with airline cabin bag max size. Most are 56cmx36x24.

Cheers Andy but it's just that tiny bit too big (46 x 33 x 25 cm).

If I go by the letter of Virgin Atlantic's website which states that 56cmx36x23 is the max size. I could risk it but don't want to be told I can't take it because it's 2cm too big!!

Hi Peter. I have always updated when prompted to and never have had any problems. I would suggest updating before your next flight. Being new I wouldn't worry about range mods. As long as you are flying in a low interference area such as out in the countryside and not in the middle of town the p3s has more than enough range. And remember your not supposed to fly any further away than 500m legally anyway. ;)

Reactions: peteruk
what version firmware is on the AC? some do have issues. So upgrading depends more on what is on it, and what you want to put on it.
my airport has a box at terminal, bag fits in it, you can take it on plane. so make a cardboard box, have wires sticking out for effect, and go down and check. Be warned, heathrow security is VERY efficient, I never heard them when they spotted my hand grenades till I was on the ground. LOL

I'm not sure - I'm sorry to sound dim but how do I work out what version of firmware the P3S has? What's the most up to date version?

I'm not sure - I'm sorry to sound dim but how do I work out what version of firmware the P3S has? What's the most up to date version?
Hi always update the firmware when upgrade notification is show in app,,,if u power up and it says update ,,do update,,,if not telling u to update u might already have latest version,,,;)happy flyin

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl