Newbie questions before I buy

L X

Reaction score
A couple of quick questions that I can't seem to find answers to by searching the forum.

Can I set IOC permanently? In other words have DJI fixed the problem with it not taking off in OCC and losing IOC if it gets within 10m that I have read about?

Is there a list of remote controller 'modes' anywhere? Being left handed I'd like to have the left stick do forwards/backwards/left/right and the right stick do up/down/turn or something close to that.

In other words have DJI fixed the problem with it not taking off in OCC and losing IOC if it gets within 10m that I have read about?
I've never heard of such a problem. Can you explain in more detail?

Is there a list of remote controller 'modes' anywhere?
You can customize the sticks in the DJI GO app.

Maybe talking about the situation when initiating rth causes bird to land where it's at if too close to operator.

Is there a list of remote controller 'modes' anywhere? Being left handed I'd like to have the left stick do forwards/backwards/left/right and the right stick do up/down/turn or something close to that.

Not sure what left handed/right handed really has to do with it IMHO.
If you've not flown a drone or any R/C before, I'd suggest sticking to the norms, because if you switch the controls to the way you mentioned, you wouldn't be able to fly anyone else's drone, and no one else would be able to fly yours, without having to switch the settings around.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've never heard of such a problem. Can you explain in more detail?

I got the information from this video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You can customize the sticks in the DJI GO app.

Thanks, that's good news if it means I can put the controls where I want them to be, rather than choosing from a couple of 'modes'.

Are you asking if you can use Home Lock to fly the Phantom back to the home point? If so, it's not possible. Once your Phantom is in sight, flip back to P-mode and manually fly it home.

Not sure what left handed/right handed really has to do with it IMHO.
If you've not flown a drone or any R/C before, I'd suggest sticking to the norms, because if you switch the controls to the way you mentioned, you wouldn't be able to fly anyone else's drone, and no one else would be able to fly yours

I bought a really cheap Syma drone to learn with, and that can easily be switched between modes, so I assumed the P3S could be too.

I wasn't planning on letting anyone else fly mine, and my left hand is much more dextrous (sorry to any etymologists reading this), so I'd prefer the direction controls on the left.

Last edited:
Are you asking if you can use Home Lock to fly the Phantom back to the home point? If so, it's not possible. Once your Phantom is in sight, flip back to P-mode and manually fly it home.

Where I live, it's illegal not to have it in sight at all times... I guess I'm just trying to understand the terminology, I'm used to what Syma call 'headless mode', where pushing the sick away makes the drone fly away, pulling the stick closer makes the drone move closer. If I can make the P3S do that, great, but I definitely want to be sure it won't suddenly and dangerously choose re-configure it's controls when it gets close, which seems to be what the video says will happen.

Ideally, I'd also like the left/right controls to be relative my position too so I don't have to worry about orientation, which the non GPS Syma couldn't do.

Isn't that video for the P2? It refers to switching the S2 for IOC, but the P3 doesn't do that.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Isn't that video for the P2? It refers to switching the S2 for IOC, but the P3 doesn't do that.

That's what I wanted to know, thanks! I'm a lot more comfortable knowing the controls won't swap round of their own accord if I fly to a particular place.

L X, check out this video for more details on how Home Lock works:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks... so there are still a problems with this mode, it doesn't work if you are less than 5m from home. I guess this also means you can't stay in this mode permanently because you can't take off in it? Or do I have to set 'home' then move 5m on the ground to get the machine to behave as expected?

No, you cannot stay in any of the IOC modes permanently. There really is no valid use case for wanting to do so either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31