newbie question

Reaction score
Hello,
After having my P3S for a week, finally was able to get it out for its maiden flight. Updated firmware, latest DJI Go App, IMU calibration, compass calibration, using in beginner mode. When it gets about 100 feet from me (not in altitude) it stops and won't go any further. Is that because it's in beginner mode? And regardless 100 feet altitude or 100 feet distance horizontally on the ground from the RC, does that figure into the equation when in beginner mode? Also, when flying left/right/forward/backward, it's not in a perfectly straight line, it's off. Did I not calibrate something correctly? Thanks for any feedback, and forgive my naiveté. This is a great site and appreciate everyone's advice.

When it gets about 100 feet from me (not in altitude) it stops and won't go any further. Is that because it's in beginner mode?
Yes.

Also, when flying left/right/forward/backward, it's not in a perfectly straight line, it's off.
Please describe this in more detail.

Yes.

Please describe this in more detail.
I was having the P3S hover in front of me, when I made it fly forward, it didn't fly in a perfectly straight line, same thing when flying backwards. I went back and forth several times standing behind the P3S so i could view its flight path, I was making sure that I was pushing the stick straight up or pulling straight down. Left and right wasn't as bad as forward and backward. Thanks for your time. It might just me being paranoid, and not knowing all the subtleties of the P3S yet.

What you're describing sounds normal. GPS is not 100% accurate. It's pretty close though.

What you're describing sounds normal. GPS is not 100% accurate. It's pretty close though.
Wonderful! Thanks so much for the speedy reply, I was nervous as heck taking it up the first time. Hopefully by the 100th time I won't be, haha!

Just take your time and practice in an open area. You'll get the hang of it :)

Reactions: Kate and Uhly
Very helpful, thx. I am nervous about my maiden voyage... Trying to find a good spot because I am within 5 miles of an airport and Faa says I can't do it on the local golf course because too close to airport!

Very helpful, thx. I am nervous about my maiden voyage... Trying to find a good spot because I am within 5 miles of an airport and Faa says I can't do it on the local golf course because too close to airport!

You can fly within 5 miles of an airport. You just need to advise the tower that you will be flying. Give them a call. I've never had a bad experience with notifying a tower. Your not asking permission your letting them know you will be flying. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Kate
Is that also the case when in "beginner" mode?

The beginner mode only limits your height and distance. In my opinion if your new to this keep it in beginner for a while!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: ROD PAINTER

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31