newbie question

Reaction score
Hi all. Been trying to find info on your site regarding losing signal at altitude. I've only done around six flights so far, mainly just exploring handling etc and practising landings in specific spots and just getting to know it. My question is I got a message saying it had lost contact at an altitude of around 100m. Just over 300ft. It all came back and control's regained no big drama. How does it decide what it's altitude is. Is it from above ground level or from launch point. I live in the caldera of an old volcano in Australia. Lots of waterfalls, canyons etc. If I launch from a cliff of 100m, fly off the cliff the altitude is immediately above the 100m. Does it lose contact, drop to 20m and fly into the cliff face trying to get back to its point of origin. Thanks in advance. It's a great looking forum.

Next time you fly watch the displayed altitude from the start.
You'll see that it starts at zero feet wherever you are and all heights are displayed relative to that.
The Phantom has no idea what the local terrain is. It can't tell if there are mountains or ocean beneath or in front of it. It only knows where it took off from and what level that was.

Your Phantom has a barometric sensor to tell its altitude.

In a RTH situation it will climb to home point level + 20 metres.
When in tricky situations with terrain, trees etc it can be very useful to reset home point up in the air so that RTH happens above tree tops rather than through them.

Thanks for the quick reply. So if I launched off the 100m cliff for instance and descended down it should show a negative value for the altitude until such times as it gained height to its start point again.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl