newbie question

Reaction score
Hi all. Been trying to find info on your site regarding losing signal at altitude. I've only done around six flights so far, mainly just exploring handling etc and practising landings in specific spots and just getting to know it. My question is I got a message saying it had lost contact at an altitude of around 100m. Just over 300ft. It all came back and control's regained no big drama. How does it decide what it's altitude is. Is it from above ground level or from launch point. I live in the caldera of an old volcano in Australia. Lots of waterfalls, canyons etc. If I launch from a cliff of 100m, fly off the cliff the altitude is immediately above the 100m. Does it lose contact, drop to 20m and fly into the cliff face trying to get back to its point of origin. Thanks in advance. It's a great looking forum.

The distance will increase with the more flights you make. The developers set it up this way.

I know you can change the limits but that wasn't my issue. I was just concerned over where and how it decides what altitude insist in relation to its take off point. Thanks for the reply

Launch point is the 0 point altitude. You get used to it.
If it's above 20m when it loses contact it will rise to 20m then come home... If it's above 20m then it will just come home then descend.
I've never heard of the usage increasing the range... sounds...
Check your antenna angle and any objects blocking the line of sight signal if you're losing signal within 100m (3D space so distance and altitude combined, you could be 2 km out then only lose signal when you ascend to 100m... this is fine)

Thanks very much guys. Most of my rc experience has involved reducing things back to kit form. I'm trying to keep this intact due to the expense involved buying one here

downunderdrone said:
Thanks very much guys. Most of my rc experience has involved reducing things back to kit form. I'm trying to keep this intact due to the expense involved buying one here

Best thing to do is read the manual. Next best thing is to give as much detail as possible when asking any questions.

I've rechecked the manual before asking the question which seemed fairly clear to the other respondents. Please accept my apologies for confusing you with my inexperience

downunderdrone said:
If I launch from a cliff of 100m, fly off the cliff the altitude is immediately above the 100m. Does it lose contact, drop to 20m and fly into the cliff face trying to get back to its point of origin. Thanks in advance. It's a great looking forum.

There is a difference between altitude and height above ground, and you're confusing them. In your scenario, it will rise to an altitude 20 meter ABOVE where you launched from, then fly home. The Phantom doesn't really know where the ground is, it only knows where it began it's flight.

flyNfrank said:
The distance will increase with the more flights you make. The developers set it up this way.

Hi flyNfrank

How does this work?
Do you every time you fly have to push the distance until connection is lost?
or does it automatically happen over time?

How much extra distance do you get per flight?

Did the developer program the controller and WiFi distance like this?

I have done over 70 flights, but my distance has not improved much. I loose touch at about 820ft.

Where can I find information on this issue? Sorry for all the questions, but can't find specific answers on the forum.

GustavL said:
flyNfrank said:

Hi flyNfrank

How does this work?
Do you every time you fly have to push the distance until connection is lost?
or does it automatically happen over time?

How much extra distance do you get per flight?

Did the developer program the controller and WiFi distance like this?

I have done over 70 flights, but my distance has not improved much. I loose touch at about 820ft.

Where can I find information on this issue? Sorry for all the questions, but can't find specific answers on the forum.

It's a joke.

There's no such feature or restriction.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20