Newbie question with Vision Plus?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I hope you can help, I have pre-ordered my first drone a Phantom Vision 2 Plus kit. I am a experienced RC heli piliot 15yrs + however no nothing about drones.

I am really keen on using the ground station but at the same time want the Vision plus is this possible do I need to pre-order something else?

Re: Newbie question, can I use Ground Station with Vision Pl

I'm pretty sure from previous posts it is compatible with P2 only

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

IrishSights said:
I'm pretty sure from previous posts it is compatible with P2 only

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Do you happen to know if there is any work around mate? Would I be better off cancelling my order?

Dji will release an update to allow compatibility with the Vision Plus, but I don't know when.

Diesel31 said:
Dji will release an update to allow compatibility with the Vision Plus, but I don't know when.

You sound pretty confident mate, is all the required hardware there in principle then? Do you recommend I stick with my pre-order then I want the best of both worlds, to be honest I would even be happy if it was a upgrade module they released after

Sorry, I don't know when the firmware will be released to work with the Vision Plus, so depending on your patience, that would answer your question to cancel or keep. I believe that all required hardware is included and the only reason it's not available for the Vision Plus is due to the software.

I had my GS for a few weeks before I started tinkering with it. That was a mistake. GS is pretty simple to use and I trust it way more than my flying. :lol:

Here's a sample:

https://vimeo.com/93343521

At the end, I attached a screenshot of the waypoints from my GS so you can an idea of the flight path I sent it on.

Hello from a newbie with questions

Hey Guys,

Brand new vision + owner, just received it on Thursday. I am brand new to quadcopters or actually any remote controlled flying vehicle. I had always wanted a remote controlled helicopter or plane when I was a younger but for various reasons, I never acquired one. ANYWAY...

I have a few questions so if you will bare with me, I'd very much appreciate it. So far I have tested the motors, camera/gimball, intelligent batteries, remote and range extender and all seem to be functioning properly. The only thing I haven't done is calibrate the compass or update the firmware/software on the copter or RC unit.

My questions are as follows;

1) There are two clear lock pins in the drop kit (came this way) and there are two spares. Am I supposed to put the other two in myself for better stability on the drop kit or are they just spares?

2) on DJI's website there are 3 executables for download. DJI Win drivers, the phantom RC assistant and the phantom vision + assistant 3.0. I downloaded all of them but so far I've only installed the phantom vision assistant 3.0. Do I need to execute the win drivers and RC assistant? It looks like there are calibration tools for the RC unit already in the vision assistant software.

3) Do I really need or want to update the software anyway? I've been reading some horror stories after doing so or at least several people who were unhappy with the new updates. However, if they are going to make things easier for a newbie like myself, then I suppose I should do the updates.

I plan on flying for the first several flights using GPS assist for obvious reasons, but the few times I've tested this, there was usually less than 6 satellites available so I haven't been able to get a lock very often or very long. So this brings me to question...

4) Am I going to have a difficult time getting a GPS lock and is it going to keep going in and out of GPS lock? Is this common and if so, what is the best way to deal with that. I'm really concerned about a fly away, these things aren't cheap.

Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any responses.

Re: Hello from a newbie with questions

Ok first of all please read through recent posts here. I have posted quite a few for new flyers. The pv2+ is not suitable for new flyers so please heed my warnings. The camera and gimbal break very easily. I've posted a lot on youtube videos with colin guinn with the non plus vision. Watch them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Read read and then read more then watch a few hours of youtube videos that ive suggested. Take it very slowly, learn the basics and enjoy.
Happy flying,
Mal.
(I dont want you to be another statistic)

1 - You only need 2 anti-drops. The other two are spares in case you need to replace a broken one. (they are NOT reusable)

2 - Download all three. Install the Vision+ & RC Assistant. Connect the Vision+ to USB, power her on, then install the drivers. You must install the drivers for Windows to understand a Vision+ is connected. Then you can run the Assistant(s).

3 - You may not need to update your firmware, but you will want to calibrate your controller. You may also want to modify your Geofence, enable NAZA mode, set S1 for Failsafe, and enable IOC so you have course lock & home lock available when flying.

4 - I have never had difficulty achieving a GPS lock in open surroundings. If you don't have a clear skyview (i.e. you are in the city or a tree bowl where you can only see overhead), then it may prove more difficult. My Vision+ has never spontaneously lost GPS lock in 54 flights.

Thanks for the swift response and welcome Mal.

Yes, I have read all about the recent accidents of broken gimbals and cameras from the new vision plus owners, it's got me quite scared. I have read through my manual several times and watched a lot of videos and tutorials. Learned about the spiral vortex with too fast a decent , fly aways etc.

I need answers to the questions I've asked though to even get started, albeit very, very cautiously.

Thanks for the answers and responses Dirty bird.

I think I understand most of your answers, except for this:
You may also want to modify your Geofence, enable NAZA mode, set S1 for Failsafe, and enable IOC so you have course lock & home lock available when flying
. These things I have no clue about and there doesn't seem to be any mention of these tips in the manual. What exactly is Geofence, IOC and NAZA?

Your phantom comes by default in "phantom mode" its for new flyers and I suggest you stick with that until you get at least 20 hours flying. Then you can hook it up to your pc/laptop/mac and change it to "naza mode" this will give you more advanced features but I suggest you learn the ropes first and read up on naza mode on the side until you are a bit more experienced and confident

Enjoy your learning curve first. Little steps, then giant leaps!

Ok thanks again Mal for the advice and info.

Just to be clear, phantom mode is when the S1 and S2 switches are both in the uppermost position?

In phantom mode which comes by default unless you change it by hooking your bird up to your computer means, s2 the left switch does nothing in any position, s1 switch on the right means, when its pushed to the top its in gps mode which is what you want, fly it anyway you want and as soon as you take your fingers off the sticks it will just stop asap as long as you got satellite reception (always remember to get home lock before take off, quick green flashing lights, then wait for another quick set of flashing green lights 10-20secs later) s2 in middle position is ATTI mode. Just like gps mode but this time if you are flying and take your hands off the sticks, she'll hold height but she'll keep going laterally in the direction she waw going. Think gps mode has air brakes, ATTI mode doesnt.

Oh and S1 at the bottom means GPS.... I think..... its been a while..... someone please confirm.... :)

Gotcha Mal....thanks! I'm very anxious to start flying, BUT, I have read all the stories about new vision plus owners who've crashed and burned and it's got me very nervous. It was a perfect weekend to fly my new bird, sunny, no wind but I held off because I want to make sure all my questions and concerns are answered before I make my maiden flight.

Fly slow at first, make sure that s1 switch is up at all times. Keep the camera pointed away from you so you learn left and right first, then learn when the camera is pointing at you that its reversed on the controls. Get to understand that first. Fly on your own in wide open spaces, dont bring friends or family, they'll distract you. Get to learn and love your new bird because they are ******* funtastic, but learn first, show off later and enjoy ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues