Newbie question, why does the IOC feature do bugger all?

Reaction score
I was under the impression that the IOC toggle switch on the top left would bring the Phantom back to me if I lost orientation. I tested this feature in principle today the Phantom was at least 30ft away and it made no difference? Luckily I an a fairly experienced RC heli flyer but I wanted to test the feature to ensured it worked.

Any idea's why it failed?

lukeglazebrook said:
I was under the impression that the IOC toggle switch on the top left would bring the Phantom back to me if I lost orientation. I tested this feature in principle today the Phantom was at least 30ft away and it made no difference? Luckily I an a fairly experienced RC heli flyer but I wanted to test the feature to ensured it worked.

It's that reading the manual thing again - maybe.

Have you enabled NAZA-M mode? If not, you don't have access to IOC functionality.

Just as panhygrous pantler stated, are you in NAZA-M mode? I just switched mine yesterday when raining and tested it today and the feature worked perfectly.

lukeglazebrook said:

When you say that you expect the top left toggle switch to bring the Phantom back to you - that's a 3-way switch, so presumably you mean if you set it to position 3 (HL) and then pull back on the right stick - correct?

If so, then yes, but only if you first enable Naza mode on the Phantom, and then enable IOC. Both done with the Phantom Assistant software.

lukeglazebrook said:

Study, study, study!!! Off, HL, CL, Course direction, home position, number of sats, GPS attitude, attitude, fail safe, intelligent mode, immediate mode, many CSCs, led indications, landing, go home and landing. And so much more. Need more info about what your switches were at and sticks and so on.

lukeglazebrook said:

you have much studying to do....

Did you enable NAZA-M? IF you did, then it is the RIGHT hand switch that can ( I say, can, only if you configure it to do so with the software assistant) be used to active RTH automatically. The left hand switch moved to homelock will bring the phantom back to it's home point if you pull the right hand stick down, or towards you.

If your Phantom is still programed as from the factory, the left hand switch doesn't do much.

Also, for the home lock feature to work, the phantom must be more than 10 meters away from you. You said it was 30', so assuming you did everything else correct, you probably were too close.

By default both toggle switches are disabled (apart from being in GPS mode). Connect the Phantom to the assistant software & enable NAZA mode, then it will work. TIP: Set the bottom position on the R/H toggle to FAILSAFE just in case.
** Also worth noting if you fly it in MANUAL mode, there's absolutely no assistance from the GPS. Won't hover in place, nothing.

hey luke, I humbly suggest you check on the former thread you created here. In it people including me described the functions you're asking about here, including the difference between Phantom and Naza modes and IOC, why you may want one or the other, and how to have a good simple Failsafe feature in Phantom mode by enabling it via the right toggle switch using Phantom Assistant.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
By default both toggle switches are disabled (apart from being in GPS mode). Connect the Phantom to the assistant software & enable NAZA mode, then it will work. TIP: Set the bottom position on the R/H toggle to FAILSAFE just in case.

just want clarify here mate! technically that's not true... in Phantom mode the right switch isn't disabled, however both it's upper and lower positions are "NormalFly"... meaning nothing changes in terms of flight if you toggle it.

One can change the lower toggle setting via Phantom Assistant to manually trigger Failsafe... and of course regain manual control by toggling back up to NormalFly. again this is in Phantom mode

If you change the flight computer to Naza mode then toggling the right switch enables ATTI modes which further enable the CL/HL functions on the left toggle. I haven't bothered to switch to Naza mode because for me, manually triggering Failsafe in Phantom mode accomplishes what I want (autopilot RTH + descend) so I can't say if you can change the bottom setting on the toggle to also trigger failsafe, I just wanted to mention that the feature is indeed available in Phantom mode, you don't have to switch to Naza just to get a manual Failsafe option.

I edited out the part about flying in Manual mode because you were spot on there... full manual mode = no GPS assist.. very difficult to fly and not recommended except for experts!

Phantom_Menace66 said:
** Also worth noting if you fly it in MANUAL mode, there's absolutely no assistance from the GPS. Won't hover in place, nothing.

They are not disabled by default. The Phantom comes from the factory programed so the S1 switch is used to enter the compass calibration, and the S2 switch will reset your home position. In either case, one has to flip the switches up and down at least 5 times quickly to get those results. The factory default mode is also known as "Phantom" mode.

EDIT: oh, and S1 can also be used to regain control during a failsafe RTH once the craft if back in range. (pg 42 Vision Manual). Perhaps the most important feature of the switches in Phantom mode.

When in NAZA mode, the switches act quite differently.

:D

What exactly is the difference between ATT and manual modes? I thought ATT mode didn't use GPS, that if you were moving laterally and let go of the stick, it would just keep going until you counteracted the motion or inertia ran out....

darwin-t said:
What exactly is the difference between ATT and manual modes? I thought ATT mode didn't use GPS, that if you were moving laterally and let go of the stick, it would just keep going until you counteracted the motion or inertia ran out....

ATTI is still an autopilot mode, maintaining altitude and stability, just not position. In MANUAL it maintains nothing at all - you have full control.

darwin-t said:
ATTI mode still uses info from the compass and barometer to help maintain stability, including altitude, but it doesn't hold position.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl