Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

newbie question regarding range and line-of-sight

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by canadavenyc, Apr 27, 2014.

1. canadavenyc

Hi, I know this is probably an ignorant question, but the answer is of no small importance to me, since I'll be flying mostly in wooded areas where I may not have a good line-of-sight view of the aircraft, or that LOS view may be through trees. How much does not being in "direct line of sight" influence range and controllability of a Phantom 2? Does the range shrink the more "stuff" is between my transmitter and the aircraft?

2. Almmohd

I'm a noob at this too but what I've seen is that if my phantom is way out there (>800 m, that's way out there for me :D) and I rotate it my video breaks up and sometimes the screen goes blue ... And my heart skips a few beats.

Then too if it's out like 100m and there's like a bunch of trees between me and it the the picture breaks up and it's noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. IrishSights

You really need LOS to have full control. The more there is between you and the P2 the higher the risk of loosing control. If it goes into failsafe due to loss of connection between you and the aircraft and you are low and there are trees in the way it is looking like a crash in the making. Advice is keep LOS for control.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

4. IrishSights

I think the question was about control and not video loss, but same principal applies. If you are depending on FPV and not have LOS then loss off signal could also lead a potential crash. These are expensive craft (at least on my income) so its worth playing safe and also flying according to the aviation laws of where you live, if you have any that is! I do have. IMO

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

5. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Obstructions like trees will have a big impact on range. The closer the trees in front of you are, the higher you need to fly to maintain clear line of sight. And unless the trees are short, make sure you keep your Phantom at a height taller than the tallest tree between you and it in case F/S kicks in.

6. canadavenyc

Thanks everyone. Just to clarify, though, if my P2 is obstructed by trees, and I can't see it, does that automatically mean it's going to go to failsafe mode, or does it just lessen the range?

7. IrishSights

Depending on the density of trees, but the risk is significant.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk