newbie question regarding range and line-of-sight

Reaction score
Hi, I know this is probably an ignorant question, but the answer is of no small importance to me, since I'll be flying mostly in wooded areas where I may not have a good line-of-sight view of the aircraft, or that LOS view may be through trees. How much does not being in "direct line of sight" influence range and controllability of a Phantom 2? Does the range shrink the more "stuff" is between my transmitter and the aircraft?

I'm a noob at this too but what I've seen is that if my phantom is way out there (>800 m, that's way out there for me :D) and I rotate it my video breaks up and sometimes the screen goes blue ... And my heart skips a few beats.

Then too if it's out like 100m and there's like a bunch of trees between me and it the the picture breaks up and it's noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You really need LOS to have full control. The more there is between you and the P2 the higher the risk of loosing control. If it goes into failsafe due to loss of connection between you and the aircraft and you are low and there are trees in the way it is looking like a crash in the making. Advice is keep LOS for control.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Almmohd said:
I'm a noob at this too but what I've seen is that if my phantom is way out there (>800 m, that's way out there for me :D) and I rotate it my video breaks up and sometimes the screen goes blue ... And my heart skips a few beats.

Then too if it's out like 100m and there's like a bunch of trees between me and it the the picture breaks up and it's noisy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the question was about control and not video loss, but same principal applies. If you are depending on FPV and not have LOS then loss off signal could also lead a potential crash. These are expensive craft (at least on my income) so its worth playing safe and also flying according to the aviation laws of where you live, if you have any that is! I do have. IMO

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Obstructions like trees will have a big impact on range. The closer the trees in front of you are, the higher you need to fly to maintain clear line of sight. And unless the trees are short, make sure you keep your Phantom at a height taller than the tallest tree between you and it in case F/S kicks in.

Thanks everyone. Just to clarify, though, if my P2 is obstructed by trees, and I can't see it, does that automatically mean it's going to go to failsafe mode, or does it just lessen the range?

Depending on the density of trees, but the risk is significant.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I do fly out of line of sight. But I go slow and watch all my controls.Keep it high and take
your time and you should not have any problems.

I do fly out of line of sight. But I go slow and watch all my controls.Keep it high and take
your time and you should not have any problems.

You know that is good advice for someone just learning but your advice went on deaf ears as this thread is almost 3 years old. Secondly you live in the states and you registered with the FAA you signed the registration certificate and the wording was visual line of sight not line of sight. The meaning of VLOS you have to see your craft at all times with your eyes or with the aid of eye glasses and not monitor screen.

You know that is good advice for someone just learning but your advice went on deaf ears as this thread is almost 3 years old. Secondly you live in the states and you registered with the FAA you signed the registration certificate and the wording was visual line of sight not line of sight. The meaning of VLOS you have to see your craft at all times with your eyes or with the aid of eye glasses and not monitor screen.
There is no reason to offend him,furthermore he didn't said something wrong...Being polite is important.

Reactions: Chris42
There is no reason to offend him,furthermore he didn't said something wrong...Being polite is important.

That's your opinion and I have my own. I stated the rules that pertain to us here in the states but of course most here make their own rules and could care less what the FAA or the government have to say. Most of those same rules are almost the same throughout Western Europe. So I guess you're one of those who fly by your own rules.

I always follow the rules just like Ed above who make the mistake to post here.Have a nice day.

I always follow the rules just like Ed above who make the mistake to post here.Have a nice day.

Just to make a clear point when Ed stated he does fly beyond line of sight he did violate CAA rule regarding flying within 500m (visual line of sight). More then likely you think that's cool.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4