Newbie Question Regarding GPS

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the UK and have just purchased the Phantom 3 Advanced and an iPad 4 Mini (Wifi and Cellular Version), these should be getting delivered over the next day or so.. (cant wait) ;)
My question being, do i require a mobile phone sim card with data to use in the ipad so that GPS will work with the Phantom, i have googled this a few times, but do not have a definitive answer, was wondering if any good people here could help please..?

Much Appreciated..

No. The GPS receiver will work even when the cellular service has not been activated.

Your mobile GPS will work even without having a SIM card. In case you need site maps, you will have to cache at home with wifi or insert a sim for short duration at site.

I normally keep my iPad mini in airplane mode during my flights.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your answers, so i would presume it would not do any harm in getting a sim with data on it and using it in the ipad, especially to grab maps whilst onsite, as i live in Scotland there are some awsome places to go "flying" for aerial views etc..

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your answers, so i would presume it would not do any harm in getting a sim with data on it and using it in the ipad, especially to grab maps whilst onsite, as i live in Scotland there are some awsome places to go "flying" for aerial views etc..
No, it wouldn't do any harm. Also, you could always tether from your phone (if you have that ability) to get maps.
This single post will give you more info.
Tablets and phones that work well with DJI GO

Reactions: JoBe
Hi Oso, thank you for the link, was very helpfull, think I'll go with the:

Cellular iPad (with data plan)
* Can fly your Phantom
* Can access new maps in the field if desired
* Can use Follow Me
* Can use Waypoints
* Can use LIVE STREAMING
* Dynamic Home Point
> Can manually change home point to Phantom location.
> Can manually change home point to RC location.

As data only sims here in the UK are pretty cheap for a monthly fee, well worth it, thanks guys.. :)

Hi Oso, thank you for the link, was very helpfull, think I'll go with the:

Cellular iPad (with data plan)
* Can fly your Phantom
* Can access new maps in the field if desired
* Can use Follow Me
* Can use Waypoints
* Can use LIVE STREAMING
* Dynamic Home Point
> Can manually change home point to Phantom location.
> Can manually change home point to RC location.

As data only sims here in the UK are pretty cheap for a monthly fee, well worth it, thanks guys.. :)
You're welcome. Happy flying!

Reactions: JoBe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20