Newbie question RE Phantom 2 Vision Plus Versions

DAP

Reaction score
Hi, I'm researching which Phantom is right for me and something caught my eye while watching YouTube quick start video:

The video references a Phantom 2 Vision Plus "V3" and an OLD Phantom. I thought the Phantom 2 Vision Plus was the newest version. What is the V3? Is Are there different "versions" of the Phantom 2 Vision Plus? If so, how do you know which version is which? Is it an hardware or firmware difference?

Thanks for you help in advance!! Dave

Yes it is a bit confusing. One could argue it's even a bit misleading of DJI to quietly upgrade a product and act like they (all 3 versions) are the same. Having said that, the differences between version 1, 2 and 3 are incremental improvements, not major upgrades.

For example, the Version 3 has extra shielding for the GPS module. This results in better and more consistent satellite lock, which in turn means the Phantom holds it's position better (not as much drift). The Version 3 also has more plastic around the compass. It has slightly upgraded motors with a little plastic piece that prevents a situation where people ruined their motors when taking the prop guards off (by inserting the wrong screws).

Other folks on this board may disagree, but I find the improvements to be very slight. In fact I'm not sure i can tell the difference at all. If anything, I suspect my Version 3 has slightly less flight time.

If you have a choice, go for the version 3, but if you have a version 2, I wouldn't obsess over it.

Hope that helps.

Here is the v3 info from the DJI website. While I agree that the naming by DJI leaves room for improvement I think this upgrade is pretty major including the camera tilt wheel, recharable remote and significantly more powerful motors ( I think 25%).

The new Phantom 2 Vision+ have been released. What's new:

New Remote Controller
The upgraded remote controller comes with many new features. A gimbal control dial, trainer port, built-in rechargeable LiPo battery, battery level LED indicators and throttle locking feature are all included.

Improved Power
New motors, propellers, and ESCs combine to give you greater thrust and control than ever before. You can load more equipment on your Phantom, and achieve up to 200g/arm of extra thrust when using a 3S LiPo battery.

New Compass
A new, anti-static compass has been developed, with a protective shell to help shield it in any flight conditions.

So, maybe another silly question.

I have the opportunity to buy a NIB from someone needing a little Christmas cash and nowhere on the box does it indicate if it is version 1, 2 or 3? Can anyone tell me what to look for either on the box, the phantom or S/N to tell me what it is? Again, much thanks.

The most conspicuous difference is the thumbwheel on the corner of the new controller.
You could also look for the plastic compass on one of the legs.
Pictures here ... http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vi ... us/feature
But it doesn't matter much which you get - they are both good.
The new one does nothing faster or better - it's like getting last year.s model Ford or this year's - very minor changes that do little you would notice.

Meta4 said:
The most conspicuous difference is the thumbwheel on the corner of the new controller.
You could also look for the plastic compass on one of the legs.
Pictures here ... http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vi ... us/feature
But it doesn't matter much which you get - they are both good.
The new one does nothing faster or better - it's like getting last year.s model Ford or this year's - very minor changes that do little you would notice.
RIGHT..and other differences...bigger motors, better props, better GPS shielding...no contest..GET THE PTV+ VERSION 3

DAP said:
You are welcome And as you read thru the various posts, you will see much less problems with the '3" DJI MAY have done other updates that we cannot see. The shielding of the GPS cable and the shielding inside the top of the dome is worth what you might have to pay a bit extra for bit it is WAYYYYY worth it!

Of course! The gimbal tilt wheel! I forgot completely about that... mainly because I replaced my stock RC with the new tilt wheel controller. The original is gathering dust on a shelf.

Nonetheless, I still maintain that in the real world, despite the more powerful motors, the better shielding for GPS, and all the improvements, the Version 2 and 3 fly and feel the same.

DAP said:
So, maybe another silly question.

I have the opportunity to buy a NIB from someone needing a little Christmas cash and nowhere on the box does it indicate if it is version 1, 2 or 3? Can anyone tell me what to look for either on the box, the phantom or S/N to tell me what it is? Again, much thanks.

And to answer this question, I THINK on the outside of the box on the DJI label where the serial number is it says something like 'V3"...I think, don't have my box handy to confirm. But you now have been given opinions that although there have been significant changes made..."they fly the same"...according to one op...well I don't think so. In any event if you go to the various retailers that advertise on this site, they state, very clearly what version of the phantom they are selling and their prices reflect that. Me personally, I would pay the extra $ and but the latest version. Period.

Ok, let me clarify a bit. Given a choice, buy the version 3. No question. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that if someone reading this got a version 2 for Christmas, don't sweat it. It's basically the same. I don't think anyone, even the most experienced here, could tell the difference if you just handed them the controller durring flight. Most importantly (to me) the camera is the same.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl