Newbie question: Can I shut down motors by descending too fast?

Reaction score
If I hold down the left stick to descend quickly, can that accidentally turn off the motors of the Phantom 4 Pro in mid flight? My descents take a long time because I worry about that. Thanks.

No. The motors will not stop until the Phantom stops descending.

And holding the left stick all the way back won't cause your bird to defend too fast. Its internally limited to a max descend speed of, I believe, 3 m/sec.

If I hold down the left stick to descend quickly, can that accidentally turn off the motors of the Phantom 4 Pro in mid flight? My descents take a long time because I worry about that. Thanks.
If you are worried about VRS or prop wash when you are descending then do figure 8's or wide circles when you are descending and not straight down in place. Even flying forward while descending then backwards or whatever, just not straight down in place or just take it easy as you say. If it ever starts wobbling or acting up when going down then hit the stick forward to get it out of it's own prop wash.

I'm interested to to know what FAA Emergincy landing is being referenced?

I wouldnt trust throtle left stick down hard in cause it does shut off but i know mid flight is left down hard and right stick to 3or 4 o clock position
I'm interested to to know what FAA Emergincy landing is being referenced?

Sorry if wordin not right ,,was just pointing out i dont trust coming down rapid decent incase i have siily shut down 4 some reason ,,ive nearly shut down by mistake doin down hard on throttle and movin right stick on angle which is how u shut down mid flight to lessen damage from crash etc,,,,hope i wrote that right

Huh? :)

Your fine. I always put left stick Down full throttle and also right stick all the way up so it comes down fast while moving forward. No issues at all

Reactions: Erised
was just pointing out i dont trust coming down rapid decent incase i have siily shut down 4 some reason ,,ive nearly shut down by mistake doin down hard on throttle and movin right stick on angle which is how u shut down mid flight to lessen damage from crash etc,,,,hope i wrote that right
DJI designers who are smart enough to design the P3 are smart enough that they would not have it crash when you descend.
The manual doesn't suggest anything like that. Here's what it does say:
i-QPpfzMV-XL.jpg

If you are high enough you can hold the left stick hard down for as long as you like and it still won't stop the motors until you have landed.
That's what the manual says and that's the way it works.
Hundreds of pilots have tested and confirmed this.
You can descend left stick full down and it WILL NOT stop the motors in flight.

Since hearing CSC on a P3 could tip over P3 and having problems getting it to work anyway, I always stop by left stick down after landing until it stops. Works every time, no issues.
Granted I don't tend to decend full throttle, only after having landed but that's only preference in decent speed and not fear of shutdown.

Reactions: jwmcgrath
What FAA emergency landing guidelines??

The one they used on 9/11 forcing planes to spiral in and get on the ground.
Cousin was in a plane over nyc when the order came, pilot told him he had never done it except in a simulator.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj