Newbie Phantom 4 or Phantom 3 advanced?

Watch Eric Cheng(Former top official at DJI) interview and draw your own conclusion.

I happen to find it interesting what he said at
23:50 . Sport mode is fun .

Last edited:
I too am trying to figure out if my first significant drone should be a P3P or a P4. In regards to the P4, I'm concerned about the 2 issues many are talking about in these forums and that is range and battery expectations.
It sounds like the P3P has nice range exceeding those at present time of the P4. The battery power for both appear to be close. Of course it's realized there are variables involved such as wind, interference, etc. that vary results. Having said all this, are these similar issues initially experienced when the P3 series came out? Were they eventually improved over time with firmware updates? And, is the so called belief that the present P4 battery and range issues can (or will) be resolved with future firmware updates? If these present issues with the P4 are those that have been dealt with and resolved before with previous models then I'd feel more comfortable with a P4 purchase. If this is uncharted waters, then maybe the way to go for me is the proven P3 series. I want to enjoy the latest version but, hate to buy it and find out the present issues are unlikely to ever be resolved.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I too am trying to figure out if my first significant drone should be a P3P or a P4. In regards to the P4, I'm concerned about the 2 issues many are talking about in these forums and that is range and battery expectations.
It sounds like the P3P has nice range exceeding those at present time of the P4. The battery power for both appear to be close. Of course it's realized there are variables involved such as wind, interference, etc. that vary results. Having said all this, are these similar issues initially experienced when the P3 series came out? Were they eventually improved over time with firmware updates? And, is the so called belief that the present P4 battery and range issues can (or will) be resolved with future firmware updates? If these present issues with the P4 are those that have been dealt with and resolved before with previous models then I'd feel more comfortable with a P4 purchase. If this is uncharted waters, then maybe the way to go for me is the proven P3 series. I want to enjoy the latest version but, hate to buy it and find out the present issues are unlikely to ever be resolved.

The range and battery issues were proven to not be so true, the range is still pretty good(even if little less then the p3) and the battery life is about 2 minutes more then the phantom 3.

Reactions: jogforfitness
Even still, were these the same type issues that came up when the P3 series came out and, were they improved upon?

It's really difficult to cost justify spending almost $600 more for a P4 when advertised range should be greater than the P3 but, yet presently is not. This is the tug of war that's going on in my head towards purchasing a much cheaper P3 or a much more expensive P4. To me, range is important.

A new P3A/P3P versus a P4, both will have about the same range. Just make sure you have the Go App set for 4mbps transmission quality, this will increase range 3X versus the default setting of 10mbps. You read about this "range issue" mainly because older P3P and P3As do have better range. That's because the transmit power from the craft to ground, and RC to craft was about 25% higher. You won't be getting any different range when comparing a new P3P/P3A and P4. For a beginner, I recommend P3A, it's got a bargain price, records 1080 video (that's astonishingly clear), and you risk much less loss while learning to fly. Most computers struggle with 4K video, not worth the hassle. After a year flying P3A, then you can consider something better if you can afford it, such as a P5 when released next year. By that time you'll know how committed you are to this hobby, if you have the skill set to afford it, and is spending another 1400-1600 worth the enjoyment you get, versus continuing to fly the P3A, which is a darn good machine. As for battery, P4 gives you about 3-4 minutes more flight time than P3A/P3P, assuming similar flight speeds (16-17min versus 20-21min). Believe me, 16min is a long time to fly for beginners. Just buy 2 or 3 extra batteries and you're good. My recommendation to increase range distance for beginners, fly a couple months and get use to the bird first, there's a lot to learn. Then if you dare, slip on a windsurfer reflector over the antennas to double the distance range. 3D printed windsurfers are $25, and they don't void the warranty of the RC like other antenna mods. Keep in mind it takes diligence to always point these parabolic antenna reflectors at the bird during flight, unless you're less than 200' away, which is close facing any direction.

Don't buy P3S, it doesn't have Lightbridge. That's the primary reason everyone buys DJI drones. LIGHTBRIDGE ROCKS!

Last edited:
Thank you John for taking time to provide thoughtful/meaningful advice. The prices on the P3P are dropping daily on Amazon and feel like quite a bargain. It's always nice to own the latest of anything. The new features on the P4 appear interesting and fun leading to my temptation. But, your advice is well taken.... Try a less expensive model with a solid track record and play for a while. Afterwords, if the interest still exists after X amount of time then upgrade. Thanks again.

Thank you John for taking time to provide thoughtful/meaningful advice. The prices on the P3P are dropping daily on Amazon and feel like quite a bargain. It's always nice to own the latest of anything. The new features on the P4 appear interesting and fun leading to my temptation. But, your advice is well taken.... Try a less expensive model with a solid track record and play for a while. Afterwords, if the interest still exists after X amount of time then upgrade. Thanks again.

I started with a cheap drone and then went to the P2V+. It was so much easier to fly than the cheap drone. I have a P4 but haven't had a chance to fly it yet. Personally if I had it to do over I would've started with the Phantom.

Mark

If this will be your first ever drone as you have never flown one in the past, then neither.

Get a cheap manual learner drone e.g. Syma X5C-1 and learn to fly it in full manual mode first. Once you get a hang of it (and most likely crashed it a number of times) over a few months, then you can decide which Phantom next.
Good advice!

Syma's x5c is an excellent drone for the (approx.) $50 price. It looks like a Phantom and you will have lots of fun with it while preparing yourself to more competently fly a Phantom.

Competently flying any quad calls for developing certain instinctual reflexes and there is no better way to do that than with the x5c. You'll be glad you followed Noodle's advice.

Selling point for me was the redundant imu/gps on the p4. Fly aways suck and hopefull the dual IMU'S and GPS help out. Bigger motors and a heavier airframe is a plus for me. Im a photographer and dont care about distance or even battery life, but stability is what I want. I Buy at least 5 to 7 batteries when I purchase a ship. Usually just fly to 30% battery. Draining the batts beyond 20 % is really hard on a lipo.

Selling point for me was the redundant imu/gps on the p4. Fly aways suck and hopefull the dual IMU'S and GPS help out. Bigger motors and a heavier airframe is a plus for me. Im a photographer and dont care about distance or even battery life, but stability is what I want. I Buy at least 5 to 7 batteries when I purchase a ship. Usually just fly to 30% battery. Draining the batts beyond 20 % is really hard on a lipo.
Gregg, you're implying P3P/P3A with one IMU and one Compass has a fly away issue. That is absolutely false. A cynic would say that having two IMU's and two Compasses in the P4 would multiply the chance of failure 4X. How does the craft know which one is correct? Can it really choose one over the other? If one fails and it takes an average of both sensors, is that accurate? Just some food for thought.

I love my P4, don't get me wrong, but my P3P rocks also.

Reactions: maseman88
Hi Troyboy . I am from uk, in Essex. I found a company online called Phantom flight school. There head office is in Chester but they have places nearer. I have a lesson with them for an hour which is £100.
They will have the Phantom 3s and 4 with them and they said exactly what you did. To try both out in that hour and see which one I'm more comfortable with.
If I do find that I'm completely confident with the 3p then I would probably go with that.
My only worry is me being a complete novice I would hate to lose or crash it.
I think especially with the point and go option what ever it's called where you touch the screen and it will fly there will give me the confidence to fly it further so I don't have to be in complete control, then as time goes and I get more confident and better I'll then start flying more myself, without using that option so much.
The reason I want one is I had a car crash a couple years ago and now am unable to work, so think this is the ideal thing for me to get me out of the house, then to edit my footage when home. Am learning how to use the iMovie app at the moment so can edit and hopefully get some good footage. I have an iMac now so have been told iMovie is the best one to use.
Thank you Troyboy for all your advice and everyone else. It's greatly appreciated.
Hopefully next Wednesday I'll have my new Phantom. And I can't wait :)

Reactions: Troyboy
A new P3A/P3P versus a P4, both will have about the same range. Just make sure you have the Go App set for 4mbps transmission quality, this will increase range 3X versus the default setting of 10mbps. You read about this "range issue" mainly because older P3P and P3As do have better range. That's because the transmit power from the craft to ground, and RC to craft was about 25% higher. You won't be getting any different range when comparing a new P3P/P3A and P4. For a beginner, I recommend P3A, it's got a bargain price, records 1080 video (that's astonishingly clear), and you risk much less loss while learning to fly. Most computers struggle with 4K video, not worth the hassle. After a year flying P3A, then you can consider something better if you can afford it, such as a P5 when released next year. By that time you'll know how committed you are to this hobby, if you have the skill set to afford it, and is spending another 1400-1600 worth the enjoyment you get, versus continuing to fly the P3A, which is a darn good machine. As for battery, P4 gives you about 3-4 minutes more flight time than P3A/P3P, assuming similar flight speeds (16-17min versus 20-21min). Believe me, 16min is a long time to fly for beginners. Just buy 2 or 3 extra batteries and you're good. My recommendation to increase range distance for beginners, fly a couple months and get use to the bird first, there's a lot to learn. Then if you dare, slip on a windsurfer reflector over the antennas to double the distance range. 3D printed windsurfers are $25, and they don't void the warranty of the RC like other antenna mods. Keep in mind it takes diligence to always point these parabolic antenna reflectors at the bird during flight, unless you're less than 200' away, which is close facing any direction.

Don't buy P3S, it doesn't have Lightbridge. That's the primary reason everyone buys DJI drones. LIGHTBRIDGE ROCKS!

John, Just curious. Is it known as to why did DJI reduced the range/RC power in the newer P3P/P3A?

Hi Troyboy . I am from uk, in Essex. I found a company online called Phantom flight school. There head office is in Chester but they have places nearer. I have a lesson with them for an hour which is £100.
They will have the Phantom 3s and 4 with them and they said exactly what you did. To try both out in that hour and see which one I'm more comfortable with.
If I do find that I'm completely confident with the 3p then I would probably go with that.
I think especially with the point and go option what ever it's called where you touch the screen and it will fly there will give me the confidence to fly it further so I don't have to be in complete control, then as time goes and I get more confident and better I'll then start flying more myself, without using that option so much.
The reason I want one is I had a car crash a couple years ago and now am unable to work, so think this is the ideal thing for me to get me out of the house, then to edit my footage when home. Am learning how to use the iMovie app at the moment so can edit and hopefully get some good footage. I have an iMac now so have been told iMovie is the best one to use.
Thank you Troyboy for all your advice and everyone else. It's greatly appreciated.

Hi bklmonty,
From the UK in hull if you know we're that is lol (Humber bridge? )Anyway sounds a good idea about the flying lessons with the phantoms. You will get to try and see if you like them and feel comfortable flying them and also expertise in the hobby.
Sorry to hear about the accident few year's ago, flying drones will get you out more and filming great landscapes, and meeting people all so interested in this hobby.
Good luck with the lesson and look forward to seeing your first videos uploaded.
Let's us all know how you got on with the lesson and which phantom you choosed. Safe flying:)

I have both. You can't go wrong with either one. The phantom 3 advanced is obviously the better value. I will warn you if you plan on adding the hdmi module and getting dedicated fpv goggles like the head play you are better off spending a little more money for the phantom 3 pro with lightbridge or the p4. The video output on the hdmi out is limited to 2 Mbps on the advanced and the fpv view is not as clear as the p3 pro or p4.

There have also been a good number of reports that the P4 has random altitude drops between 5-15 feet. This could be a real issue for a new flyer. But hopefully something they fix with firmware updates

How could your CX-20 fly away? All you have to do is toggle 0-0 and u be in full command?!
Crash yes! But fly away?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Stupidity and inexperience are probably the best answers.

It was my first drone flight of any altitude. I had trouble getting it under control. Then I figured that I could rely on RTL to bring it back. When that failed, I'd lost orientation. I kept hoping that RTL would kick in and bring it back. I figured that was better than crashing it, or taking it further away.

No excuses.

That's why I recommend starting with a small, cheap drone without all the complex tech to learn and understand.

$730 for P3A from a "licensed dealer" vs $1,400 for the P4.

That's 2x P3A for the price of a P4.

You tell me... if you're a beginner, do you buy a BMW M3 first? Or go straight for the Ferrari?

Personally, I'd say a P3A + Batteries + Case + Accessories is worth more than a P4 all by itself... but that's just me.

Hi bklmonty, how did you get on with the lessons? Did you manage to fly the phantoms? And if so which one did you like? Phantom 3 or phantom 4?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl