Newbie Phantom 3 camera question

Reaction score
Hello, I'm in the market to buy a Phantom 3 soon. I mostly just want it for aerial photography for now since thats my profession. I'm still deciding on getting the Phantom 3 Standon or Phantom 3 Advance.
Are the camera still images the same between the 2 models? When I look at the specs, its says the Standard has a DNG Format. The Advance lists its camera as a DNG RAW. I'm just wondering if the quality is that much of a difference or similar? If anyone could let me know, that would be great. thanks

S & A have same camera, except Adv has screw-on filter capability, and the microSD goes into the gimbal instead of camera. Otherwise, cameras between the two are the same.
Some other differences include controller, Vision Positioning System, and Lightbridge transmission (increased range). There are tons of threads comparing the Phantom lineup!

S & A have same camera, except Adv has screw-on filter capability, and the microSD goes into the gimbal instead of camera. Otherwise, cameras between the two are the same.
Some other differences include controller, Vision Positioning System, and Lightbridge transmission (increased range). There are tons of threads comparing the Phantom lineup!

thanks for the quick reply. I'll search around more in the forums. Just wanted a basic idea before buying. Right now I need to do an aerial shoot facing straight down over a park. Thats basically it. Cant find any rentals in my area (Philadelphia). Buying just seems like my only option.

Photographer? I would recommend the Advance. More $$$, but the ability to add lens filters is pretty big for
picture quality. I',m almost always flying with an ND Filter on. Not too sure what direction you're going with on an
aerial photography platform, but the added range on the Advance may be beneficial to you as well.
If you're taking pictures close-by, and you're good in post, the Standard should serve you well enough.

Are the camera still images the same between the 2 models?
S & A have same camera, except Adv has screw-on filter capability, and the microSD goes into the gimbal instead of camera. Otherwise, cameras between the two are the same
The cameras for the Advanced and Standard are NOT the same.
Look at the specs on the DJI website and you'll see that they have different sensors.

The biggest difference is that the Standard uses wifi for control and live vision while the Advanced uses Lightbridge.

Photographer? I would recommend the Advance. More $$$, but the ability to add lens filters is pretty big for
picture quality. I',m almost always flying with an ND Filter on. Not too sure what direction you're going with on an
aerial photography platform, but the added range on the Advance may be beneficial to you as well.
If you're taking pictures close-by, and you're good in post, the Standard should serve you well enough.
Yeah thats what I do for a living (23 years). Mostly action photography, primarily in skateboarding. Been into landscape recently and like that the P3 doesn't have the fisheye look.

The cameras for the Advanced and Standard are NOT the same.
Look at the specs on the DJI website and you'll see that they have different sensors.

The biggest difference is that the Standard uses wifi for control and live vision while the Advanced uses Lightbridge.
thank you for that info. I'm just looking for the highest quality picture images the Phantom offers.

The Advanced also uses GLONASS & GPS as the Standard uses just GPS... There's a few differences,
hence the price point. If the OP is just looking to get this one job done, the Standard will probably work for him.

If the OP were going to keep this as a 'tool' for expanding his photography business, the Advanced is better
bang for the buck with greater range, better satellite tracking, Litchi auto piloting, Lens filter ability... yada yada yada...

The Advanced also uses GLONASS & GPS as the Standard uses just GPS... There's a few differences,
hence the price point. If the OP is just looking to get this one job done, the Standard will probably work for him.

If the OP were going to keep this as a 'tool' for expanding his photography business, the Advanced is better
bang for the buck with greater range, better satellite tracking, Litchi auto piloting, Lens filter ability... yada yada yada...
I'm sure I'll be expanding for business in the future. Advance seems like my best option now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31