Newbie old guy here!

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been an r/c pilot since the 70's, I'm getting interested in this drone hobby and the phantom 3 looks like what I want. The problem is I don't use a smart phone so my question is do I have to invest in an Ipad or is there a cheaper way to go? also do you have to have an internet connection for the fpv video feed?
Thanks!

Welcome to Phantom Pilots :)

The problem is I don't use a smart phone so my question is do I have to invest in an Ipad or is there a cheaper way to go? also do you have to have an internet connection for the fpv video feed?
Thanks!
Android devices are less expensive than Apple devices. They can work just as well when configured properly. Check out this list of compatible devices.

lso do you have to have an internet connection for the fpv video feed
Nope. You just have to cache the maps on your mobile device before flying while you do have an Internet connection. That way, the map images will be downloaded and stored offline -- ready for when you're out flying without an Internet connection.

It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum jangles. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s.

You can't go wrong with the Phantom 3 in any of it's three flavors. I'm sure you will enjoy flying them as much as your others.

Hi all,
I've been an r/c pilot since the 70's, I'm getting interested in this drone hobby and the phantom 3 looks like what I want. The problem is I don't use a smart phone so my question is do I have to invest in an Ipad or is there a cheaper way to go? also do you have to have an internet connection for the fpv video feed?
Thanks!
I'm waiting to my nvidia shield , but the nexua 7 works really well and is cheaper

Thanks for all your info. I was looking at the ipad 2 mini.

There are certain features that require your device to have GPS (e.g. Follow Me), so if you are getting an iPad 2 Mini, and you want those features, make sure you get one with "Cellular" (more expensive).

I would go with iPad mini 2. It is light and works perfectly. I also have a android pad that is just as good but it's slightly heavier but feels much heavier when mounted. That is a Nexus 9. Most often I use my phone, a Galaxy Note 4. Ipad mini 2 looks sweet in white but dark is way easier on the eyes. Don't forget a sunshade too.

There are certain features that require your device to have GPS (e.g. Follow Me), so if you are getting an iPad 2 Mini, and you want those features, make sure you get one with "Cellular" (more expensive).
The one I looked at was not a cell phone if that's what you meant, It will go on the internet like a computer but you can't make calls. Will that still work?
Thanks John

The one I looked at was not a cell phone if that's what you meant, It will go on the internet like a computer but you can't make calls. Will that still work?
Thanks John

You will need the one that you can put SIM card in (you don't need to) to have GPS build into the device. Maybe look up "Follow Me" feature. Also there MAY be a few features that required your hand held device to have GPS (like the ability to reset HOME point to your current location where you are standing).

None of these features are "deal breaker" or me. I use a WiFi only iPad Air. Next one I get will have cellular ability so I can take advantage of the GPS. I have an Android phone that I use when I want those features.

You will need the one that you can put SIM card in (you don't need to) to have GPS build into the device. Maybe look up "Follow Me" feature. Also there MAY be a few features that required your hand held device to have GPS (like the ability to reset HOME point to your current location where you are standing).

None of these features are "deal breaker" or me. I use a WiFi only iPad Air. Next one I get will have cellular ability so I can take advantage of the GPS. I have an Android phone that I use when I want those features.

I'm getting more confused, don't get me wrong I've flown every kind of r/c plane over the years, even put my go pro in my big bird but this phone stuff is confusing. I'll have no problem flying a quad if I can just get all the tech stuff figured out, after reading the manual online I had more questions. I looked up Ipad mini 2 on apple web site, when you say cellular do you mean I get the phone and the pay extra for cellular (so in the middle of no where I can get a satellite signal to go online) or no cell plan and just bootleg signal like at coffee shops or something like when I want to go online? Is a cellular plan a full time dedicated connection I pay extra for? I did not see a more expensive model with cellular capability all the ipad mini 2's were the same cept for color. By the way I've been online since 1996 but never messed with a smart phone.

I'm getting more confused, don't get me wrong I've flown every kind of r/c plane over the years, even put my go pro in my big bird but this phone stuff is confusing. I'll have no problem flying a quad if I can just get all the tech stuff figured out, after reading the manual online I had more questions. I looked up Ipad mini 2 on apple web site, when you say cellular do you mean I get the phone and the pay extra for cellular (so in the middle of no where I can get a satellite signal to go online) or no cell plan and just bootleg signal like at coffee shops or something like when I want to go online? Is a cellular plan a full time dedicated connection I pay extra for? I did not see a more expensive model with cellular capability all the ipad mini 2's were the same cept for color. By the way I've been online since 1996 but never messed with a smart phone.

Hmm.. sorry to make you more confused.

Forget "cell phone" all together. Erase that from this conversation.

The DJI Phantom 3 has the capability to use GPS in multiple ways.

The drone itself has a GPS build in.
It can ALSO receive GPS coordinate from your device (android or iOS).

You CAN fly WITHOUT any of the android or iOS or any other tablet or handheld device.

The iOS and Android devices can run applications (i.e. DJI Go, Lichi, Autopilot, etc) that gives you ADDITIONAL functions and features such as taking photos, taking videos, flying waypoints, flying certain patterns, set settings for your drones and cameras in general.

SOME of these features provided by the application (DJI Go, Lichi, etc) that runs on your iOS or Android can upload the GPS location of your iOS or Android devices (assuming your iOS or Android devices has GPS build in). There's the GPS unit on the drone itself, and there's the GPS (if you have it) on your device.

All modern phone have GPS build in.

WiFi ONLY version of iPad (mini/air/etc) DO NOT have GPS build in, and therefore can not provide accurate location of where the device (NOT the DRONE) is located.

Cellular version of iPad (mini/air/etc) HAS GPS build in and therefore CAN provide accurate GPS location of where the device is located (NOT the DRONE location. The drone has a build in GPS and therefore is aware of its own location at all times provided it has good GPS lock)

Hope this is more clear.

Let me give you an example that is easier to understand.

Let's say you are flying. Your drone records the location it takes off from because it has a GPS antenna / unit and has a good GPS lock. So it has the GPS coordinate of where it life off from.

And let's say while you are flying, you move/walk away from where you took off from a couple of hundred feet because suddenly there were bunch of people there or car, so you moved to a new location while you are flying your drone.

If and when RTH (Return To Home, this is where the drone automatically fly back to where it took off from. A safety feature if you lose communication with the drone or when the battery gets too low, it knows to automatically return home to avoid crashing in middle of no where due to running out of battery) feature is trigger, do you want the drone

a) to return to where it took off from where now there are a bunch of people or car there?

or

b) to return to your new location where you are away from people and car and in a much safer location to "return to"?

If your answer is "B", the question is, HOW does your drone know where your new location is? How do you communicate your new GPS location to your drone so it knows where location "B" is?

The answer is: Your device (iOS or Android) will tell your drone where your new GPS location is (presumably your device is with your person and is at where you are standing). That is, if your device HAS a GPS antenna/unit/circuitry build in. If not, your device won't have the GPS location, and therefore won't have the GPS coordinate and therefore won't be able to rely GPS coordinate to your drone.

Hope this example makes it clear.

I should have said, if you are getting an iPad and you want leverage features that requires your iOS device to have a GPS, then you'll want to make sure your iOS device has a GPS antenna/unit.

How do you make sure your iOS device has a GPS antenna/unit? The answer is "get the cellular version of the iPad" (you DO NOT NEED TO activate the cell plan. The cellular version has the GPS unit builded into its cellular circuitry.

Last edited:
I'm getting more confused
I know what you mean ... I am too reading some of those.

I'll try for a simplified version for you.
The Phantom has a fine GPS unit itself and flies perfectly well with it.
You need a tablet (or at a pinch, a phone) to use the app.
That's the short version.

A little more detail ..
If your tablet has its own GPS you can use the follow me feature and you can reset your home point to the current location of the tablet (used if you were moving some distance - like on a boat or car)

Almost all Android tablets have GPS but if you go with Apple they only give you GPS in the cellular capable versions that cost more.

You don't need a sim card or cell service at all to fly.
You can do almost everything except the two cases above without a GPS enabled tablet.

OK I'm getting it, sorry for my ignorance. So in essence I thought about that RTH situation you mentioned and having to change locations, I figured when it came back in range I could just take back the controls and bring it over to me. Apples website did not show a cellular version of the ipad mini 2 I thought maybe it was a download app but guess not.

OK I'm getting it, sorry for my ignorance. So in essence I thought about that RTH situation you mentioned and having to change locations, I figured when it came back in range I could just take back the controls and bring it over to me. Apples website did not show a cellular version of the ipad mini 2 I thought maybe it was a download app but guess not.
Yes you can. Thats why I said not a deal breaker. My ipad air does not have it and I dont miss it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj