Newbie needs help with buying setup

Reaction score
Hi all.

I would like to purchase a Phantom 2 but believe that I would have to make some alterations for it to suit my needs. I've become overwhelmed by the different moderation choices one can make and it has all become confusing. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I would like to purchase a Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse gimble already installed. This seems straight forward enough. To go with this I will purchase a Gopro black.

Question 1: I would like to be able to view the video from the gopro live via an iPhone and a fatshark system (not at the same time).
I've read about 'lag' when viewing live video from a gopro and that that range is an issue. I think that these problems are due to using the gopro's wifi? Obviously you can't control or maneuver a quadcopter safely if your video feed has a lag and your Phantom 2 is not in line of site. Are these problems overcome by changing antennas? Do you recommend having a dedicated camera just for maneuvering the Phantom 2? I would prefer to just use the Gopro for my video link.

Question 2: I would like to have a range of a 1000 meters or so. I'm confused as to what I need to accomplish this. I understand that I would need to change the radio in the Phantom 2 to one that has a longer range. Does this also mean that I would need to have another remote control other than the stock one? Does having a higher power radio significantly affect the Phantom 2's battery?

Question 3: I am not a soldiering kind of tinkerer. If no other choice was available I could do it but would rather have this system preinstalled as much to my needs as possible. I've seen various 'kits' out there but perhaps do to my lack of knowledge and understanding I've not seen a kit that fits my needs.

So to recap this is what i want.
1) Phantom 2 with H3 2D gimble
2) Gopro black as main video feed
3) Ability to use a fatshark fpv & iPhone in realtime with no lag.
4) 1000 meter range & ability to control Phantom 2 without seeing it. Also trees may be between my and the Phantom. Is that a consideration when choosing an upgraded radio?

What do I need to purchase to make this all happen? What drawbacks are there to this setup? Are there any companies that do custom upgrades for reasonable prices? What recommendations or thoughts do you have?

I really appreciate any advice you all may have. Thanks.

Hi there. So its easier to answer your questions. Can you give your location in the world and a little context as to your intended use of the phantom. i.e. commercial or pleasure.

Most of what you want is possible, except for the goal of viewing the live vid feed on a fatshark system and on an iphone. The only way to get the video feed on an iphone is to use the proprietary setup in the Vision. If you're using a regular P2, you'll have to use an FPV transmitter (like the one that comes with the fatshark) to view the video feed from the gopro (on the fatshark goggles or a monitor, or both).

The gopro camera does have it's own wifi video transmission built in, but the range is very limited, there's lots of lag, and you'll likely lose or at least crash the Phantom due to the interference it causes to the flight control radio.

When looking at FPV systems, you'll want to avoid the popular 5.8GHz systems, those are most susceptible to anything (trees, buildings, very large hats) getting in between the transmitter and receiver. Other bands (i.e. 2.4Ghz) will be less affected by that, but all of them will still lose signal if there's enough clutter in the way.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20