newbie looking for drone advice

Reaction score
Looking to get my first persona drone. Looking at phantom 2 vision+ but unsure of what I should get vs should not get. Stabilizers, batteries, etc.. Anyone have some guidance/tips before I make a purchase?

Thanks.

Just buy the craft from a reputable dealer and get a spare battery. You'll know when it's time to get more stuff. :)

Geo

game_of_drones said:
Should I get the vision+ for an extra 300.00 or just the vision? What's important when looking at specs?

Only buy the V+ if you are 100% certain that you will never crash or have a hard landing. The world is full of P2V+ owners with broken V+ gimbals.

Replacement gimbals are rare and cost $600+. It's a very delicate part that works well until it suffers a bump.

As a dealer told me about repairing my V+ "You are in a tough spot and I see it often."

kjopc said:
game_of_drones said:
Should I get the vision+ for an extra 300.00 or just the vision? What's important when looking at specs?

Only buy the V+ if you are 100% certain that you will never crash or have a hard landing. The world is full of P2V+ owners with broken V+ gimbals.

Replacement gimbals are rare and cost $600+. It's a very delicate part that works well until it suffers a bump.

As a dealer told me about repairing my V+ "You are in a tough spot and I see it often."

Which is the exact reason I bought just the P2V. I've yet to have a hard landing or crash, but just the notion that one could cause so much damage is amazing.

I'll also be looking at making my own multi rotor setup soon. I miss building like I used to help my dad doing when he was big into building RC aircraft.

Lots of pros and cons with both (google it). Can you ever be 100% certain? .. and if that was the case everyone would have a P2V and not the V2+. Don't see it.

I think I've yet to read a story about a damaged gimbal that wasn't the result of pilot error. Trees, buildings or VRS, although VRS might not be considered pilot error I guess.

game_of_drones said:
Looking to get my first persona drone. Looking at phantom 2 vision+ but unsure of what I should get vs should not get. Stabilizers, batteries, etc.. Anyone have some guidance/tips before I make a purchase?

Thanks.
Walkera tali h500. When its available. If you're not a dji fan

Ive only owned a pv2+ and love it. .

Please do not call these quads," DRONES" drones carry weapons , you can get a lot of folks excited when you tell them you just bought a " Drone".

game_of_drones said:

If you are going to take the plunge on a high-end quad, I think you would be sorely disappointed if you chose a Vision instead of a Vision+. The Vision has an unstabilized (actually a single-axis & SLOW stabilizer on tilt axis only) camera and, while the image quality is the same as the Vision+, there is no comparison in the video enjoyability. Go to YouTube and compare video of a stock Vision compared to a Vision+. The Vision video is like watching Blair Witch Project!

The Vision may fare a little better in a crash. If you want to capture video that no one will want to watch and occasionally causes vomiting, get the Vision. If you want nice, stabilized video, that you will be proud to show and people will enjoy viewing, get the Vision+.

Here is a direct comparison of what you can expect with a Vision vs. a Vision+:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBUQrLe94Ms[/youtube]

I'm a newbie in these forums and an newbie to flying these machines in general. Have had no major problems with the vision+ and am extremely happy with it. As a 'newbie', the best advice I ever came across was to start small at the beginning - I bought a Hubsan x4. If you can fly that in a stabilised manner, you can fly the Phantom.

Feel free to crash the Hubsan as you learn, its bulletproof. Crash the Phantom as you learn...

I had absolutely NO experience with anything with a remote control except the television. So, I was going to buy a small drone to practice with but a friend of mine had the Phoenix 5 Simulator system with a very nice JR Controller. In this simulator you can fly all aircraft on the market including the phantom. He told me if you can learn to fly in this simulator then you will be fine. Keep in mind the phantom simulator has NO gps stabilization or auto hover and you are flying in the AITT Mode the entire time so you have to counter every move due to drift and wind conditions. Within one week and probably 40 hours I had a good handle on it and flying by orientation has become second nature. I can now fly the simulator with ease and have now been practicing flying around objects in circles while controlling the yawe in both directions so I will be able to take smooth video. I firmly understand that the control sensitivity difference between the Phantom controller and this high dollar JR controller will be different but I think it made a huge difference being able to learn using a real controller. Please know I will not be flying in ATTI Mode or manual mode ever, I will always be in GPS mode. I have no desire to fly without gps, all my buddies will laugh at me because they fly these big heli's in manual mode and can do things that defy the laws of flight. But, I am the kind of person I don't care what others can do and I know many people are a better pilot than I and that is fine. As long as I am safe, confident in my abilities and having fun that is all I care about. I bought this to take awesome video and photos not to do aerial acrobatics or compete with anyone. All I want to do is have a little fun and get some good pics and videos, I am not out to impress anyone. LOL

Get the vision Plus.The extra bat.is a buy.Get prop guards and a couple of sets of props. Read over manual twice ,go over flight instructions several times.At the start of your flight go strait up to clear everything except tall trees. Keep it in site and them start to move it slowly.Really when going up anything above your head can work very well. Take it slow and easy. Have a great time.
Oh don,t buy direct buy from a good dealer. :) :) :)

BigTulsa said:
kjopc said:
game_of_drones said:

Which is the exact reason I bought just the P2V. I've yet to have a hard landing or crash, but just the notion that one could cause so much damage is amazing.

I'll also be looking at making my own multi rotor setup soon. I miss building like I used to help my dad doing when he was big into building RC aircraft.
Worrying about the crash survivability of the camera is not necessarily the only criteria to determine which of these 2 quads to buy.

Here is another criteria that I believe far more folks consider:

Vision = rock n roll shake shake shake video
Vision+ = silky smooth professional looking video +$300

IMHO the video comparison is so stark that there is no way I'd consider the Vision. The Vision+ is worth every penny of the additional $300.
Yes, this is just one man's personal opinion and experience - your mileage might vary.

smokiespliff said:
As a 'newbie', the best advice I ever came across was to start small at the beginning - I bought a Hubsan x4. If you can fly that in a stabilised manner, you can fly the Phantom.
+1 on the Hubsan. A cheap skill-builder for someone with zero experience in RC aircraft. My big concern was how quickly it could exceed transmitter range.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik