Newbie just about to purchase quesitions

Reaction score
Hi all,
Spent quite a bit of time reading up on drones. After all I have no experience and this will be my first purchase. I've been looking at the Phanton Vision + because I like the look of the gimble allowing for smooth video footage. However I'm wondering if a similar gimble can be attached to this model or others using a gopro which I can then use outside of the phantom?

Also interested to know the 'usual' mods that you do to increase the range etc.

Any info much appreciated.

cheers :)

With the GoPro version, you'll be spending a few hundred more than the V+ to get FPV. I have no idea where you are from, but to give you some idea, here in Australia I spent about $1800 on the V+. I looked at the GoPro version, but if I wanted to see what I was filming (the way you can with the V+), it was going to cost me around $2400 all up.

shabba007 said:
Hi all,
Spent quite a bit of time reading up on drones. After all I have no experience and this will be my first purchase. I've been looking at the Phanton Vision + because I like the look of the gimble allowing for smooth video footage. However I'm wondering if a similar gimble can be attached to this model or others using a gopro which I can then use outside of the phantom?

Also interested to know the 'usual' mods that you do to increase the range etc.

Any info much appreciated.

cheers :)

If you've never flown before... I wouldn't worry too much about mods to increase range... You need to get comfortable eight the quad as it is...which has plenty enough range to make it a small dot in the air.

thanks for the replies. I'm interested in the mods from a research point of view. I like to know that the kit i'm buying has the potential to be modded/upgraded etc. I wouldn't do any moding until I was comfortable flying.

If I purchase the phantom 2 with 2 axis gimble for go pro, would I be disadvantaged in anyway with performance, flight time when compared with the other phantoms ?

shabba007 said:
thanks for the replies. I'm interested in the mods from a research point of view. I like to know that the kit i'm buying has the potential to be modded/upgraded etc. I wouldn't do any moding until I was comfortable flying.

If I purchase the phantom 2 with 2 axis gimble for go pro, would I be disadvantaged in anyway with performance, flight time when compared with the other phantoms ?

The Phantom 2 VISION series are intended to NOT be modded/upgraded. Those cameras don't work or really do you any good off the Phantom. Vision series Phantom 2's are designed to be "unbox and fly" devices for folks that don't have the knowledge or desire to do any tinkering on their Phantoms at all.

If you want to mod / tinker whatever you want the NON-Vision series Phantom 2 with the GoPro gimbal (Zenmuse H3-3D is the current standard model that comes in a bundle). With this platform you must add your own GoPro naturally, but of course unlike the Vision camera the gopro can be used in any application off the Phantom as well... so that's the first half of why we say it's a more powerful platform.
The other half is because if you want live FPV you must now add that system separately but in terms of signal strength and distance it's much better than the Vision. Like someone else said it does wind up being slightly more expensive, but in the end it's a MUCH more powerful platform overall.
in fairness: The one thing the Vision completely has over the non-Vision is the app... the Vision app can start/stop recording in air, take stills, etc. which a non-Vision P2 simply cannot do. you have to set the gopro up before takeoff, hit record, stop it when you land and just edit the footage later.

DJI took the "can't use a Vision camera off the copter" argument into consideration when they designed the Inspire 1, which DOES have a detachable gimbal/camera assembly which you can use independently of the Inspire. Unfortunately it's still not as good as a GoPro though... it does capture 1080p and 4K but not at nearly the framerates of a GoPro.

In terms of performance, a naked Phantom with no gimbal/camera is going to move a bit faster and fly a bit longer than with the gimbal/camera installed purely from a weight perspective. If you're talking about a loaded (with gimbal+camera) Vision vs non-Vision with a H3-3D and gopro, there really isn't a significant performance difference.

If you WANT to mod, tinker, whatever with your Phantom.. go for the Phantom 2 with H3-3D bundle. Head on over to the FPV forum for help with everything you need related to adding FPV to it

QYV, thanks for the detailed reply, just what I needed. Next question... are there any preferred suppliers for buying this bundle ? I'm in the UK, so I guess it will be cheaper for us to buy in the US, providing they ship international.

shabba007 said:
QYV, thanks for the detailed reply, just what I needed. Next question... are there any preferred suppliers for buying this bundle ? I'm in the UK, so I guess it will be cheaper for us to buy in the US, providing they ship international.

not particularly. pricing should be fixed for new devices, meaning you shouldn't find major pricing variation from vendor to vendor, so you can pick it up anywhere but there is a small amount. In the states we recommend B&H Photo since they have excellent customer service if anything goes wrong, but it is a few dollars more and if you're going to ship it to the UK I'm not sure how much you care about that so maybe you just buy off of Amazon since it's a few dollars cheaper.

Just do your math and calculations to determine if it's cheaper in US+shipping or UK direct... in USD, the Pricing for (non-Vision) Phantom 2's is:

Phantom 2 v1 only: 579
Phantom 2 v2 only: 643 (sometimes 679)
Phantom 2 v1 with H3-3D gimbal: 829
Phantom 2 v2 with H3-3D : 924 (sometimes 959)

in case you aren't familiar, the "v2" is the newer model with slightly better motors, and an updated RC with built-in battery and a dial for the gimbal control instead of a little lever

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl