Newbie here with a Phantom 2 & H3-HD

Reaction score
Hi everyone.... Over the holiday weekend, I went from a toy drone to a Phantom 2 with the H3-3D for my GoPro. No FPV at the moment until I get comfortable keeping it all low and close....lol. One thing I've run into is calibrating the gimbal. My GoPro is tilted downward (+/- 30 degree angle) when at 'center' of what the thumbwheel on the left side of my controller comes back to when released. When I move the thumbwheel on the controller, the gimbal does respond accordingly, but returns to the tilted down position when I release it.

From what I can find, I'm using the DJI standard controller. I know I can connect to my PC to check firmware updates, and settings for both the controller and gimbal. But I can't seem to get my PC to see either the controller, nor the drone, when USB'd directly into either one. Is there something I'm missing? It could very easily be operator error from my newbieness.......lol.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this issue?

Hi everyone.... Over the holiday weekend, I went from a toy drone to a Phantom 2 with the H3-3D for my GoPro. No FPV at the moment until I get comfortable keeping it all low and close....lol. One thing I've run into is calibrating the gimbal. My GoPro is tilted downward (+/- 30 degree angle) when at 'center' of what the thumbwheel on the left side of my controller comes back to when released. When I move the thumbwheel on the controller, the gimbal does respond accordingly, but returns to the tilted down position when I release it.

From what I can find, I'm using the DJI standard controller. I know I can connect to my PC to check firmware updates, and settings for both the controller and gimbal. But I can't seem to get my PC to see either the controller, nor the drone, when USB'd directly into either one. Is there something I'm missing? It could very easily be operator error from my newbieness.......lol.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this issue?

You need calibrate the sticks and X1 (is the tilt wheel) in the controller assistant software then do the same thing in the P2 assistant software with the controller powered up

You need calibrate the sticks and X1 (is the tilt wheel) in the controller assistant software then do the same thing in the P2 assistant software with the controller powered up

Hi Jason.... Thanks for your input. I've just gotten home, and will try that in a few.... You mentioned the P2 assistant software. the DJI site only has the PT2 (Phantom Vision) assistant. That's probably my connection issue, isn't it? Googling a result for the P2 assistant now....

Hi Jason.... Thanks for your input. I've just gotten home, and will try that in a few.... You mentioned the P2 assistant software. the DJI site only has the PT2 (Phantom Vision) assistant. That's probably my connection issue, isn't it? Googling a result for the P2 assistant now....

The P2 vision assistant is the same and has nothing to do with you connection. Just make sure to do the controller first then the P2 with controller still powered up. I also suggest that you make no adjustment to the gimbal configuration under the advance tab.

The P2 vision assistant is the same and has nothing to do with you connection. Just make sure to do the controller first then the P2 with controller still powered up. I also suggest that you make no adjustment to the gimbal configuration under the advance tab.

Sounds good. So to establish connection between the controller and P2 assistant (which was my original issue... no connection), the sequence is:
1) power up controller
2) plug USB cable to PC
3) plug into controller USB port
4) start P2 Assistant

Thanks for the heads-up on the gimbal config.

Stand by

And on another note...... It looks like I have the NDJ6 controller, which P2 shows as the upgrade version (still learning all this, so please bear with me.)

Weird..... I've tried that to no avail. Even power cycled the controller numerous times. the P2 software just flat out isn't seeing the controller. Is there a special cable I need? To be honest, I'm using the charging cable from my Galaxy S5. It has the proper ends on it, and is charging the battery on the controller when plugged in...... Don't get it....

And I've tried moving the PC end of the cable to every other USB port on my desktop just in case. No difference. I am running Win 7 Ultimate. The Device Manager sees the DJI controller as 'Other Devices' and has an exclamation point next to it. Going to uninstall P2 and reinstall with the controller on. Don't know if that'll make a difference. We'll see.

My apologies.... Totally operator error. From the DJI P2 files page, I failed to download and install the DJI_Win installer. I'm connected. Thanks for your advise Jason.

My apologies.... Totally operator error. From the DJI P2 files page, I failed to download and install the DJI_Win installer. I'm connected. Thanks for your advise Jason.

Don't feel bad I did the same thing by not downloading the driver when I started 2 1/2 years ago.

Thanks. I hope to pass along the wisdom one day.....lol. So how do you feel about stability of firmware updates? Don't want to update if they are full of bugs.

Controller: 3.08 to 3.14
P330CB: Current
H3-3D IMU: 1.0.0.4 to 1.0.0.12

Thanks. I hope to pass along the wisdom one day.....lol. So how do you feel about stability of firmware updates? Don't want to update if they are full of bugs.

Controller: 3.08 to 3.14
P330CB: Current
H3-3D IMU: 1.0.0.4 to 1.0.0.12

I'm not one to jump into updates still at v3.6 (v3.08). If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The only thing that was updated was the gimbal and the new controller. I own three GoPro a 3+ silver, black and a 4 black. Both blacks have modified lens while the silver has a stock lens as I'm not a big fan of fisheye but will use it if necessary to cover a large area at a low altitude.

Can any one help

i have been looking around trying to answer this question unable to find what I need
I recently was ripped off on buying a used P2, it's mostly my own fault, and should of done a little more research. Can any one tell me if the gimbal will go crazy if it's activated without a camera attached. The P2 I bought was sold to me without a camera and when I tested it the seller said the crazy movement was normal without a camera attached.

Can any one help

i have been looking around trying to answer this question unable to find what I need
I recently was ripped off on buying a used P2, it's mostly my own fault, and should of done a little more research. Can any one tell me if the gimbal will go crazy if it's activated without a camera attached. The P2 I bought was sold to me without a camera and when I tested it the seller said the crazy movement was normal without a camera attached.

The information the seller gave you is absolutely correct. So if you do not have a camera and want to fly you P2 remove the gimbal until such time you have a camera to mount on it.

Thank you so much, that makes me feel a lot better I was sure I just wasted my money

Just tape down the 8 pin gray cable after you remove the gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj