Newbie here - Questions :)

Reaction score
Got my P3P second hand in Hong Kong a week ago, $9500 HK ($1200US, £850) with 4 batteries (all 100% life span!), 2 chargers and a backpack. The seller only used it 7 times since May 2015. Very happy! Since then I have added Polar Pro 3 pack (PL1, ND4, ND8), figure the UK weather don't really justify ND16+.

I am using Nexus 6p as a monitor and hoping to get Nvidia Shield K1 when I get back to the UK next week. My arrogance has prompted me to use large rooftops in the middle of the city for my first couple of flights, I was able to take off and land with ease. But I notice the signal is unstable as there are plenty of interference in one of the most densely populated city on earth. Not knowing anything about hand catch landing and had a small crash during my third flight, 2 propellers hitted the wall near landing spot, P3P turned upside down, luckily I was able to stop it after 5 seconds.

Questions for all you P3P experts -

- I stand at a rooftop, say 100m high, my home point is set and P3P is in the air, lets say it is at 200m high and some distance away. If I lose signal and P3P decides to return home, does it stay at 200m high until it is near me? This is critical as there could be buildings in between that are taller than 100m.

- With hand catch landing, how much does the P3P tilt/ drag for the 3 seconds once you have it in your hand whilst the left stick is down?

- Should I check my motors after that small crash? I have since had 1 hour fly time with another set of propellers without issue.

- My position on the map in app is always about 1-2km away from my real location, what should I calibrate/ adjust?

Many thanks for reading and hopefully you can show me the rope to become a good pilot!

First off WELCOME to PhantomPilots :)
- I stand at a rooftop, say 100m high, my home point is set and P3P is in the air, lets say it is at 200m high and some distance away. If I lose signal and P3P decides to return home, does it stay at 200m high until it is near me? This is critical as there could be buildings in between that are taller than 100m.
You set the Return To Home altitude in the DJI Go Ap. Make sure it's higher than the tallest object around.

- With hand catch landing, how much does the P3P tilt/ drag for the 3 seconds once you have it in your hand whilst the left stick is down?
Very little. Just grab a leg low, hold tightly and kill the throttle.

- Should I check my motors after that small crash? I have since had 1 hour fly time with another set of propellers without issue.
If it's flying good and not making any strange noises etc I would say all should be good. I would imagine any problem would have been apparent by now. Be sure to give a good visual inspection for crap getting into the motor itself.

*Removed faulty comment*

Safe flights :)

Last edited:
You got a decent deal with those extra batteries.

Your home point is the reference point it uses for altitude. At least that has been the case with me.

If the home point is set at 100m AGL (ie your roof), then it will use that as a reference for the RTH altitude. If you set your RTH to be 150m it will actually come home at 250m AGL since it will reference the home point and assume its 0m AGL and add 150m to it for the RTH. Always set your RTH altitude in excess of any surrounding structures so it will clear them on the return flight if needed.

- My position on the map in app is always about 1-2km away from my real location, what should I calibrate/ adjust?
Hobby/Consumer grade GPS isn't that accurate. Sounds to me like it's doing pretty good.

Um....no that is not GOOD. 1-2km is up to 1.2 MILES off. Holy smokes! If it was 1-2 METERS off, yea, then ok. Not 1-2 kilometers!

Um....no that is not GOOD. 1-2km is up to 1.2 MILES off. Holy smokes! If it was 1-2 METERS off, yea, then ok. Not 1-2 kilometers!
Oh crap good catch. I had "meters" on the brain and totally overlooked the KM. Hopefully the OP meant to use M instead of KM.

Thanks for the catch.

Thanks for the speedy relief of my concerns on RTH, hand landing and motors!! I know I had a great deal when I saw his batteries were charged only 7 times during his 1 hour demo :)

I am truely 1-2 km out on the Go app, I flipped back to Google map and my position there is perfect. DJI told me to reinstall the app and IMU calibration. I have yet done IMU as I have not had time to fly since the chat session.

Wait.. you got this bird in HK but you are in UK?

IIRC there is a setting somewhere in GO for adjusting for china maps or something. Being in the US, I never looked at it or what it does. Maybe that is set? bet Msinger will be in here before long with an answer on that one :)

I am on Chinese New Year holiday here in HK, heading back to UK next week. Will investigate about China map, I saw it was switched on last time I flew

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik