Newbie here, need some advise

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking at buying a Phantom 2 myself and need some advice on what too watch out for. My biggest question is, will it be ok if i just buy it with the original dji controller? or should invest more on the Futuba controller?

Put in mind that I am a beginner too and I am planning to do professional videography with it.

Hope you guys can help me on this one, Thanks!

Yep the stock controller works great.
If your looking to do pro footage you might look into a bigger platform that can handle a DLSR .

Thank you for the tip!

But I am only going to use my go pro for it so this platform will be perfect. I'm a little worried because with my limited budget, I couldn't afford the package that comes with the Futuba controller. And i've been seeing a lot of people telling their "flyaway" stories and i'm a little worried about that.

Their is a thread on here stock vs futaba the stock holds it ground I'm still using my stock controller never had a problem .
Fly aways are 90% user Error . I'd take the extra money they are charging and get yourself a FPV setup that will help you more than a futaba since your looking to make a job out of it .

750r said:
Their is a thread on here stock vs futaba the stock holds it ground I'm still using my stock controller never had a problem .
Fly aways are 90% user Error . I'd take the extra money they are charging and get yourself a FPV setup that will help you more than a futaba since your looking to make a job out of it .

+1 I have a Spektrum DXi8 that I use with my other heli's and aside from being able to program it... it is no better than the included controller in terms of actually controlling a helicopter. As said above - I'd use the money for other add ons and if you are truly new to this hobby - start building yourself a bit of a crash kit (extra props, extra motors, gimbal mounts, landing gear, a body (if you want)) - There's nothing worse that getting geared up for a full day of flying and something stupid like breaking a prop grounds you!

Having a reliable FPV system is a must so I won't get into that. If you're looking to do "professional" videography and you're a newbie to the Phantom, bare in mine you have a steep learning curve ahead of you. First of all, you'll need to learn the Phantom "system" inside and out. Second, you'll need to develop "professional" flying skills to get "professional" video results. Flying these things just for fun verses flying them with the goal of making sellable videos are two completely different animals. If you've never flown RC aircraft before, developing that skill will take some time. Granted these are relatively easy platforms to fly, but when it comes to getting smooth video and maneuvering through the air effectively to "get the shot", you'll need to read read read and practice practice practice. I've had my P2 for 8 months now and I feel like I am just now getting to the point where I can sell my video's without feeling like they're amateurish looking. Replacing the stock DJI controller with the Futaba T8FGS was the best thing I did to help smooth out my video footage. Upgrading from the Zenmuse H3-2D to the H3-3D gimbal was the second best thing I did. The Futaba is programmable which means you can adjust the control sticks output for smoother flight. I'm also able to control the rate at which the gimbal tilts up and down through various switches and knobs. Smooth gimbal tilt operation with the stock DJI controller is next to impossible without modifying it in some way. To answer your original question... If you plan to do "professional" videography", in my opinion sooner or later you're going to need to replace the stock controller with a third party controller, whether it's the Futaba brand or other. I still have my stock DJI controller and I can tell you this... after having flown with the Futaba for the past 4 months, if I tried to go back and use the stock controller, my video's would suffer.

DesertFlyer53 said:
Smooth gimbal tilt operation with the stock DJI controller is next to impossible without modifying it in some way.

I really have to respectfully disagree. Turn the gimbal gain right down in the PA software and it's very easy to get slow, smooth tilting. Of course having a programmable Tx helps in a lot of other ways, but this specific thing is something that you don't need a third-party Tx for.

HarryT said:
DesertFlyer53 said:
Smooth gimbal tilt operation with the stock DJI controller is next to impossible without modifying it in some way.

I really have to respectfully disagree. Turn the gimbal gain right down in the PA software and it's very easy to get slow, smooth tilting. Of course having a programmable Tx helps in a lot of other ways, but this specific thing is something that you don't need a third-party Tx for.

I stand corrected. However, I don't think it was possible in earlier versions of software.

adreyzasran said:
Thank you for the tip!

But I am only going to use my go pro for it so this platform will be perfect. I'm a little worried because with my limited budget, I couldn't afford the package that comes with the Futuba controller. And i've been seeing a lot of people telling their "flyaway" stories and i'm a little worried about that.

While the Futaba T8FGS would be a nice addition, it's not essential right away and not relevant to flyaways. As others have mentioned, FPV gear is a must to shoot professional video and one of your first priorities to shoot quality video (including iOSD and good googles or monitor).

IMHO having an inboard tracker is also a must should you lose control for any number of reasons.

I would not fly with a gimbal or your GoPro (3+ Black 14.4K right?) until you have logged 5 flight hours, especially if your budget is tight. And you should be rotating from among 3+ batteries each session, flying 30-45 minutes per flight day, starting in GPS before learning ATTI, HL and CL modes. During this phase you will be purchasing accessories like extra props, prop balancer, better FPV antennas, ND filters, tools, etc.

Also during this phase and as you add the gimbal and GP, develop a very comprehensive checklists:
- at home on the bench,
- at home prior to leaving on flight day,
- on site prior to flight,
- flight checklist

These will be your best insurance to avoid crashes/flyaways (I have over 100 reminders to consider on my lists). This means reading forums to learn the best practices from others AND avoiding dozens of no-no's that can lead to a catastrophe.

And if you are serious about shooting pro-video, I highly suggest you own two Phantoms to ensure you can get the job done. BTW hat type of pro video will you be shooting?

Thank you very much to everyone for taking the time to provide me a lot of advise that would be really valuable to me. I'll be sure to use them when i get my drone and this alone has definitely given me a head start of what to expect.

I have another question too actually, what are the ATTI, HL and CL modes?

moonlitnite said:
And if you are serious about shooting pro-video, I highly suggest you own two Phantoms to ensure you can get the job done. BTW hat type of pro video will you be shooting?

Me and my 2 friends are starting a small videography business and we are looking to better ourselves in terms of film making. Type of videos? probably from short films to making advertising videos/promotional videos for small business around us.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic