Newbie Help

Reaction score
Hi everyone and I'm looking for some help and advise. I've finally stopped staring at it, and unboxed and assembled the P3A I bought a week ago, charged the batteries and so I'm now at that point.... the maiden flight! Since getting it for Christmas present, I've been practicing indoors with a Syma 8XC, which is completely manual of course, but I now no longer have it crashing into walls and furniture, but have the really basic skill to keep it in a pretty stable hover. I have no idea if that can be transferred to the P3, but given its pretty cold and damp here in Surrey, England, an outside maiden flight is a no-no, so I was thinking about trying some initial (auto?) takeoffs and hovers inside? I have a 3m headroom in the main part of the house so should be fine from that perspective. Additionally, I will have to use my current iPad 2 for the Go app until my Air arrives later this week; I have formed a temp bracket for this for the remote, but also need your opinions whether this is also a no-no too.
If you guys think I'm nuts - tell me and I'll forget the idea, but if not, the DJI manual states it should be fine on its default out-of-the box settings for an indoor takeoff if I've read that right, but being a little sceptical can you confirm this should be the case?

Cheers... Rob

"but given its pretty cold and damp here in Surrey, England, an outside maiden flight is a no-no"

I live in a high desert (with a foot and a half of snow) so I don't know what "damp" is, but I've been flying in 25ºF/-3.8ºC and am just conservative with my battery–it really drops fast.

You put that thing on P-Mode with GPS (outside of course) and your hover challenge is gone. It'll stay put until the battery runs out of juice.

T

Reactions: Numone
"but given its pretty cold and damp here in Surrey, England, an outside maiden flight is a no-no"

I live in a high desert (with a foot and a half of snow) so I don't know what "damp" is, but I've been flying in 25ºF/-3.8ºC and am just conservative with my battery–it really drops fast.

You put that thing on P-Mode with GPS (outside of course) and your hover challenge is gone. It'll stay put until the battery runs out of juice.

T
Cheers - its currently +5c here and overcast. I's more about me being worried about a loss of aircraft than anything else. I appreciate the reply.

the DJI manual states it should be fine on its default out-of-the box settings for an indoor takeoff if I've read that right, but being a little sceptical can you confirm this should be the case
Flying indoors should really be reserved for highly skilled pilots.

Cheers - its currently +5c here and overcast. I's more about me being worried about a loss of aircraft than anything else. I appreciate the reply.

+5c? I'd be in the air right now! As long as it's not too windy, you're golden.

Compared with the Syma, your Phantom (in beginner mode) flies itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hi Numone

Don't be afraid to fly outdoors, I flew my P3P yesterday at around -1 to 0°C, very slight mist at about 200 feet altitude, kept mine around 100 feet most of the flight, flew 2 batteries down to 40% (new batteries only 3 charge cycles each) no problems.
Keep the batteries warm ( +15°C ) when out in the field at low temps, when flying warm them up gently, by not whacking the sticks over to full power, cruise around nice and easy, (your new to Phantom ) be gentle on the sticks, bring her home with at least 40 - 45% charge you will be OK.
Waylander

Compared with the Syma, your Phantom (in beginner mode) flies itself.

Thanks Skywalker. The Syma most certainly does NOT do that - its an utter nightmare! Still its $100 so there you go, but when I saw what that could do in the the hands of someone who really could pilot it well, it got me excited enough to spend $1,100 on a P3A! Incidentally, would "Beginner Mode" be the "out of the box" default, or is there literally a "beginner mode" on the Go app!?

Hi Numone

Don't be afraid to fly outdoors, I flew my P3P yesterday at around -1 to 0°C, very slight mist at about 200 feet altitude, kept mine around 100 feet most of the flight, flew 2 batteries down to 40% (new batteries only 3 charge cycles each) no problems.
Keep the batteries warm ( +15°C ) when out in the field at low temps, when flying warm them up gently, by not whacking the sticks over to full power, cruise around nice and easy, (your new to Phantom ) be gentle on the sticks, bring her home with at least 40 - 45% charge you will be OK.
Waylander

Thanks Waylander - its just that initial fear I guess. A friend of mine, who is a fixed wing pilot on private jets and twin props said he could completely understand it though.

I started with a Syma 5c. Bounced it off the walls for a few weeks. Then went to a DJI event. Couldn't believe how easy it was fly. I also won the door prize of 30% off! My Syma lives in the closet now.

Yes, Beginner Mode is a GO setting. You won't use it after the first flight (or two).

I flew my P3A for the first time yesterday with a temperature of 19°F (-7°C) while we were getting a few snow flurries without any problems. Biggest thing I noticed was how quick the battery on my Android device dropped.
IP_web.jpg

I started with a Syma 5c. Bounced it off the walls for a few weeks. Then went to a DJI event. Couldn't believe how easy it was fly. I also won the door prize of 30% off! My Syma lives in the closet now.

Yes, Beginner Mode is a GO setting. You won't use it after the first flight (or two).

Thank you so much Skywalker, that's really helpful....and yep, I recognise the bouncing off the wall syndrome.... LOL!

My maiden flight with my p3p was hovering for a few minutes in my living room.. As long as you have a good GPS lock and you have some piloting skills there shouldn't be any problems. With GPS these things are stable, it will basically hover itself.. But make sure you have a strong GPS signal, if not it could go to Atti mode momentarily and start to drift. Not a big deal but it can catch you off guard if not paying attention. If you dont want to fly it in the house another alternative is a garage..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik