Newbie gimbal question

Reaction score
Hi so got the bird up a few times today but I'm kinda at a loss with how the gimbal stays in a down, kinda limp gloating state when the phantom is not turned on. Seems cry flimsy and I could foresee this being an issue. Are you guys placing the little plastic piece from shipping that is removed during first flight to hold the camera 'still" while is powered down? If not do u just let yours hang while not using? Thanks

Reactions: mmee1992
Hi so got the bird up a few times today but I'm kinda at a loss with how the gimbal stays in a down, kinda limp gloating state when the phantom is not turned on. Seems cry flimsy and I could foresee this being an issue. Are you guys placing the little plastic piece from shipping that is removed during first flight to hold the camera 'still" while is powered down? If not do u just let yours hang while not using? Thanks
Yes that is what the plastic pice is for. Not just shipping. It is a gimbal clamp to keep the gimbal steady when it isn't powered.

Though I will say the clamp is not very good. A lot of better aftermarket options available. I think you can find some on phantomhelp.com.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1444001911.037455.jpg

Most people install a gimbal clamp to keep it stationary and so it doesn't get messed up during transport.

But be sure you take it off before powering on your Phantom or it could damage the gimbal.

Last edited:
Just let it hang when it's sitting on the shelf and not being used. You only need the clamp when transporting. It hangs because it is not powered up. There's nothing flimsy about it.

Though I will say the clamp is not very good. A lot of better aftermarket options available. I think you can find some on phantomhelp.com.
There is nothing wrong wit the gimbal lock that is supplied with the P3-- if it is installed properly-- it is quit easy to install properly if you tip the Phantom over on the right arms so you can see the notch in the gimbal mount that it slides into-- if fits firmly and will not come out. They come loose because they are not properly installed.:)

Reactions: mmee1992

answer to that is no, we put it on after its powered down and hanging. When the gimbal motors are energized it is best not to touch it as it will oppose any motion!

Reactions: bobmyers
There is nothing wrong wit the gimbal lock that is supplied with the P3-- if it is installed properly-- it is quit easy to install properly if you tip the Phantom over on the right arms so you can see the notch in the gimbal mount that it slides into-- if fits firmly and will not come out. They come loose because they are not properly installed.:)
I install mine that way all the time and somehow it still falls off in my case. There are way better options out there.

View attachment 32755

Most people install a gimbal clamp to keep it stationary and so it doesn't get messed up during transport.

But be sure you take it off before powering on your Phantom or it could damage the gimbal.
this type of gimbal holder is ok if you dont fit the ND filters. (it wont fit over them when the ND filter is on the phantom)

this type of gimbal holder is ok if you dont fit the ND filters. (it wont fit over them when the ND filter is on the phantom)
Yeah I use the filter inserts from Phantomfilters.com which go in behind the factory ND filter. So this works good for that set up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20