Newbie from NC

Reaction score
Wanted to introduce myself.

My name is Billy and I'm in NC. I got bit hard by this bug. My wife surprised me with a syma X5SW for Father's day. I was thrilled but quickly realized I wanted more.

After doing research I think I've decided I want either a P3S with some kind of range mod or maybe a used P3A.

Will fly in my town and neighboring larger city where I work. Will also fly at there beach where we vacation often.

I've enjoyed reading through this forum looking for advice and getting familiar with the community.

If anyone has any advice I am happy to listen.

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

I'd go with a P3A. You'll probably get a better signal in those locations since it does not use Wi-Fi.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Welcome to the forum .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Welcome to the forum. Also from NC here but on the Western tip (near Asheville).

What's your budget for this? I am very pleased with the Phantom3 series and I agree with @msinger that you'd be better off with a P3A as opposed to P3S boosted.

If budget allows you might want to look into a Mavic for portability.

Thanks for the replies all!

I'm trying to squeak as much out of my money as possible. The wife is not on board so I'm trying to get "my foot in the door" and build from there, hence my thought of a standard and then some modifications. Budget is around $500 ish. Been eyeing Craigslist/ebay to see what is available. I also want to spend wisely so I could spend more for a better product.

Once concern I have is that it seems the phantom 3's were released in 2015. Since we are 2 years out from there now, do you think we will start seeing the prices dropping or staying stagnant?

I do agree that the advanced is probably what I should go with solely for Lightbridge, since i live and work in a fairly congested wifi area.

Prices are pretty rock bottom already because there are 3 new hobby grade models after the P3 with variations in some of those already:

P4, P4P, P4P+
Mavic Pro
Spark

So I don't know that there is a lot of price wiggle room left.

Once you get a P3S and add the range mods to it you've probably already spent the same amount of $ as a P3A and you still won't have the bonus features that a P3A will have.

I've got a P3S and a P3P (P3A with just a pinch better resolution) and they are night and day different. I like my P3S but it's just in a different class from the P3A or P3P.

Thanks BigAl! Sounds like I should stop being cheap and buy the right thing to begin with. Now I just need to figure out what line of reasoning I'm going to use on my wife to make it sound like this will allow me to spend more time with the family and help her out around the house more! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20